Upload errors - Any advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upload errors - Any advice

Please note I inadvertently posted this on the general ver 7 support forum by mistake - sorry.

Hi

I have suddenly encountered problems when trying to refresh, update, refresh and purge one of my sites (the other operates fine) the error message I get is 'timed out' (see attached image) when the process gets to the 'creating remote directories' section.

I have compacted my databases, done several test's using the facility in Network setup - all pass without problem and as indicated before tried, update, refresh and even purge and refresh but in all cases it stops at the same point, it was working on Tuesday but has not worked since.

I am downloading orders ok.

If I switch to my other site - all works perfectly and to re-iterate the network tests all - see image. I have also posted my FTP settings below.

Any thoughts?

Regards
    Brian

Can someone please confirm what the permissions should be set on for acatalog and cgi-local just in case these have got screwed up.

Its a Unix Host (Verio) by the way

Thanks

HTTPPROXYMODE 0
    HTTPPROXYADDRESS
    HTTPPROXYPORT 80
    HTTPPROXYUSER
    HTTPPROXYPASSWORD
    FTPPROXYMODE 0
    FTPPROXYADDRESS
    FTPPROXYPORT 21
    FTPPROXYUSER
    FTPPROXYPASSWORD
    SCRIPTID 1
    SCRIPTEXT .pl
    SMTPHOST mail-fwd.verio.de
    WEBSITEURL http://www.xxxx.co.uk/
    IGNOREPASSIVEERRORS true
    USERELATIVECGIURLS false
    PATHTOPERL /usr/local/bin/perl
    USEENHANCEFTP true
    FTPCLIENTTIMEOUT 8000
    FTPRETRYDELAY 3000
    FTPSILENT false
    FTPMAXRETRIES 3
    FTPCONNECTTIMEOUT 18000
    SMTPAUTHREQUIRED false
    SMTPUSERNAME
    SMTPPASSWORD
    CATALOGURL http://www.xxxx.co.uk/acatalog/
    CGIBINURL http://www.xxxx.co.uk/cgi-local/
    PATHFROMCGITOCATALOG ../acatalog/
    CODEBASE ./
    FTPHOST www.xxxx.co.uk
    FTPUSERNAME
    FTPPASSWORD
    PATHTOCGIBIN cgi-local/
    USEPASSIVEFTP true
    FTPPATHFROMCGITOCATALOG
    Attached Files

brian, I would compare the settings with those used by Lee here: http://community.actinic.com/showthr...verio+settings

I am surprised to see that you have www. for the ftp server than than ftp. which is a more typical setting. It might be worth looking into that.

Mike
    -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

Hi Mike

Thanks for your suggestion, I have tried this (see below) but without success.

As I indicated I have 2 Actinic sites hosted seperately by Verio and can compare directly the settinngs as the other works fine.

My thoughts are that there is possibly a corrupt file either in the Acatalog directory or the cgi-bin directory (assume these are the only ones actinic uses) which is stopping the actinic modifying or even deleting them through the website purge option.

My concern is if I delete both these directories manually through an FTP program, I may be left with the same problem but without a site!

Brian

copy of current settings

HTTPPROXYMODE 0
      HTTPPROXYADDRESS
      HTTPPROXYPORT 80
      HTTPPROXYUSER
      HTTPPROXYPASSWORD
      FTPPROXYMODE 0
      FTPPROXYADDRESS
      FTPPROXYPORT 21
      FTPPROXYUSER
      FTPPROXYPASSWORD
      SCRIPTID 1
      SCRIPTEXT .pl
      WEBSITEURL http://www.xxxx.co.uk/
      IGNOREPASSIVEERRORS true
      USERELATIVECGIURLS false
      USEENHANCEFTP true
      FTPCLIENTTIMEOUT 8000
      FTPRETRYDELAY 3000
      FTPSILENT false
      FTPMAXRETRIES 3
      FTPCONNECTTIMEOUT 18000
      SMTPAUTHREQUIRED false
      SMTPUSERNAME
      SMTPPASSWORD
      CATALOGURL http://www.xxxx.co.uk/acatalog/
      CGIBINURL http://www.xxxx.co.uk/cgi-local/
      CODEBASE ./
      FTPHOST ftp.xxxx.co.uk
      FTPUSERNAME xxxx
      FTPPASSWORD xxxx
      PATHTOCGIBIN cgi-local/
      USEPASSIVEFTP true
      FTPPATHFROMCGITOCATALOG

Comment

Export the settings of both a working site and a non-working site. Then import the not-working settings into a working site and try an upload (test mode). This should be able to eliminate whether it is site specific. Have you tried a script number change also?

I cannot argue with the fact that you say these settings work, but some of the settings you have provided look very strange to me and certainly not the norm.

You could also import the settings from a working catalog and then just change the relevant details for the specific site. It sounds like a slight overlook or a little mistake somewhere to me, or possibly even a different hosting package without you realising.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion of test mode. The results were as follows -

Site A - working no problems

Site B - the problem one

Imported site A settings into site B and uploaded in test mode - no problem

Imported Site B settings into site A and uploaded in test mode - no problem

Then modified site A settings (to reflect just site B's name, password etc) - Failed (in test mode)

Now confused?

