error occurred while merging files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

error occurred while merging files

I have searched the knowledge base and found similar, but I don't think exactly the same problem. I found this exact problem in the forum, discussed by about three people but no answer.

I am looking for the answer please:

I have uploaded my complete site to a 'free server' and had no problems whatsoever. I am now ready to put my website on my own domain name which is a paid server. After a few teething problems with the settings I was able to upload. At the near end of the upload I had an error message. The error says: ' An error occurred while merging files on the remote site. The web site index has been corrupted. Catalog is unable to update the index. Copy ../htdocs/acatalog/fulltext.fil to ../htdocs/acatalog/oldtext.fil failed. Permission denied. Please refresh the site ' I have since used 'web' 'refresh website' and it has made no difference.

Please tell me what to do. What the instructions will actually do. What I need to do to ensure my site is running properly, (e.g. if you tell me to delete something).

Incidently, because I was having problems with the original settings for this particular server, a server 'helper' uploaded a 30 trial of actinic to his own webspace to establish the correct settings, which he did - hence I can now upload, (same server) and said he got an error message at the end. Unfortunately, help are at home on Sundays so I am unable to confim whether the message he got was the same, but I am guessing it was.

I also did this: 'Help' 'Troubleshooting' 'website analysis' and got this error message:

'Check script permissions in /acatalog folder.
    Create file in acatalog...

Failure - Permission denied'

I have, for testing purposes, set the permissions on the file acatalog to 777. It makes no difference.

Sorry for such a long blurb, but I would rather get all the details out in one go. I am using v8. Actinic Business.

Thanks in advance.

IF you have purchased actinic within the last 30 days or are trialing it then Actinic will give you free telephone support to get your site up and running.

Comment

From memory, the fix for this error message (which i've heard mentioned a number of times on the forum) was to compact the database and then do a web refresh, not a web update.

Comment

Here's What I did. I would still like to know...

Firstly thank you to you both who have already responded.

I didn't use telephone help as I guess they are probably in bed right now!

1. I compacted the database.
        2. I did a 'web/refreshwebsite'.

Nothing changed. So I went looking for the "part same error message" that I'd found previously and found this
        http://knowledge.actinic.com/acatalo..._377.html#a966

I did what it said and deleted the files from both my acatalog on the server and from within the site folder on my harddrive. - some of the files didn't actually exist.

I then did a 'web/refreshwebsite' and it uploaded without errrors like a dream.

However, I ain't gonna get much sleep until I know why this worked and what sort of files I just delete? What were they for? If they are not required why were they there? As deeper answer as possible would be very much appreciated. ... and why didn't I have this problem when my site was uploaded to another server?

The files I deleted were: diff*.fil, old*.fil, new*.fil, full*.fil, prev*.fil, and cand*.fil

Thank you.

and good luck to anyone else who has this problem!

Comment

the files you deleted are files that are generated by actinic during the upload/refresh process therefore can be deleted without issue.

During upload actinc compares files on the webserver with your PC. sometimes these files get out of sync and create the errors you experienced today.

Comment

Just thank you.

Thank you very much Jo. I'll rest easy now. Great job! As they say!

I'm so happy right now I could back-flip. ... Well, I guess you kinda know what I mean! It's been a long 5 days with my Actinic problems!

Comment

Working...
            X