This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone hosted on BT?

I'm a new Actinic Catalog user and although I am technically competent (sometimes) I am having great difficulty in making use of my btconnect web space.

BT told me that I need to purchase their "Web Publisher" option which allows custom CGI scripts to be used. After purchasing this option I am now getting a general "Error" message in my browser when any of my catalog scripts are run. My catalog is currently on http://home.btconnect.com/peakelec/a...shopindex.html

Has anyone else got their site hosted by BT, if so, what package with BT are you using?

BT are fantastically unhelpful, maybe they should stick to tearing down telephone boxes, they're good at that.

Any help very gratefully received as I have spent a blinkin' fortune on the BT web space, domain hosting, web publisher option and of course (the very reasonably priced) actinic software.

Kind regards
    Jez Siddons
    Peak Electronic Design Limited

Bit late now, but my advice is stay away from BT as much as possible, and not just for hosting. We have 2 clients who are desperately trying to transfer out domain names, but BT just won't let them.

Allen

Comment

Can you show us your network settings. We may see what is wrong then
      Owner of a broken heart

Comment

Allen,

Any ISP that you particularly recommend for hosting that also offer REAL full rights CGI-BIN and secure space?

Many thanks!

Kind regards,
        Jez Siddons

Comment

Gary,

Yep, here goes:

HTTPPROXYMODE 0
          HTTPPROXYADDRESS
          HTTPPROXYPORT 80
          HTTPPROXYUSER
          HTTPPROXYPASSWORD
          FTPPROXYMODE 0
          FTPPROXYADDRESS
          FTPPROXYPORT 21
          FTPPROXYUSER
          FTPPROXYPASSWORD
          SCRIPTID 0
          SCRIPTEXT .pl
          SMTPHOST
          WEBSITEURL http://home.btconnect.com/peakelec
          IGNOREPASSIVEERRORS true
          PATHTOPERL /usr/local/bin/perl
          CATALOGURL http://home.btconnect.com/peakelec/acatalog/
          CGIBINURL http://home.btconnect.com/peakelec/cust-bin/
          PATHFROMCGITOCATALOG ../acatalog/
          CODEBASE ./
          FTPHOST ftp.btconnect.com
          FTPUSERNAME peakelec
          FTPPASSWORD *******
          PATHTOCGIBIN /docs/cust-bin/
          USEPASSIVEFTP false
          FTPPATHFROMCGITOCATALOG

I'm currently using Actinic V5.1.5. I understand from Darren at Actinic that it appears as though permissions in my web space (in particular the acatalog directory) are not correct and can't be modified. I know that scripts CAN run, such as a "helloworld5.pl" that Darren uploaded to test in the CUST-BIN directory. Note that the path to the perl shell appears to be non-standard although I believe this is correct for the BT web space.

By the way, I am happy to send you my FTP password separately by email if you wish to try things out, currently my online shop is not publicised and is a bit rough round the edges anyway!

Cheers,
          Jez Siddons

Comment

JEZ

You will need to change the permissions for the acatalog directory. If as you say you can't do this then the site will not work correctly.

If you e-mail me off the list I can let you use some space for testing your site.
            Owner of a broken heart

Comment

Originally posted by jezsiddons
              Allen,

Any ISP that you particularly recommend for hosting that also offer REAL full rights CGI-BIN and secure space?

Many thanks!

Kind regards,
              Well, since there's no forum rules, there's no band on advertising:
              http://www.smarthosting.co.uk/

Allen

Comment

Well, since there's no forum rules, there's no band on advertising:

<fx: coughs and indicates towards top right hand corner of page>

I have just added the rules and regs, which include no 'promotion' - but I'll let it go this time...

Comment

Chris

Surely you can advertise your gold partners, I wont mention the one im with but they are very helpful with competent telephone help, and settings for using actinic.

cheers
                  Darren

Comment

Surely mentioning company names must be OK if it's in answer to a direct question for the purpose of solving a customer's problem. I'm very grateful for your help so far!!
                    Jez Siddons

Comment

The forum policy is in place to stop people from advertising their own goods and services. I can see now that Allen was not advertising his own company, but someone else's so that is not a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by cdicken
                        The forum policy is in place to stop people from advertising their own goods and services. I can see now that Allen was not advertising his own company, but someone else's so that is not a problem.
                        You obviously don't know what company I work for then

Anyway, you've put links to our pages on the forums yourselves

Allen

Comment

You obviously don't know what company I work for then

Guilty as charged. Sorry about that.

Comment

I would prefer no direct advertising in the forum, and no overt recommendations of others either. We had an advertising ban in the Lyris forum and I felt it worked.

There are many forum members who are web developers, hosts etc. , most of these people (including myself) put that fact in their signature.

These forum members also regularly answer more questions than they ask and as a result get plenty of enquiries from other forum users for help which often leads to quoting for extra work.

I feel that that is as far as advertising should go. Otherwise we will go back to the old bun fight of which host is best etc etc etc.

Comment

Chris any chance we can end this tread as poor jezsiddons original question seems to have been lost, I feel i am partly to blame for this deviation.

Cheers
                              Darren

Comment

Working...
                              X