Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Merge Request error

Please, please, please help. First time user of Actinic

I have been working with a trial version of Audio Store for about 3 weeks. I can upload to the Actinic trial site without problem and perform test purchases etc.

However when I attempt to upload to my test site (hosted by 1&1.co.uk, on a Linux server) I receive the following error message …

Actinic is not able to run the CGI scripts on the server. It appears as if the scripts are not installed. The most likely cause is that you have an incorrect CGI-BIN URL. If you've never uploaded the site, then you should do it before a download of orders. If you've uploaded the site ever, then Run Web | Configure Web Site Details... to review your web site configuration.

The cgi bin URL is …

http://www.bctonline.co.uk/cgi-bin/

I then get the following error message …

The web server returned error code 404 - Requested URL not found. This means Actinic can not execute the CGI scripts on your web site. Run Web | Configure Web Site Details... to check the web setup.

As instructed I go to Web, Configure Website Details, both boxes are unchecked, click next to confirm web site URL “http://www.bctonline.co.uk”, click next and I receive the following message …

“The wizard received an error while verifying the web server. Error sending request.”

Despite these error messages it appears I can still upload the files to my test site. During the upload I get the same message as above “Actinic is not able to run the CGI scripts”. If I click cancel the upload continues to the point when I receive another error message …

“An error occurred while sending the merge request”

Files have been uploaded to “acatalog”, the cgi-bin folders and index.html is in the root. Permissions are set as 755, 755 and 644 respectively. I have also tried changing these to 777

Despite having searched these threads at some length, and many a late night until 3 and 4.00am, I still have this merge request problem. I have tried all the suggested tips, change permissions, enable passive ftp, tried enhanced ftp, compacted the database, refreshed the site, web site purge and refresh deleting .cat and .fil files, disabled Norton firewall, excluded FTP Pathname Glob BufferOverflow within intrusion detection, erased both the “acatalog” and cgi-bin folders on the site, but to no avail.

Can anyone please help!

Mark
    www.bluecitytrading.co.uk

Which 1&1 package are you on? Have you checked the permissions on the files inside the cgi-bin folder?

What message(s) do you get from Advanced | Network Setup Test button?
    Bill
    www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
    Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
    BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
    Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
    VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
    Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

Permissions are set as 755, 755 and 644 respectively.
      What has it's permissions set to 644?

Mike
      -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

Bill.

The package with 1&1 is SME 6 months free package. I have just spoken with 1&1 customer support to make sure this package supports CGI scripts. They told me it does and is the same as the Business Package.

The permissions of the CGI folder is 755, as is all the files within. I have also tried changing this to 777 but no go.

The messages received when I go to Advanced │Network Setup Test button is as follows ...

Actinic is not able to run the CGI scripts on the server. It appears as if the scripts are not installed. The most likely cause is that you have an incorrect CGI-BIN URL. If you've never uploaded the site, then you should do it before a download of orders. If you've uploaded the site ever, then Run Web | Configure Web Site Details... to review your web site configuration.

I click on OK, then ...

The web server returned error code 404 - Requested URL not found. This means Actinic can not execute the CGI scripts on your web site. Run Web | Configure Web Site Details... to check the web setup.

Mike.

The index.html file is set as 644

Not sure if there is anything here which might help!

HTTPPROXYMODE 0
        HTTPPROXYADDRESS
        HTTPPROXYPORT 80
        HTTPPROXYUSER
        HTTPPROXYPASSWORD
        FTPPROXYMODE 0
        FTPPROXYADDRESS
        FTPPROXYPORT 21
        FTPPROXYUSER
        FTPPROXYPASSWORD
        SCRIPTID 1
        SCRIPTEXT .pl
        SMTPHOST auth.smtp.1and1.co.uk
        WEBSITEURL http://www.bctonline.co.uk
        IGNOREPASSIVEERRORS true
        USERELATIVECGIURLS false
        PATHTOPERL /usr/bin/perl
        USEENHANCEFTP true
        FTPCLIENTTIMEOUT 15000
        FTPRETRYDELAY 3000
        FTPSILENT false
        FTPMAXRETRIES 3
        FTPCONNECTTIMEOUT 25000
        SMTPAUTHREQUIRED false
        SMTPUSERNAME
        SMTPPASSWORD
        CATALOGURL http://www.bctonline.co.uk/acatalog/
        CGIBINURL http://www.bctonline.co.uk/cgi-bin/
        PATHFROMCGITOCATALOG ../acatalog/
        CODEBASE ./
        FTPHOST ftp.bctonline.co.uk
        FTPUSERNAME *********
        FTPPASSWORD ********
        PATHTOCGIBIN /cgi-bin/
        USEPASSIVEFTP true
        FTPPATHFROMCGITOCATALOG

Many thanks in advance for your help guys.