I should also point out that site A has been working 7 years and site B 2 years without hitch

Comment

So the problem site will upload in test mode with working settings from a site and a working site will upload in test mode with the settings that do not work on the problem site? - you're right that is strange! I'd try the problem site on a test mode upload with its own settings, i'd then try a database compact, a website refresh, a web site purge and refresh and also a script number change.

If all of those failed, i would turn the PC off and sit in the corner rocking as the world was out to get me. Seriously though, one of those or a mixture of those, solves 99.99% of problems, especially when it works elsewhere - madness!

Comment

Ok, don't ask how, but I after repeating the above tests this is now the case

Site A settings in site B uploads in test mode OK

Site B settings in site A - same problem as when I try to upload site B (but I can assure you it did work 1st time :-( )

I tried compacting d/bases, changing script ID, purge & refresh - all failed same error.

It would appear to me (I am no expert) that the local site on my PC is ok and the error lies with the actual hosted site. Can anyone confirm what the permission setting should be on acatalog and cgi-bin and are these the only two actinic related directories?

What about if I create new directories in my FTP program to say, acatalog_old and cgi-bin_old and attempt to copy the files into them before deleting the originals, I could then try again with the refresh (I realise ordering would not work for anyone on the site but it is normally quite on a sunday) but having the files in copy folders should give me the option to get back to where I am now, i.e. able to receive orders but not update the site, any comments anyone please?

Comment

Hi

I have spoken to verio this morning and they confirm that there is no reason why I cannot publish to the site.

I have tried again uploading my site etc but still same original errors. I can still upload it tough to the test area on my other site hosted by verio.

any suggestions

Comment

It looks like you have an odd problem that could be due to number of factors that can't be seen from what you're showing us. Your best bet is to get Actinic Support to take a look and/or give us the urls so we can look at what's happening.

Mike

Comment

Hi Mike

not sure what the urls will provide but these are the network settings I am trying to use.

HTTPPROXYMODE 0
                    HTTPPROXYADDRESS
                    HTTPPROXYPORT 80
                    HTTPPROXYUSER
                    HTTPPROXYPASSWORD
                    FTPPROXYMODE 0
                    FTPPROXYADDRESS
                    FTPPROXYPORT 21
                    FTPPROXYUSER
                    FTPPROXYPASSWORD
                    SCRIPTID 1
                    SCRIPTEXT .pl
                    WEBSITEURL http://www.xxxxxx.co.uk/
                    IGNOREPASSIVEERRORS true
                    USERELATIVECGIURLS false
                    USEENHANCEFTP true
                    FTPCLIENTTIMEOUT 15000
                    FTPRETRYDELAY 3000
                    FTPSILENT true
                    FTPMAXRETRIES 3
                    FTPCONNECTTIMEOUT 25000
                    SMTPAUTHREQUIRED false
                    SMTPUSERNAME
                    SMTPPASSWORD
                    CATALOGURL http://www.xxxxxx.co.uk/acatalog/
                    CGIBINURL http://www.xxxxxx.co.uk/cgi-local/
                    CODEBASE ./
                    FTPHOST ftp.xxxxxx.co.uk
                    FTPUSERNAME
                    FTPPASSWORD
                    PATHTOCGIBIN cgi-local/
                    USEPASSIVEFTP true
                    FTPPATHFROMCGITOCATALOG

regards
                    Brian

Comment

Hi Brian,

The urls often help as it givs a chance to look at the directory structure, check the cgi-bin operation, and look at error log. Everything looks OK on your site although there doesn't appear to be an error log.

One thing that's always worth trying with these kind of problems is changing between passive and active ftp. Try disabling passive ftp and see if that makes a difference.

Mike

Comment

Will try that in a few minutes.

I have tried placing an order on the site (successfully) but when I try to download it indicates there could be an order "Retreiving Order" but times out before I get it.

I have consequently routed all potential customers to our other site in the meantime which means I can look at clearing out the acatalog and cgi-bin directories on the website and try to re publish (am downloading to my PC these directories at the moment)

Do you have any views on doing this?

Comment

Yes, there may be orders sitting on the server waiting to be collected. I think these will be in the acatalog folder with a .ord suffix (and also payment confirmations with a .ocx suffix). If you're really going to delete everything then make sure you back up these files somewhere where you can re-instate them anyway).

I would try changing the ftp from Passive to Active first.

Mike

Comment

Hi progress at last.

Can now upload without problem, the only issue is I cannot retreive orders!!

There is only one on the site placed by myself with any problem, but when I try and retreive it starts but does not display the 1 of 1 message and eventually times out.

any suggestions, you seem on a roll at the moment

Comment

Was it the ftp change from passive to active that got it working?

To download the order I would:

1. Try changing passive/active ftp just in case.

2. Make sure the permissions are 777 (on acatalog) and 755 on cgi-local (or vice versa I can remember which should be which).

3. Make sure you have the correct licence key and encryption code for that site. they might have been changed when you were tryng different sites etc (are you sure the test order was placed on that site and not the other one?).

PS. before changing licence keys and encryption codes, make sure you have them backed up somewhere safe just in case.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X