Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Uploading to new server before TAG is transferred

I'm just changing hosts.
    The TAG of the domain hasn't transferred yet.
    I obviously would like to have the site ready and waiting for when the TAG transfers.
    I can ftp to the new server using the IP address of my new hosted domain (with Dreamweaver).
    I can't ftp my site down from the old server (one of the problems with them that has led to my changing host)
    The site is still working OK if browsed.

How can I upload via the Actinic upload function armed with just the IP number of the new hosted domain?
    I've tried messing with the settings but it doesn't work.

TIA
    Kind Regards
    Sean Williams

Calamander Ltd

you can configure actinic network settings to use the IP - IF IT IS DEDICATED - simply replace domain name with the IP

there are ways to upload pre tag change but it depends on your server/host

Comment

You may be better just waiting until the TAG is transfered - sometimes rushing things just creates more problems.

Comment

Thanks.
        The IP isn't dedicated.

I think you're right - I've put up an information page stating what's going on and hope I discover when the tag is transferred soon after.
        Kind Regards
        Sean Williams

Calamander Ltd

Comment

with only the ip address, you can put a temporary DNs entry in your HOSTS file. a search of the windows folder should give its location. edit it with notepad only.

save, and then open a browser. your instant dns hack should be working.

note: remember to remove it, when your site is fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by gabrielcrowe
            with only the ip address, you can put a temporary DNs entry in your HOSTS file. a search of the windows folder should give its location. edit it with notepad only.

save, and then open a browser. your instant dns hack should be working.

note: remember to remove it, when your site is fixed.
            Thanks Gabriel
            I did this, but then although I can browse straight to the waiting site OK, I still can't get the Actinic Network settings right.
            To be honest, I don't really know what to do with them regarding the dns hack!

Another complication, all data (ie; acatalog) has to be loaded in an 'html' directory.
            Kind Regards
            Sean Williams

Calamander Ltd

Comment

Working...
            X