Moving Host provider to 1 & 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving Host provider to 1 & 1

Typical of me i choose to move provider the day that actinic tech support are unavailable. (my fault not theirs)

After my hassles with fasthosts, i have now taken on a managed server from 1 and 1. I have been told that it is a linux based server (phew!), because i will be using this server for several different domains, the tech support at 1 & 1 said to set up folders for each domain under the subdomain of the server, then set the destination of the relevent domain to that folder.

so if my ecomerce site has a folder called thedigitalroom and i point the destination of the domain www.thedigitalroom.co.uk at this folder, is it possible to download the old site from fasthosts using ftp and then upload it as is to the new folder. this would also include the cgi-bin folder.

will this work or do i need to put the cgi-bin somehwere specific?

will my current network settings be ok once i've change the ftp login?

Ideally i would like to upload to the new host and check the site is working ok prior to changing the dns and ips tags. I do intend to suspend the cart prior to the move to avoid 'losing' anyone's order.

any advice greatly appreciated.

Timmo.

There's no need to download your site from the old host. The recommended process is:

1. Disable ordering, update website.
    2. Wait 20 minutes or whatever for any customers in checkout to complete orders.
    3. Change dns and wait to propogate
    4. Turn on ordering, update (or refresh) website.

If you have the ip address for the new site then you can upload to it before doing the dns change.

Mike
    -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

the only reason i was going to download the current site then reupload it was that the acatalog is only a small part of the site, and i just wanted to make sure i got all of it in one go.

Timmo

Comment

In that case I must admit that the whole folder makes sense.

I would still do a full actinic refresh to the new location just to make sure that actinic has everything where it wants it and that it's all working.

The cgi-bin should be Ok as long as the 1and1 server is happy with it there. I'd also check folder permissions after doing the transfer to make sure they're at 755 or 777.

Mike

Comment

thanks Mike, i'll check.

Comment

Just to confirm, seperate cgi-bin at the same level as acatalog inside a site specific folder will work fine with 1 and 1. If you have any setup problems, check the settings already posted on here. The one to be careful of is the email smtp server. Use auth.smtp.oneandone.co.uk with no authentication (i.e. no tick, no password or username).
            Bill
            www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
            Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
            BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
            Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
            VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
            Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

thanks Bill

Comment

ok so an update.

Have uploaded new site via ftp as above post. pointed nameservers etc and ips tag, all hunky dory, the site has already propogated (for me at least), updated network settings using the wizard (v7 still btw) and refreshed the site. all working except email.

also if i do a test from the net setup it fails and says the following....

The "acatalog" directory exists but is locked due to the directory's permissions. Actinic can not work with these settings. Press Cancel if you would like to manually change the permissions and re-run the test. Press Retry if you would like Actinic to attempt to change the permissions and rerun the test.

i've double checked the acatalog folder and its 777 the cgi-bin is 755 so i'm a bit lost.

Any ideas?

if it helps here is the net settings

HTTPPROXYMODE 0
                HTTPPROXYADDRESS
                HTTPPROXYPORT 80
                HTTPPROXYUSER
                HTTPPROXYPASSWORD
                FTPPROXYMODE 0
                FTPPROXYADDRESS
                FTPPROXYPORT 21
                FTPPROXYUSER
                FTPPROXYPASSWORD
                SCRIPTID ****
                SCRIPTEXT .pl
                SMTPHOST auth.smtp.1and1.co.uk
                WEBSITEURL http://www.thedigitalroom.co.uk/
                IGNOREPASSIVEERRORS true
                USERELATIVECGIURLS false
                PATHTOPERL /usr/bin/perl
                USEENHANCEFTP true
                FTPCLIENTTIMEOUT 15000
                FTPRETRYDELAY 3000
                FTPSILENT false
                FTPMAXRETRIES 3
                FTPCONNECTTIMEOUT 25000
                SMTPAUTHREQUIRED false
                SMTPUSERNAME mail@thedigitalroom.co.uk
                SMTPPASSWORD *********
                CATALOGURL http://www.thedigitalroom.co.uk/acatalog/
                CGIBINURL http://www.thedigitalroom.co.uk/cgi-bin/
                PATHFROMCGITOCATALOG ../acatalog/
                CODEBASE ./
                FTPHOST homefolder
                FTPUSERNAME
                FTPPASSWORD
                PATHTOCGIBIN /cgi-bin/
                USEPASSIVEFTP true
                FTPPATHFROMCGITOCATALOG /acatalog/

thanks in advance

Timmo

Comment

ok email issue fixed by swapping auth.smtp.1and1.co.uk for auth.smtp.oneandone.co.uk

now i need to resolve the permission thingy on the acatalog folder.

I am simply amazed how easy the transfer to 1 & 1 has been compared with fasthosts....

Timmo.

Comment

Looks like you have it running OK as the cart and search seem to be working. Did you change anything?

Mike

Comment

Hi Mike,

I havn't changed anything as such other than the new ftp details, everything works and i can order products online and the order completes goes through hsbc then confirms and sends emails. i can also download the order. I can also refresh the site.

the weird thing is the netwrok test still fails with the following message...

The "acatalog" directory exists but is locked due to the directory's permissions. Actinic can not work with these settings. Press Cancel if you would like to manually change the permissions and re-run the test. Press Retry if you would like Actinic to attempt to change the permissions and rerun the test.

But i can confirm the rest of the site including perl and cgi-bin all seem ok.

Thanks for yur help.

Timmo.

Comment

This bit

FTPPATHFROMCGITOCATALOG /acatalog/

is wrong as it should be ../acatalog/. The best thing though is to leave it blank (as suggested) as I suspect actinic rarely uses it. They probably do test it though during the nextwork test which might be what is causing the error message.

So I'd suggest clearing this one item and then checking everything works ok.

Mike

Comment

Tim,

One other thing to check that I can't tell from your settings. When you ftp into your site do you have to move into your 'thedigitalroom' folder to see the acatalog and cgi-bin or are they there in your root directory?

Mike

Comment

hi Mike,

I've tried clearing that section and also using ../acatalog/ but still the same.

both folders are in thedigitalroom (TDR) folder but i have setup an ftp access so that the 'TDR' folder is root folder, this being the ftp i'm allowing actinic to use.

It's strange that everything else works.

Hey ho

Timmo.

Comment

From your 1 and 1 control panel, using manage domains, did you set the home directory for that domain to be the TDR folder? This is essential.
                              Bill
                              www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
                              Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
                              BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
                              Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
                              VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
                              Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

Working...
                              X