Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Acatalog - Permissions/attributes For Contents?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acatalog - Permissions/attributes For Contents?

Dear Actinic Forums,

We had our Acatalog folder set to 777. However, should the contents also be 777 (As in every file included in the folder). For some reason the contents seems to vary as to the read/write permissions. And we just had this error message:

"An error occurred while creating the order number lock file (../html/acatalog/OrderLock.num). The error was Permission denied. Actinic ecommerce can not create a unique order number and can not continue. Please contact us directly with your order."

I reset the permissions to 777 on that particular file and it now works and users can checkout fine. It would be good to know if I should reset the permissions for all of the files in acatalog to 777?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Seasons Greetings,

Jan (i-Sounds)

The acatalog folder is usually set to 755. The individual files within it will have different permissions depending on the file usage. The order.num file for example will probably have 600.

Comment

Thanks Duncan

Hi Duncan,

Thanks for confirming. I will change it to 755 and see if this works ok. Thanks for your suggestion and hope you have a great Christmas and New Year!

Kind regards,

Jan (i-Sounds)

Comment

Another Error

Hi Duncan,

We are now getting another error when placing a test order:

"Following error has been displayed to a customer: An error occurred while attempting to generate a unique order number. Actinic ecommerce is unable to lock the counter file. Permission denied"

It then send an email explaining information about the error....

"Calling Address: 84.13.255.127
        Debugging information: Input Hash: ACTION : "Next>"
        GENERALHOWFOUND : ""
        GENERALWHYBUY : ""
        PAYMENTMETHOD : "54"
        RANDOM : "0.485046925096871"
        REFPAGE : "http://www.i-sounds.co.uk/"
        SEQUENCE : "2""

Do you know what the "counter file" is so we can unlock the permissions?

Seasons Greetings,

Jan (i-Sounds)

Comment

it's probably the one Duncan mentioned in his first reply, Jan
          worth checking the order.num is set to 600 and try again?
          Tracey

Comment

You shouldn't need to change permissions in the acatalog folder at all, Actinic manages the permissions. I would consider purge and refresh.

Comment

order.num only works with 777

Thanks Tracy,

I tried setting the order.num file to 600 and it came back with the same error. It will only work when the permission is set to 777, which seems strange. I have set all of the files in the acatalog to 777 and it seems to work. I am now going to try and set them all to 755, as I think is more secure. If I am overlooking any security aspects then please do let me know. I am pretty new to website and server-stuff, so it would be appreciated.

Kimd regards,

Jan (i-Sounds)

Comment

Originally posted by drounding
                You shouldn't need to change permissions in the acatalog folder at all, Actinic manages the permissions. I would consider purge and refresh.
                Hi Duncan,

Thanks for your email. Once again this community astounds me, such kind and genuinely helpful people, and not just at Christmas

I would love to do a purge and refresh, but we sell 20GB of downloads, and when you do this Actinic starts the upload process from the beginning. And I will be away all Christmas relying on the downloads for income.

Are there any manual "ftp" transfer of files I can do to get around this issue? I have full FTP access. Thanks again, you're a star!

Seasons Greetings,

Jan (i-Sounds)

Comment

when you do a refresh, you can check the box that opts NOT to upload unchanged images and digitial download files.
                  This should stop it presenting such a problem, time-wise
                  Tracey

Comment

I am on version 7 though....

Originally posted by budgetbumps
                    when you do a refresh, you can check the box that opts NOT to upload unchanged images and digitial download files.
                    This should stop it presenting such a problem, time-wise
                    Hi Tracey,

Thanks again for your help! I spoke to Actinic this week and they said that in my version of Actinic 7 that this option was not available. I don't really want to risk it unless it is definitely going to work... Do you have any other suggestions? Thanks again!

Seasons Greetings,

Jan (i-Sounds)

Comment

I don't think that change was made to v7.

You're best bet is to try 755 for now until you have an opportunity to resolve this with Actinic. You shouldn't need to have to mess with permissions. 755 is more secure than 777, although important, your cgi-bin permissions are more important than acatalog.

Comment

Hi Duncan,

Thanks for your suggestion. I think I will see how it goes with 755 then look to get a V8 site (or v9 site) built in the 2nd quarter of 2008 as we keep having problems with downloads where we have to re-upload them, and it takes forever... I will also see if Actinic can suggest anything. It has been two weeks of errors and problems with everything from SMTP to FTP and I don't think I can get into this before Christmas and New Year is out of the way!

I hope you have a great Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Seasons Greetings,

Jan (i-Sounds)

Comment

IIRC the official Actinic advice regarding permisions is that the cgi-bin should be 755 and acatalog should be 777.

Many of us get away with using 755 for both, but sometimes it only works when acatalog is 777, hence the actinic recommendation.

See this thread: http://community.actinic.com/showthr...og+permissions

Mike
                          -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by olderscot

Many of us get away with using 755 for both, but sometimes it only works when acatalog is 777, hence the actinic recommendation.
                            and some hosts don't allow 777 permissions on your folders either!
                            Tracey

Comment

Working...
                            X