Moving to New Dedicated Server - Getting it Right

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving to New Dedicated Server - Getting it Right

We are moving our entire website to a dedicated server in about a week.

Actinic obviously needs to follow.

We're currently running V7MU on a shared windows server
    Moving to a dedicated windows server running IIS6

I'm a bit concerned to make sure we get the transfer right

The new website is up and running on a temporary ip address; we will transfer the www.tutor2u.net dns to the new server once everything is tested and working.

Is it simply a question of copying across the acatalog directory from the old server to new and then determining the new network settings using the wizard?

Will the network wizard be thrown by the fact that we are using a temporary ip?

At what stage should I cancel ordering on the existing actinic store, before transfer?

or should I initially set up a new site on the new server and make sure that is working before refreshing it with our existing actinic store?

I wonder also whether this is the right time to upgrade to to V8.5?

So many questions

Some guidance from anyone who has done this before would be much appreciated.

I'd also be happy to pay someone with the right skills to manage the transfer for us

Jim
    www.tutor2u.net

Smarta Marketing Firm of the Year 2011

tutor2u on Facebook

tutor2u on Twitter

Originally posted by Jim Riley
    The new website is up and running on a temporary ip address; we will transfer the www.tutor2u.net dns to the new server once everything is tested and working.
    we usually configure DNS so both IPs will respond over a 24 hour period, then turn off the old IP - thus no downtime during a move from one server to another - it depends on whether your new host can do this for you
    Is it simply a question of copying across the acatalog directory
    and cgi-bin
    thats all we do, the next time the pc connects to the site at the new IP actinic will force a refresh

Will the network wizard be thrown by the fact that we are using a temporary ip?
    if you upload using IP in network setting then your links will also use ip rather than pathname, this can cause cookie issues if a customer swaps from ip to path ie empty basket
    At what stage should I cancel ordering on the existing actinic store, before transfer?
    you might not need to do this if you can point DNS at both IPs
    or should I initially set up a new site on the new server and make sure that is working before refreshing it with our existing actinic store?
    upload it using IP as a test, once DNS has resolved to new IP refresh

I wonder also whether this is the right time to upgrade to to V8.5?
    soon but not as part of this exercise

Comment

Working...
    X