Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Website directory not writable

Hi,

I've added all my settings for uploading my site and i'm getting problems. The first problems I had was that Actinic was saying the cgi-bin URL was incorrect but I fixed this problem (it was to do with me putting the wrong A records against my secure sub-domain!)

I've now got the problem when running a test of my settings which says the following:

"The website directory is not writable.
    Unable to create a file in the website directory.
    Permission denied

Unable to create a sub-directory in the web site directory.
    Permission denied"

Has anyone ever had this message before? I know for a fact that my settings are correct becuase I've cheked them several times and, with the exception of the FTP settings, they're exactly the same settings as another site I host on the same server, which works fine.
    Cheers
    Stuart

Check your permissions on the cgi-bin and acatalog folders are 755.

Comment

They are indeed. That was all I could think of but when I checked they already were 755.
      Cheers
      Stuart

Comment

Sounds as though you are setting up and configuring SSL at the same time.

Normally best to remove the SSL setings and get a basic site working first, and then add the SSL complexity as a seperate item
        Last edited by wjcampbe; 14-Sep-2007, 04:10 PM. Reason: spelling
        Bill
        www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
        Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
        BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
        Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
        VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
        Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

Originally posted by stualk
          exactly the same settings as another site I host on the same server, which works fine.
          Are you sure the new server has been configured in exactly the same way as the existing site?

Errors in creating directories usually is either the 755 (as ruled out) or a paths issue.. possibly a typo or a subtle configuration setting on the server

Bikster
          SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Originally posted by wjcampbe View Post
            Sounds as though you are setting up and configuring SSL at the same time.

Normally best to remove the SSL setings and get a basic site working first, and then add the SSL complexity as a seperate item
            I am getting exactly this.

I am setting up SSL for a site that has been up and running for years - and getting this error on the network test - followed by the message that the test was successful.

But it crashes Actinic when I try and do an upload.

Remove the "Use SSL" and everything works again .....

Any clues?

Comment

Working...
            X