My server host is worried about security

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My server host is worried about security

My website is hosted by a local company, who use a hosting service where the website actually resides. My Actinic on-line store was working, but my website people have recently changed supplier for the hosting, and we now have a problem. The hosting people are concerned about Actinic using perl scripts and say that giving Actinic the authorities it needs poses a hacking threat to the entire server. They won't allow the authorities to be set-up, and my on-line store is currently not working.

Has anyone come across this problem? Can I reassure the hosts, or will I have to move to another supplier?

Many Thanks for your advice

For your web hosts to completely reject Perl altogether is rather extreme. The permissions required are detailed in the Advanced User Guide and there are thousands of Actinic sites running on the UK's leading hosting providers.

What you can do is send them all the *.pm and *.pl that Actinic uploads and then let them check them out for themselves. If they really understand Perl then they should see that Actinic does not operate outside of the 'acatalog' folder. If you want a list of them, go to 'Advanced | Generate Scripts'.

I don't know if there are any hosts on here who would like to provide some further reassurances.

Comment

Working...
    X