Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SMTP Authentication is not supported by this server!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree too Jo, have never seen or heard of anyone who got demon to work with actinic. Another couple of hours trying and then the inevitable hosting change i first mentioned will occur.

Comment

I spoke to Demon Support and they say that they are firewalled and I should speak to Actinic for a way around the problem!

Comment

The funny thing is Lee, last year when I was looking for a shopping cart program a guy from Demon recommended Actinic.

Comment

The key questions to ask demon hosting is :

1. Do you support smtp?

2. If so, what are the correct settings?

All this talk of a firewall is misleading. Either they provide access or they don't. If they don't then I personally would move host. There are a lot of excellent hosts that don't make life hard for their customers.

Mike

PS. You could try contacting the people in this thread http://community.actinic.com/showthread.php?t=15965 as they still seem to be using demon and might have a workaround.
          -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

Angie, much like fasthosts, they are one of the hosting names that bands around but we never ever get any real confidence that they work with actinic. Setting up hosting really is a 5 minute job if you select a proven host. For me personally, i have seen enough to not bother struggling with problematic hosts, the time you waste could be better spent on site improvements. After all, 90% of the time you have to move anyway.

I can only presume that they recommend Actinic as they rate the package, not because it works with them. They probably only know the name, because of the hours, days and weeks people have wasted with them, trying to get actinic to work.

Comment

Thanks Mike
              I will get back to Demon and will check out your (p.s.P
              Angie

Comment

Thanks Mike
                I will get back to Demon and also check out your (p.s.)
                Angie

Comment

1&1 SMTP Problem

Hi,

I'm having similar issues with 1&1 and I really can't get my head around it. Actinic say that it doesn't seem to work but can't figure out why and 1&1 are saying they don't support Actinic but the SMTP details I have should work fine...

I'm basically using the Server: auth.smtp.1and1.co.uk.

My username is my e-mail address. i..e Miketurner@neddyup.com and my password is my e-mail password. If I try and use these details in Outlook it works fine.

When I put them in to Catalog I receive similar error "Server refused the connection".

I have tried with and without my userdetails....

Anyone have any experience on this with 1&1 as I'm stumped?

Thanks

Mike

Comment

Please don't double post - see my answer in the other thread:
                    http://community.actinic.com/showthread.php?t=32819

Comment

Mike has already been answered on his duplicate post.

Why do they do it?
                      Bill
                      www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
                      Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
                      BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
                      Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
                      VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
                      Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

have never seen or heard of anyone who got demon to work with actinic
                        Snowlines www.snowlines.co.uk is on Demon Web Hosting. It's been using Demon for about 5 years, first with "Showroom" and for the last year "Demon Web Hosting". I'm sure I've already posted the network settings for this.
                        Norman - www.drillpine.biz
                        Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Contact Us Form

Hi
                          Finally, it worked !!

This is what you need to do:

Click the "Web" tab, then Network Setup and that will open the Advanced Network Setup.

On the "Email Settings", remove the tick from the "UserName and Password Required" field and leave the fields "Username" and "Password" blank.

On the "SMTP server" box type "localhost" without the quotes
                          This did it for me

Was wondering what people thought of Actinic Support ?

Rang to try to solve this issue, the guy on the support line said it was a problem with my server settings and not a problem with actinic and then the phone went dead (hope he didn't hang up on me)

Thanks Paul
                          Paul Hesford
                          Web Design Wigan

Based in the Northwest of England UK, provides web design, programming, e-commerce and web hosting services

Cheap Whey Protein from Powerbeck
                          Web Designer in Wigan
                          Actinic Hosting
                          Dog Kennels and Runs

Comment

sendmail

try this link, it may help.

http://www.drillpine.biz/actinicstuf...eadoOfSMTP.txt

Comment

Originally posted by paulhesford
                              Was wondering what people thought of Actinic Support ?
                              can of worms!
                              but you only need to read the forums for a few days to get a general opinion.

Of course, those who get a successful outcome with support don't need to come to the forum so we don't hear about it
                              It's the way it goes, I suppose

I've had mixed experiences, as have most people. No different to any other support network, I would imagine
                              Tracey

Comment

Put me on the right track

Originally posted by Yanni
                                Finally, it worked !!

This is what you need to do:

Click the "Web" tab, then Network Setup and that will open the Advanced Network Setup.

On the "Email Settings", remove the tick from the "UserName and Password Required" field and leave the fields "Username" and "Password" blank.

On the "SMTP server" box type "localhost" without the quotes.
                                Now click Apply. Your email address should be similar to your domain name under the "Setttings" ->"Business Setttings Tab". That is, if your domain name is niceflowers.com, then your email should read something like sales@niceflowers.com.

I know this is rediculously simplified but if you are dealing with customers having no previous experience whatsoever with Actinic or any other e-commerce program, directions should be as simple and as detailed as possible. In the end of the day, some of us just want to make millions from selling on the net. We might not be that interesting in resolving network issues !

Thanks Bill...
                                I've been with Demon for years, and run Actinic Catalog successfully from there for years as well. Until last summer that is, when I started to get this email problem.

I too had the "Nothing to do with us, you need to talk to Actinic" handoff, but Bill's posting, which I've just come across as a result of a Google search, has allowed me to put two and two together and understand what's happening, and to my great relief, to fix it. I hadn't upgraded Actinic Catalog, I hadn't changed any of the network settings, but one day the email function just stopped working.

Everything in Bill's instructions is correct, but in addition, the domain name you specify in the email address must be one that's registered via Demon. It seems like Demon has a check that its email servers can only be used for emails with return addresses registered with Demon.

Comment

Working...
                                X