Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now I'm really confused.....

Hi

I've been delving in this forum trying to find out a bit more about 1&1 Bus pkg.

I wanted to know if their shared ssl would suffice. However, reading through the posts, I've come to the conclusion that ssl is not required if I'm using paypal as my psp. Is this correct? I also understand that the golden padlock won't be displayed on the name and address page. Is this a big no-no? How would I get round this?

If I don't need ssl, then won't my current host, bluehost.com suffice? Although they are based in the US, I have a .co.uk tld, so hopefully my seo ranking shouldn't be affected.

If I went for the 1&1 Bus pkg, their servers are based in Germany. What's the difference in my site being hosted on US or Germany servers bearing in mind that I have a .co.uk domain?

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Michael

you need your own SSL cert or Actinic shared SSL if you are using PayPalPro.

you don'r need any SSL if you are using "normal" paypal - this is because the transaction takes place on paypals secure server, thus you get the padlock on payment pagesonly, and not as you say on thefirst customer address collection page, if you want the padlock on this page you will have to have some sort of SSL.

Opinion is divided as to whether you need ssl on that page, most people who use a PSP also will not have that page secured

Comment

I agree with Jo, opinion is divided as to wether the name and address pages should be secure. I do have an SSL on one site and not on others.

Should you should'nt you??? probably should for your own peace of mind

Comment

Thanks for your replies. I've had a look at quite a lot of acatalog stores and it seems that it really is a mixed bag - some have ssl and others don't!!! I think I'll start off without ssl and if there's any comeback on it, I'll get ssl. Got to keep my costs down as I'm just starting out.

If I went for the 1&1 Bus pkg, their servers are based in Germany. What's the difference in my site being hosted on US or Germany servers bearing in mind that I have a .co.uk domain?
        Anyone got any thoughts on this please?

Thanks once again

Micheal

Comment

Lots of .co.uk sites fair well with 1and1 servers in Germany.
          Hosting a .com domain in Germany or a .co.uk domain in the US is not usually recommended.

The Business Pro package (and possibly teh Bus package) gives you shared SSL included. If you go with 1and1 then make sure you choose the linux package though.

Comment

Thanks for your advice Duncan. Looks like it's going to be 1&1 then.

Comment

1&1 also offer a dedicated SSL certificate - we use this on the checkout as well as using a PSP, and it has worked well. It is from Geotrust, and there is the option of putting the Geotrust "logo" on your site which links to confirmation that your site is secured by them.

Aquazuro - designer stainless steel accessories

Comment

Working...
              X