Centos 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Centos 5

We upgraded our server today and are having "nightmares" now trying to get Actinic scripts to run, perl is working from the cgi-bin and externally so long as it is not an Actinic script...

We upgraded to CentOS V5 and PHP version 5.1.6-12.el5

When you run the network configuration the guesses at the perl location fail, you are asked to enter that manually, so we do... but you still get an error in HTTP fail, the scripts only upload if you move them outside of the cgi-bin and then, although they are present, return a 500 error.

The perl test script works, but the uploader returns a file merge failure error when we move the files outside of the bin. I've read through every support document here and have tried disabling the firewall and intrusion detection etc., the only change has been the server which was restored from a back up 24 hours ago and then a seperate location we tried to load with a fresh install... so in other words a working install stopped when we changed the server.

Does anyone know of any conflicts with Actinic at these OS / PHP versions?

Support Request

...a heads up to support.

I have centOS4 installed on a back-up server which we dug out of the grave and booted up, Actinic scripts will execute, we performed the upgrade to centOS5 and there was again total failure.

As this is a widely used operating system and it looks as though that operating system is "in the huff" with your software, many customers could fall vicitim to this issue as their hosts upgrade. May I suggest that we look at this urgently to make sure it's not something unique to our set-up else a storm could be brewing...?

I have created support ticket on Wednesday 29th August 2007 around 1730.

Comment

Cheers for the info. The best way to deal with new servers is to let our support team have a crack at it and see if there is any way to set folders/permissions etc. to get it working. There usually is, but it can sometimes require some digging.

Comment

...yes, been at it ourselves but can't have the shops being down any longer so I am rolling back the server install, fingers crossed.

Comment

Is there any news on a fix for this is I am running CentOS 5 on my servers and am having the same problem.

If it can't be fixed I may have to look at other alternative e commerce products - come on Actinic, CentOS 5 is now becoming a hugely popular OS !

Comment

Check your "ownership" of the cgi-bin and bin in the CentOS5 install, ours was all to cock...

Comment

The ownerships look ok, what should they be for actinic to work.

Just to note I am also running Plesk on the server therefore ownerships are always serverusersaserv

Comment

Originally posted by NVL
                We upgraded our server today and are having "nightmares" now trying to get Actinic scripts to run, perl is working from the cgi-bin and externally so long as it is not an Actinic script...

We upgraded to CentOS V5 and PHP version 5.1.6-12.el5

When you run the network configuration the guesses at the perl location fail, you are asked to enter that manually, so we do... but you still get an error in HTTP fail, the scripts only upload if you move them outside of the cgi-bin and then, although they are present, return a 500 error.

The perl test script works, but the uploader returns a file merge failure error when we move the files outside of the bin. I've read through every support document here and have tried disabling the firewall and intrusion detection etc., the only change has been the server which was restored from a back up 24 hours ago and then a seperate location we tried to load with a fresh install... so in other words a working install stopped when we changed the server.

Does anyone know of any conflicts with Actinic at these OS / PHP versions?

We're having the exact same problems.

We've now have a new dedicated server running Centos 5 and we cannot upload to our website... it's a brand new server running a fresh install of Centos 5.

The Actinic store works fine on our old server (running Red Hat Enterprise Linux v3), but when we transferred the store over to the new server (using the same settings)

It will not upload to the Centos Server - it gives this error: An Error occurred while sending the merge request.

If I test the network settings, it says...

"Actinic received a server error from the web server. The CGI scripts are not executing properly on the server. Run Web | Configure Web Site Details... to review your web site configuration.

The test script failed to execute on the web server. The error could be caused by several things. Check the path to the Perl shell, the CGI script extension, the path to CGI-BIN, and the CGI-BIN URL. This error could also occur if your web site is out of disk space or your web server is not configured to accept POSTs to CGI scripts."

If I go through the network wizard, it refuses to go past the perl scripts... it gives a HTTP request error.

Can anyone help?

I'm debating whether Centos 5 was a good idea! maybe I should change the OS to Red Hat Enterprise v5

Comment

We have been warned off a new box running Redhat ES5 or upgrading our ES4 box by our host, Clara. We are stuck on ES4 until it is more stable. The '5' series OS's are running a newer version of Perl.

Bob
                  Supporting the environment. This post uses 100% recycled electrons.
                  Bob Isaac
                  Director/Web Admin
                  Volvo Owners Club Ltd

Actinic MS Business Version 8.5.2

Comment

Permissions...

It is a conflict between the default settings in Cent OS version 5 and the Actinic loader script, where Actinic sets the cgi-bin to a valid permission and then after the test sets it back to "default of the server" rather than a fixed value.

You (or your host if you don't have access) must logon to the server root and change the settings of the cgi-bin, probably a command like this;

# ls -ld /var/www/vhosts/yourdomain.com/cgi-bin
                    # chown naughtysacln /var/www/vhosts/yourdomain.com/cgi-bin

The paths could be different (very) but explain to your server host what you need and they'll sort it for you, on a shared server they might not be too keen so be prepared for a move. No matter how many times you try and change this by FTP etc it'll just change back...

Comment

Originally posted by NVL
                      It is a conflict between the default settings in Cent OS version 5 and the Actinic loader script, where Actinic sets the cgi-bin to a valid permission and then after the test sets it back to "default of the server" rather than a fixed value.

You (or your host if you don't have access) must logon to the server root and change the settings of the cgi-bin, probably a command like this;

# ls -ld /var/www/vhosts/yourdomain.com/cgi-bin
                      # chown naughtysacln /var/www/vhosts/yourdomain.com/cgi-bin

The paths could be different (very) but explain to your server host what you need and they'll sort it for you, on a shared server they might not be too keen so be prepared for a move. No matter how many times you try and change this by FTP etc it'll just change back...
                      Thanks for the heads-up!

Will I have to do this on every time I add a new shop & domain?

I have a few customer sites with Actinic on it and I can change the settings of those, but in a few weeks I'll be adding another Actinic site and in a few weeks after that, maybe another.

Ideally I'd rather change a setting in the servers' config file (i.e. php.ini or http.conf) so that it'll be permanent fix that I don't have to worry about in 2 years time.

Also... Centos 5 /Red Hat Enterprise v5 ...is there much difference? i can pay £20 p/m for the red hat... is it worth it? or should I stay on Centos 5?

Cheers.

Paul

Comment

...allthough slight, Centos defaults are more secure so I change the settings when I know there's an Actinic install on that virtual space per domain, my preference only.

Between the two OS and others, again preference but Centos is growing in popularity and from experience apps get written for the most popular base of the moment, keep an eye on it, for the forseeable future I am going to run woth Centos and have had no problems since resolution of this issue.

Comment

Working...
                        X