X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SMTP problems

Actinic 6 AND Actinic 7

We're suddenly getting problems with our SMTP settings:
    <<The computer you specified as your mail server is not a valid mail (SMTP) server. Check the computer name or address and try again. If it fails again, then it is possible, you were locked out by a firewall program, or you don't have network connection to this server.

Mail server messages:

Connect Failed (Connection refused)
    >>

I know that the ISP has recently upgraded the server but they seem a bit stumped.

Before we get too panicky though...

We do get an e-mail from the credit card processor/actinic confirming the order has been paid for, our problem is that the "order" module won't send mails (SMTP error) after processing them.

My question is: does the "paid for" e-mail emanate from Actinic scripts, if not then we can be sure we have a problem on the server, if it does then any ideas why the "order" module refuses to do so?

(tried localhost etc etc, none of which resolve the problem)

THe network test is OK except for the SMTP section.

Dave

who is your host, and what SMTP settings do you have in network settings?

Comment

The order paid email comes from the PSP not actinic so it looks as if you do have an smtp problem.

Who's your webhost and what are your smtp settings?

Mike

I'm sure I'd have got my post in before Jo if I hadn't bothered with the first paragraph.
      -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

Host is a small set up webstatic.co.uk. The guy is always very helpful & in the past always comes up with the goods. He'll go out of his way to help, but this time I think he's a bit out of his depth.

Network settings
        serverhost www.ibdstore.org
        username & password both OK
        CGI script ID 1 Extension .pl
        Mail (SMTP) localhost
        web site http://www.ibdstore.org/
        ignore passive transfer & use enhanced ftp ticked

TEST says everythiing OK except SMTP

(did I mention that both these sites ( the V7 one has identical settings except obviously for the web URL, passwords etc) have both been running fine for 3 years or so?))

Thanks for the interest both

Dave

Comment

The webstatic support page says you should be using mail.ibdstore.co.uk with your username and password. Does this work?

It's possible that localhost used to work but that they've changed the settings.

Mike

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

Thanks MIke.
            We've tried every combination of setting.
            With the IBDStore it's running on V6 so there's no facility for using authentication
            However on the V7 site (www.wine-encore-shop.com) I've tried using authentication and still get the same error message
            <<
            The computer you specified as your mail server is not a valid mail (SMTP) server. Check the computer name or address and try again. If it fails again, then it is possible, you were locked out by a firewall program, or you don't have network connection to this server.>>

We've used Normans sendmail fix on the V6 site (IBDStore), worked perfectly:Thanks Norman) but it's not available for V7 and anyway it bugs me to have use workarounds, however good they are.

I can't help starting to think that this is a Perl problem?

Comment

Hi Dave,

The ISP has probably increased the security on the SMTP server due to spamming issues.

Actinic sends text message to Port 25 of the SMTP server. If I try to telnet that port with the server, mail.ibdstore.co.uk, it is unsuccessful. So it might be worth checking to see if port 25 is blocked.
              Regards,

Toby Blanchard

Comment

Thanks Toby
                Indeed port 25 is blocked, but even with V7 trying to use authentication I keep getting error messages or am I being too hopeful (i.e. if port 25 is blocked is that it, end, finito?http://community.actinic.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

The v7 we have running is www.wine-encore-shop.com. Again in theory it should be mail.wine-encore-shop.com. Would it be too much trouble to see if you can telnet that? (sorry my abilities with telnet etc are zero)
                Dave

Comment

Yup that seemed to work.

Is it possible you have a firewall that’s blocking your email?
                  Can you try temporally disabling it and test the settings?

If that fails I think the next course of action would be to raise a support ticket here. We can then test your settings at our end.

Sadly you cannot change the email port in Actinic.
                  Regards,

Toby Blanchard

Comment

Firewall!!
                    Sorry I've been thick: Whenever i thought firewall I thought server, not the local machine.
                    Many many thanks for (everyones) help.
                    localhost+username+password
                    Thanks again

Dave

Comment

hello i have been experiencing similar problems. our service provider has updated things there side and our mail system is not working properly. i recieve the same message as dave. I have just spoken to our server people and they say that ourt SMTP has not changed.

what else should i be askinf them to do?

With regards to the firewall is this on my local pc or the server??? if so what do i do...

Any help would be greatful.....

Comment

being answered here

http://community.actinic.com/showthread.php?t=29369

Comment

Working...
                        X