Mark

Comment

The network settings look right to me (the same as I'm using on 1and1 without any problems)

You might want to try auth.smtp.oneandone.co.uk as the smtp server if you run into problems later.

Actinic isn't in some sort of trial / test mode that makes it think the scripts are already installed is it.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by olderscot
            Actinic isn't in some sort of trial / test mode that makes it think the scripts are already installed is it.
            The FTP section of Advanced│Network Setup is not greyed out, nor is Web│Configure web site details.

Comment

Mike. Thanks for your continued help on this.

I have made the change as suggested above regarding auth.smtp.oneandone.co.uk. Tried to upload but no go.

I should have mentioned my ISP is BT Yahoo Internet (2MB) and I'm using a Belkin Wireless router model F5D7633uk4A with built-in firewall.

Whilst viewing the Knowledge Base files under Version 7│Uploading│Error messages while Uploading, I found this entry ...

Issue:
              When using BTopenworld ADSL, I get an error message during "merging files" at the end of the upload process.

Solution:
              This is caused by BT's ADSL service using a "transparent cache".

In Advanced | Network setup, click on PROXY and enter the following:

For HTTP proxy:
              Select Proxy
              Server Address: 172.16.102.15
              Port: 3128
              Username: <leave blank>
              Password: <leave blank>

For FTP proxy:
              Select None

I have made these changes. Now when I try to upload I get ...

Actinic received a network error while merging files on the server. Try again later and contact your network administrator if the problem persists. The operation timed out

Have tried this several times now. Also when I go to Advanced│Network Setup│Test button I receive the following ...

The operation timed out. I click OK, and ...

The test script failed to execute on the web server. The error could be caused by several things. Check the path to the Perl shell, the CGI-BIN URL, and the proxy WWW port.. This error could also occur if your web site is out of disk space or your web server is not configured to accept POSTs to CGI scripts.

I have emailed 1&1 support with the contents of mail2hst.txt and await their reply.

Is it something i've missed or am I just having a bad week!

Mark

Comment

the only thing I can suggest is to try and run the network wizard and see what happens.

Note: NOT "Run Web | Configure Web Site Details" as this might only be for use if you've successfully uploaded before.

Mike

Comment

Check Nadeems post here http://community.actinic.com/showthread.php?t=15548 about ports that need to be open on the router. This might help.

Mike

Comment

When I run the Network wizard it reports the following ...

The wizard received an error while verifying the web server. Error sending request.

Have read Nadeems post regarding ports, will phone Belkin Support tomorrow for advice as I'm not to sure how to configure the router.

Mark

Comment

Have spoken with Belkin Support over the weekend and have now configured the ports as suggested via the link in #9 above. This has made no difference.

If I enable the proxy settings as suggested in the Knowledge Base (see #7) the message received when I click Web│Update website is ...

Actinic received a network error while merging files on the server. Try again later and contact your network administrator if the problem persists. The operation timed out

If I switch the settings back to HTTP│None then I get ...

An error occured while sending the merge request.

If I use the wizard I get yet another message as in #10 above.

I've tried Advanced│Generate Script Files and followed the instructions, but its a no go situation. I'm sure its going to be something so simple, its probably starring me in the face.

If anyone would like to take a look around the 1&1 control panel, let me know and I will supply the details. I'm using www.bctonline.co.uk (1&1 SME / Business Package) as a test site at the moment before I upload my full version of Actinic to my real site.

I've got the latest V7.05 30 day trial of Audio Store and still getting the same problem.

Your help would be much appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

PS. I will be unable to reply until 01/10/05 as I will be away for a few days.

Mark

Comment

I have now received a reply from 1&1 and have posted it below. Hopefully it may help others using the same hosting company.

Dear Mark (Cust: *******)

Thank you for contacting us.

The answers to your questions are given under them (below).

Subject: Actinic Catalog installation

I recently purchased the software product Actinic Catalog to enable me to sell over the web. In order for Catalog to install the web site properly I need some information. I would be grateful if you could answer my questions below. If any of these are unclear, please could you email support@actinic.co.uk who can clarify any points, and let you know how you can easily support or supply Catalog.

The easiest thing for me would be if you quote each question and then fill in your answer to that question underneath it. I can then copy your response into the correct place in the Actinic Catalog configuration preferences.

