Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing the appearance of the site

Hi,
    I am still relatively new to Actinic and am not sure how all the different aspects link together and which bits i can change without upsetting what i have already done.
    More specifically:
    I selected 'Clean layout 9' before starting to add products.
    If i change the layout (theme?) now to ,say 'Clean layout 14', will i lose any data?.

I would like to see what the site would look like with a bar down both sides of the page rather than just on the left.

Thats the end of that bit.

More specifically again.
    1) I want to add an image to the left hand bar and i want to have a list of links to sections, on the bar, that stay in the same position on all the pages (Product, Checkout, View cart etc) if possible. How can do i do that?.
    2) This is probably not an actinic specific question; how do i change the look of the buttons (the grey 'steel' navigation buttons that say 'products', 'More' etc) ie , how do i create new buttons?.
    cheers
    John
    Last edited by john goodstar; 17-Dec-2005, 02:57 PM. Reason: oops -

Applying a new theme will not lose any date - it just replaces the Act_Templates which style the layout - the data is held in the actinic database. Best to always do a snapshot of the site before doing any major template changes - when you make the theme change you will get the option to make a back up of the exisiting theme in case you don't like the new one.

To add a new image to the page you will need to add the image into the main templaes ie Act_Primary.html, Act_PrimaryCheckout.html and Act_BrochurePrimary.html .. these can be found in the root of the Site1 folder.

As for changing the buttons I am not familiar with that theme but it may be one of the themes where the buttons are fixed to the template. Maybe someone else can clarify that for you

Bikster
    SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

if you want to use different buttons, check the contents of site1 to determine the names of the images ie mail1.gif, mail2.gif etc

then use image manipulation software (PaintShop Pro for example) to create new buttons, copy them into site1 to replace the current ones.

Make sure you keep copies of your custom buttons elsewhere as if yo change themes again the buttons will be overwritten with the buttons that go withthe new theme.

Comment

site appearance

Hi,
        Thanks for both your replies.

I will try out those changes.

The look i want to get is something like that achieved in
        http://www.gardengadgets.co.uk/acatalog/index.html

(with links to sections/products in the left bar and with an image in the bar.)

( I would prefer to get the navigation buttons on to the top line as here as well.)

Cheers
        John

Comment

still struggling with section buttons

Hi,
          I have tried following the instructions on Page 41 of the advanced user guide

'Inserting a List of Section Images With JavaScript'

I put the first bit of code in Act-Primary and the second bit in Act-Brochure primary

What happens when testing that in preview is, instead of the Section button(s) appearing, the code is literally reproduced in the Nav bar.
          Can anyone explain how i can get the section button(s) onto the Nav bar

Thanks in anticipation
          John

Comment

Taking People Straight to a Section

Hi
            I am now trying a different tack:
            On page 45 of the AUG are instructions on how to take people straight to a section.
            It says
            • Section%5fPage%2ehtml is the filename of your desired page. Note that you have to encode any non-alphanumeric characters so an underscore '_' becomes '%5f' and a full stop '.' becomes '%2e'

How do i know what is the filename of the desired page?

Any help would be most welcome.

John

Comment

John,

With the section images with Javascript bit, you will notice that the instructions say "And then insert the following code in the main body of the page where you want the image list to appear.", this is to be done within the same template page. If you want it also appearing on your Brochure page, then you need to insert the first bit of code in the <HEAD> </HEAD> tags of Act_BrochurePrimary.html and the second bit within the <BODY> </BODY> tags of the same page. This stands good for the catalog pages which are controlled by Act_primary.html.

To get the section page names, take a look at what you have named the section, for example "Basic Products". This forms the basis for the page name followed by a .html. In the name, spaces will be converted to "_" (Underscore) and this needs to be converted as described, as will the "." (fullstop/dot) have to be converted. If you use other special characters in the name, they too will need to be encoded.

Kind regards,
              Bruce King
              SellerDeck

Comment

sections

Thanks Bruce,
                Gradually getting the hang of it.
                Incidentally, where can i get the codes for other characters?
                cheers
                John

Comment

This will show you most ascii characters (top table):
                  http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/papers/ascii.html

Comment

Working...
                  X