Shared or Dedicated SSL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shared or Dedicated SSL

Hello. I have read other threads regarding whether to have shared or dedicated ssl, but none of them quite answers my problem. At present I have shared ssl at no extra cost. Everything works except that I have customers ring me to say that they received a message while Checking Out that my secure site or site certificate did not match my web address, or something to that effect, and this put them off completing the orders. These customers could be the tip of an iceberg, which others not bothering to ring me. If I get dedicated ssl (only £3.99 a month with my host), using Geotrust, will this prevent the message that my customers currently receive? Are there other benefits in dedicated ssl?

Thanks.

Having people put off at the payment stage is the very worst thing you can have on a website. Nothing and i mean NOTHING is free, never forget that, always pay for a service and you will 99% of the time be better off.

At £4 a month it shouldn't even be a consideration to be honest, although that sounds too cheap to me.

Like you say if one person has told you about it, expect at least 30 to have sodded off without a murmur, think of it like that and a proven £100-150 per year SSL cert looks like pennies in comparison.

Comment

Thanks, but . . .

I understand what you are saying, but the price is not the problem, and trivial in this case. I want what is best, regardless of price, and changing to dedicated will mean that my online shop will be down while waiting for it to activate, so it has to be worthwhile. I want to base my decision, as with all things, on the best outcome, not necessarily going for the cheapest, but equally not paying more than I need to unnecessarily. There are certainly many examples of more expensive choices in life not necessarily being better than the cheaper.

To make my decision I need to know, somehow, what you get with dedicated that you do not get with shared, and whether it solves my problem.

Sarah

Comment

I want what is best
        dedicated SSL is the best route, the downtime due to IP propagation will be compensated by having it. No contest - do it

Comment

And to answer your specific question. The dedicated SSL certificate will be issued to your domain name and will get rid of any messages about the certificate not matching the web address.

Mike
          -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

And to answer your specific question. The dedicated SSL certificate will be issued to your domain name and will get rid of any messages about the certificate not matching the web address.
            just make sure you order ssl for the correct domain

ie if you run your site using www.yourdomain.co.uk make sure the cert is issued to www.yourdomain.co.uk --- don't forget the www

if your cert is yourdomain.co.uk you will get mismatch errors

Comment

Thanks.

Thanks to Jo and Mike.

Sarah

Comment

this made interesting reading many thanks

now has anyone got any suggestions

verisign, geotrust ???
                or does protx provide one?
                Remembering the road to Actinic enlightenment is a long and sometimes painful one.
                Current project:
                cheapadulttoys4u.co.uk
                cheaplingerie4u.co.uk
                Something for the Missus,Something for the Weekend

Comment

verisign, geotrust ???
                  you'll probably have to go for the one your host provides
                  or does protx provide one?
                  no they dont

Comment

im looing ito my hosts offerings now

and yours
                    Remembering the road to Actinic enlightenment is a long and sometimes painful one.
                    Current project:
                    cheapadulttoys4u.co.uk
                    cheaplingerie4u.co.uk
                    Something for the Missus,Something for the Weekend

Comment

ours are geotrust

Comment

Working...
                      X