First I need to know if my site will be able to run Catalog:

a) Do I have CGI script capabilities? (Yes/No)
                        Yes

b) Do I have access to Perl 5.002 or higher at my site? (Yes/No)
                        Yes

c) Do I have the ability to update my site using FTP? (Yes/No)
                        Yes

d) Do I have the ability to POST data to my CGI scripts? (Yes/No)
                        Yes

If the answer to any of the above is "No", please let me know what would be the cost, if it's possible, of upgrading my site for FTP/CGI/Perl.

e) Do the http server host and ftp server host each see a different map of the directory structure? (The answer is usually "No" but please see note (i) below). (Yes/No)

No, but if you have assigned a different directory (other than the root) to a domain, then the answer is yes

f) Is the CGI script directory for my site shared with anyone else?
                        (Please see note (ii) below). (Yes/No)
                        No

If the answer to either e) or f) is "Yes", then please could you contact support@actinic.com for instructions on how to use Catalog on this site.

Otherwise, please can you help with the following detailed questions:

1) [Configuration: CGI Script ID Number] 1
                        Not normally changed (see note (ii) below)

2) [Configuration: Mail (SMTP) Server]
                        What is the full hostname or IP address of the SMTP mail server?
                        (e.g. www.mysite.com)
                        auth.smtp.1and1.co.uk

3) [Configuration: CGI-BIN URL]
                        What is the complete URL of the place where I must place CGI scripts for my site?
                        (e.g. http://www.mycompany.com/cgi-bin)

Create a directory in the root of your FTP folder and call it 'cgi-bin', then the answer to the question is: http://www.bctonline.co.uk/cgi-bin

4) [Configuration: Path from CGI-BIN to catalog directory]
                        The Catalog CGI script needs to know where my web site directory is. What is the path from the directory in which the cgi-bin executes to my web site directory? (e.g. ../catalog/, ..\mysite\)

cgi-bin/

5) [Configuration: Path to the Perl shell (For UNIX servers only)]
                        What is the absolute path of the Perl interpreter? (e.g. /usr/bin/perl)

infong320.schlund.de:/kunden/homepages/25/d1153*****/htdocs/

6) [Configuration: Perl extension]
                        What extension should I use for my Perl scripts? (e.g. .pl, .cgi)

.cgi

7) [Installation: FTP Server Host]
                        What is the full hostname or IP address of the FTP server that has access to the CGI script directory and my web pages? (e.g. www.mycompany.co.uk)

bctonline.co.uk

8) [Installation: Username / Password]
                        Will my standard login username and password work with this FTP server? If not, what username and password do I need to use? (e.g. Login: Joe, Password: qr001)

For security reasons, I cannot give you your password, however you could get them when you login to your configuration page (admin.1and1.co.uk), and click on 'Webspace access' -> 'FTP Account'.

9) [Installation: Path to CGI-BIN]
                        Once I am logged into the FTP session, what is the path to the CGI script directory? (e.g. cgi-bin, ..\cgi-bin, /www/server/cgi-bin, etc.)

cgi-bin

10) [Installation: Path from FTP server to Catalog]
                        What is the path from the cgi directory to the Catalog directory as seen by the FTP server (see note (i) below and leave blank if FTP sees things as CGI does)

Leave blank

Not sure if I understand the reply to question 5). Can anyone advise?
                        and thought the reply to question 6) should have been .pl

Any comments welcome!

Mark

Comment

Q5 - they have given you the absolute path from the root of the server you are on - you can safely ignore this and use /usr/bin/perl

Q6 - .pl works for me - both work for Actinic

Have you gone to your 1 & 1 Control Panel and created the cgi-bin directory and set permissions?

If you are really stuck, you can email me your details and I will have a look, but you may be more comfortable contacting Actinic Support who offer assistance with website setup at http://www.actinic.co.uk/support/register.htm
                          Bill

Comment

William. Many thanks for your time.

The cgi-bin folder has been created and the permission is set as 755. The acatalog folder is set to 777.

I don't have a problem with sending you the details. I will email them to you as this is only being used as a test site prior to uploading to my current live site also hosted by 1&1 (business).

I didn't want to use my live site for reasons which I'm sure you can understand, before knowing that Actinic was going to work okay.

Regards
                            Mark

Comment

You are now working - I un-assigned WSC from the domain, and repointed the domain at the website route.

One thing, before you do anything else, can you check the website URL in Advanced | Network settings. This should point to http://www.bctonline.co.uk/

rgds
                              Bill

Comment

Working...
                              X