Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cgi-bin - please help

Hi,

First of all i apologise if this is a daft, or obvious question, or if its server realted and not actinic. Webfusion customer 'support' was a waste of time and i was hoping you guys could tell me if im getting increasingly frustrated over something simple.

Basically, i have a webfusion windows based account. I've created a site on actinic 8, but having problems uploading. You are asked to put in the location of the 'cgi-bin' directory. only thing is, there isnt one in my root folder and i dont have permission to create one. Ive rung and emailed webfusion and they seem to know even less about it than me.

as im sure you can see, im a bit of a novice at this and a few pointers in the right direction wouldnt go amiss.

Thanks

Tom

Basically, i have a webfusion windows based account.
    You are asked to put in the location of the 'cgi-bin' directory. only thing is, there isnt one in my root folder and i dont have permission to create one
    this is your connundrum, as you are using Windows.

Do you have to use Windows space? can you swap to webfusion linux?

Comment

well we've only got windows computers, i hadnt even considered that because i diddnt think it was an option?

Comment

The operating system of your PC has nothing to do with your webserver, they are completely separate. You can get webfusion to change the style of account, just ring them up and ask them to, explaining you want linux not windows.

Comment

i did initially think that (would need to use linux), but i diddnt look into it anymore as i perhaps foolishly thought 'surely webfusion wouldnt sell us a package we couldnt use'

Comment

It is not webfusions responsibility to vet what you are doing on your site, if you fail to investigate or indeed have a look on here for what is recommended before you purchase, you can often end up with a longer process.

You can get actinic to work with windows, however it can be problematic and for newbies it is undoubtedly better to start with linux as its much simpler and the settings are already in here, so you only have to copy and not worry about them as they are proven already.

Comment

thanks for the advice. im just a little annoyed as when we initially spoke to webfusion and ordered the hosting package, we explained to them that we were beginners... they sold us actinic and the windows hosting and said that it would be ideal.

Comment

Experience tells me Tom that it is often potluck with regards to which advisor you get. True most of them will know about the fact that actinic works with them, however few probably know it's much easier on Linux.

All i can suggest is that if you have any decisions to make with regards to purchasing something for the operation of your actinic store, always take a look in here, it'd be a minor miracle if not touched on already.

Their domain transfer process is pretty slow, i'd imagine you will get it back tomorrow when they switch it to Linux.

Comment

so just to clarify, are the settings in this thread:

http://community.actinic.com/showthread.php?t=28966

for linux?

thanks for putting up with my lack of knowledge

Comment

I setup exactly the same hosting on Friday last week, so yes.

Comment

Just to clarify - Actinic does work very well on Windows Servers.

But it very much depends on your host as to whether they make it easy for you or not.

Frequently there are posts talking about certain hosts where to get actinic to work on their windows configurations is like taking a hiding to nothing. There are other hosts where it flies up with complete ease.

Tom - the best thing you just did was to find this forum as 95% of your troubles are now over.

Comment

Working...
                      X