A fair few problems!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A fair few problems!

Ok so this is the first site that we have done in Actinic so its all been a learning process, which has meant quite a few headches, this has not been helped by the many problems that Fasthosts has presented us, but hopefully most of the issues to do with that are now sorted.

Ok, so onto the problems:

>SMTP error when testing

The Network Test was unable to verify that the mail (SMTP) server you specified is valid (the name lookup failed). The mail server name may be correct. If it is (and your email address is correct), you will receive an email soon after this test has completed. This error can occur if the mail server you specified is incorrect, or if your PC network is not properly configured (for more information, see "DNS" in Windows help). If this problem is due to improper network configuration, you may not be able to place orders from this computer using the built in Actinic encryption method for credit card details.
    >Test script fails, however I am fairly certain the scripts are working ok

The test script failed to execute on the web server. The error could be caused by several things. Check the path to the Perl shell, the CGI script extension, the path to CGI-BIN, and the CGI-BIN URL. This error could also occur if your web site is out of disk space or your web server is not configured to accept POSTs to CGI scripts.
    The main issues are these however:

1)
    Actinic received a network error while merging files on the server. Try again later and contact your network administrator if the problem persists. The certificate authority is invalid or incorrect
    I have looked at all the solutions posted on these boards and none have worked, could it be due to a timeout, if so is this a problem at fasthosts end? Or is it the fact that currently the SSL certificate is only self signed at the minute which is causing this error to be thrown back?

2)
    A General Script Error Occurred
    Error: Error opening the index "../acatalog/oldprod.fil". No such file or directory. The web site is probably being updated. Please wait a few minutes and try again. If the problem persists, contact us.Press the Browser back button and try again or contact the site owner
    Ok now this is 'not' a error, the reason is quite simply oldprod.fil does not exist anwhere, locally or in the ftp. If anyone could shed any light onto this that would be great! (This error occurs when viewing an item from the shopping cart)

Thanks. Sorry if some of these problems are slightly unrelated to network and uploading.

HTTPPROXYMODE 0
    HTTPPROXYADDRESS
    HTTPPROXYPORT 80
    HTTPPROXYUSER
    HTTPPROXYPASSWORD
    FTPPROXYMODE 0
    FTPPROXYADDRESS
    FTPPROXYPORT 21
    FTPPROXYUSER
    FTPPROXYPASSWORD
    SCRIPTID 1
    SCRIPTEXT .pl
    SMTPHOST smtp.emmersonsfurniture.co.uk
    WEBSITEURL http://www.emmersonsfurniture..co.uk
    IGNOREPASSIVEERRORS true
    USERELATIVECGIURLS false
    PATHTOPERL /usr/bin/perl
    USEENHANCEFTP true
    FTPCLIENTTIMEOUT 15000
    FTPRETRYDELAY 3000
    FTPSILENT false
    FTPMAXRETRIES 3
    FTPCONNECTTIMEOUT 25000
    SMTPAUTHREQUIRED false
    SMTPUSERNAME n/a
    SMTPPASSWORD n/a
    SSLCATALOGURL https://www.emmersonsfurniture.co.uk/acatalog/
    SSLCGIBINURL https://www.emmersonsfurniture.co.uk/cgi-bin/
    SSLPATHFROMCGITOCATALOG ../acatalog/
    SSLCODEBASE ./
    SSLFTPHOST ftp.emmersonsfurniture.co.uk
    SSLFTPUSERNAME ****
    SSLFTPPASSWORD ****
    SSLPATHTOCGIBIN /user/htdocs/cgi-bin/
    SSLUSEPASSIVEFTP true

let's try them one at a time.

Is there a reason for having two . in your url?

Mike
    -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

Thanks for spotting that, none whatsoever, I have changed that now.

Comment

Turn off SSL, and remove this from network settings and payment and security tab, then do a network test, having corrected the .. that Mike noticed

if the test passes (without SSL) do a site refresh - not an upload - it must be a refresh

then let us know

isn't there an issue with Fasthosts and SSL or is it fasthosts/windowds hosting/SSL?

are you on unix/windows?

Comment

Ok, so I completely removed SSL, ran the test and only the smtp errors came back this time.

As for the dedicated server it is Fasthosts/Unix

From what I had read I was under the impression that it was possible to do it on Fasthosts if the whole site was SSL. However Protx will be used in this case so I am not entirely sure if it will be needed anyway.

Just done the refresh and had no problems back. Everything works, not sure on the smtp yet though.

(There is one minor issue I have noticed however and that is £ signs are also not being displayed correctly on this server)

Does this mean that SSL is not an option?

Comment

You can run on fasthosts if the whole site is SSL (I knew something was odd with fasthosts just couldn't remember what) if you are going to be using protx then you don't need SSL.

