Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actinic crashes on website update etc.

Hi Guys,

My problems seemed to have started when my hosting provider's server crashed on Friday night. I've been trying to update my web sites and Actinic stops responding when it gets to 'creating remote directory structure'. It does the same thing when I try the network test facility - this happens on all my sites !

I've re-applied the v7.06 patch in the hope that this would remedy matters but to no avail. I did this thinking that a file in Actinic may have been corrupt, however, if I import a network test file which allows me to run the sites in standalone mode with Apache etc. (as per the AUG) everything works fine and I can then 'upload' the site albeit to my hard drive.

I've tried the usual compact database/purge session files but to no avail. The websites can all be seen on the net - does anyone think it may be a file permissions problem ? As I'm on very sloooooow dial-up I don't really want to do a full refresh as it will take hours, unless this is going to be the only answer.

Any help appreciated.

Graham

Start with your smallest site, and FTP to the server, delete the acatalog folder and cgi-bin (if there are other files in the cgi-bin just delete the actinic files) Set permissions to 777 and 755 respectively and Refresh.

If this works do the other sites.

I don't think there's anything wrong with your local copy of actinic, the fault is more likely to be at your hosts end, therefore I feel a refresh is your only real option.

Comment

Hi Jo,

That must be one of the quickest responses ever to a problem - phew!

Thanks for the info, I'll certainly give it a try with my smallest site and see what happens. Watch this space.

Thanks,

Graham

Comment

You could take a snapshot then delete everything except 1 product and play about until the site is working and then import the snapshot and upload.

Comment

Hi Jo,

Just tried deleting the acatalog folder which went ok. I then just deleted all the Actinic files within the cgi-bin folder as there was another folder called 'filemanager' which I don't think is an Actinic folder located thus...

/documents/cgi-bin/filemanager

This folder and other sub folders may be something to do with my hosts setup so I left all of these well alone.

I set the permissions to 777 for acatalog and 755 for cgi-bin folder as advised. The filemanager folder and other files etc were set to 750.

However, when I tried to do a refresh, Actinic stops responding at the same place i.e. 'creating remote directory structure' and again whilst testing the network settings it stops responding at the 'connecting to FTP server'

Any ideas on this as it's now a real problem as the site is in pieces

Thanks for any help.

Graham

Comment

Hi Malcolm,

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I've just deleted everything in the acatalog folder so I'll try and upload a product in the morning using an FTP program and see what happens.

One of my other sites worked ok when I did an update & refresh, so as Jo says, it seems like a hosting problem rather than a problem with my copy of Actinic. I'll email the hosting company in a mo and see what response I get and will let you know what happens.

Graham

Comment

/documents/cgi-bin/filemanager
              this folder is nothing to do with Actinic.

My problems seemed to have started when my hosting provider's server crashed on Friday night. I've been trying to update my web sites and Actinic stops responding when it gets to 'creating remote directory structure'. It does the same thing when I try the network test facility - this happens on all my sites !
              this is the reason why I think it is a hosting issue and not your local actinic.

Sadly I think you will have to speak to your host to see what changes they have made, to know what to suggest next.

Comment

Working...
              X