1and1 FTP & email hanging frequently...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1and1 FTP & email hanging frequently...

I know this is not due to Actinic but I'd like to hear if other 1and1 users have this issue:

I have three contract packages with 1and1 (MSHome, Dev eShop & Bus Pro) some for about a year or so. I have multiple domains and email accounts with each. I am using Actinic on the Bus Pro package.

What I notice is that frequently (maybe every hour or so) all my email is inaccessible for about 10 minutes. Also at this time, much more importantly, ftp is also not accessible and hence my uploads timeout. I then have to wait around 5-10 minutes before it will work again. This is a real pain when I am uploading large files etc.

I have noticed this at another remote location also (different PC and ISP etc) when accessing the control panel and with email.

Any ideas anyone please???

Duncan

I don't have an answer for you but as I have begun to transfer domains from their various other places hosted to 1 and 1 this is a concern.

So I'm writing to keep a track on this thread.

Maybe it's becasue they don't like the name Duncan

Regards Duncan Allan
    Ph: 0845 838 1 839

Comment

Not noticed this at all.

You share the name Duncan and the use of 1 & 1, maybe you also share an ISP, and the problem is with the ISP connection provider.
      Bill
      www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
      Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
      BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
      Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
      VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
      Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

I'm with ntl but I have seen this or similar whilst using ftp at other locations also - ie different ISPs - although it's not often I connect away from base - so can't be 100% sure of having the same exact problem.

I can live with it - I have for over a year, but it's anoying when I do large uploads. I recently moved most of my domains across from MSHome to Bus Pro but I still see the same thing happening.

I have no problems on the 'front side' as it were - the sites are all always available and fast.

Must be me I guess (or my name of course) - Im looking into my own network setup to see if I can see something wrong - perhaps with my wireless network or router.

Duncan

Comment

Do a search on Router setting within the forum and you will pick up some known problems, mostly with particular routers needing MTU adjusted.

I'm using a D-Link DSL-G604T FYI.
          Bill
          www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
          Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
          BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
          Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
          VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
          Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

Thanks Bill.

I'm using a Linksys router. The MTU was set to auto - I've changed it to manual and 1500 - I'll give it a try at this for a while and see.

Duncan

Comment

We are also with 1 & 1 on a standard Business Package.

No problems experienced with FTP

A few months ago we would occasionally find we were unable to download emails from 1 & 1 - this was an intermittent problem a couple of times a week - cause unknown - normally resolved itself after 5 to 30 minutes.

All OK recently (touch wood). We have been with 1 & 1 for over 4 years and are pretty happy with them.
              Last edited by Andrew Mellor; 23-Oct-2005, 07:50 PM. Reason: Minor Correction
              Andrew Mellor
              Collectors Supplies http://www.csbooks.co.uk 01633 615601 Skype - csbooks
              Reference Books & Price Guides on Antiques & Collectables
              ==============================================================

Comment

We're on a 1and1 dedicated server, no problems with FTP (yet) but our email is on 1and1 mailserver and we have had some wierd effects, emails coming thru twice, all emails on the server coming thru all over again (450 emails!!)etc
                I'm hoping they were glitches and won't recur, but not very confident now!

Comment

I use some 1and1 accounts and would say I have noticed a couple of glitches with the mail server but only the last couples of weeks (never had a problem before) and no problem with ftp.

Like Andrew Mellor I have had accounts for over 4 years and in the main I am pretty happy although their support has become worse (always blame you first before they actually realise you know what you are on about most host are the same though).

regards
                  bangers
                  Boxhedge New Media Design
                  Design and development solutions for SME's.
                  Tel: 0118 966 2786
                  Examples of work can be found at http://www.boxhedge.com

Comment

Working...
                  X