Again with FH i don't know if you can run the whole site in SSL and forward to protx, but I can't see why not. Although many will say you will slow your site down by having hte whole site in SSL so its your choice.

Just get the SMTP sorted and you could be fixed.

Its not worth testing with SSL until you have your own cert though

Comment

Ah I see so you need the cert before testing in SSL, thanks for that. I probably had a whole day yesterday of chasing up invisible problems because of this.

On a sidenote when using Protox and then not using SSL would you remove every payment type apart from Protox?

As this warning:

The selected payment method is used to trigger discounts. Removing the payment method may affect your discounts. Press OK to remove the payment method or Cancel to keep it.
              Is what is given when removing credit card details captured for later processing.

As for the smtp it comes back with this from the test:

The computer you specified as your mail server is not a valid mail (SMTP) server. Check the computer name or address and try again. If it fails again, then it is possible, you were locked out by a firewall program, or you don't have network connection to this server.
              Actinic Mail Test completed successfully
              server: failed
              connection: failed
              sockets: failed
              communications: failed
              authorisation: failed
              Any thoughts?

Thanks for all your help!

Comment

Tao,

The selected payment method is used to trigger discounts. Removing the payment method may affect your discounts. Press OK to remove the payment method or Cancel to keep it.
                This is appearing because one of your discounts is using this payment method on the 'Restrictions' tab, delete it and you should be able to remove the payment method. You can check at 'Marketing | Discounts and Surcharge settings'.

The computer you specified as your mail server is not a valid mail (SMTP) server. Check the computer name or address and try again. If it fails again, then it is possible, you were locked out by a firewall program, or you don't have network connection to this server
                .Please check with your host if the smtp server address provided is a valid smtp address. Try replacing the setting ( if you are not using authentication at the moment ) with 'localhost' (sans the ' and ' ), apply and then run the test again.

Kind regards,
                Bruce King
                SellerDeck

Comment

Thanks for all the help, all the issues have now been resolved! Its a bit of a leanring cureve for the first time but good once you are over it. Just need to crack the custom templates now.

Is Actinic or the server causing the £ signs to be displayed incorrectly however? As I always thought this to be a database issue?

Comment

That is most probably the server. Worth checking that you are using charset=iso-8859-1 instead of UTF.

Kind regards,
                    Bruce King
                    SellerDeck

Comment

Quick thought with regards to Fasthosts SMTP - if you set up 'standard' POP3 email mailboxes on a fasthosts-hosted domain I'm pretty sure you don't get access to an SMTP server as standard...

As I've always understood it (I've been with FH for about 6 or 7 years now) you have to set up an Advanced email address or an MS Exchange email address before you get access to Fasthosts' SMTP servers. But don't quote me on that without checking FH's help files, I'm not the most technically adapt when it comes to this sort of thing.
                      www.darrenturpin.co.uk
                      Freelance webguy and pro-blogger for hire

Comment

I have seen fasthosts documentation on their web site that states just that, and then on another page a statement that new policy provides smtp in the name of the domain - I am working on an ASP site on fasthosts at the moment and am using domain smtp address successfully.

Try smtp.yourdomainnamewith.extension it can only fail.
                        Last edited by wjcampbe; 04-Jul-2007, 05:17 PM. Reason: new kwyboard cant spell
                        Bill
                        www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
                        Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
                        BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
                        Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
                        VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
                        Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

Originally posted by ArielUK

Quick thought with regards to Fasthosts SMTP - if you set up 'standard' POP3 email mailboxes on a fasthosts-hosted domain I'm pretty sure you don't get access to an SMTP server as standard...
                          I have a similar issue - FASTHOSTS insist i must use mailserver.domain.co.uk for their mx record entry when using others hosting company.

Can i just ask which fasthosts hosting package does work with actinic?
                          Vincent
                          United Herbs

Comment

according to your other post in http://community.actinic.com/showthread.php?t=32096 post 8

you clarify the problem as stemming from the fact you can not configure your MX record.

your problem is not related to hosting per se but is related to the fact that a domain registered with fasthosts does not give you the flexibility to configure your MX record to actinics requirement. This is a very different issue to asking if Actinic will run on Fasthosts servers.

Actinic will run on Fasthosts (unix is prefered and if you want ssl you have to secure thewhole site)

Comment

Originally posted by pinbrook

you clarify the problem as stemming from the fact you can not configure your MX record.
                              I don't think any hosting company allow their user to amend their server mx alias.

anyway many thanks for point out what i am trying to says above

that lead to a question - does peoples have problem when sending email within actinic software (while using fasthosts hosting)?
                              Vincent
                              United Herbs

Comment

Working...
                              X