Uploading and linking to existing Website

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As a relative newcomer I'm now nearing completion of my Actinic Store using Catalogue v7. It's taken an age, but I'm getting there. Loads of products etc.
    Question, I've already got a large website listing all my products which I had intended to remove all of the products pages as they are now in catalogue and no longer needed. However, several pages contain graphics/pictures, information,seasonal tips etc., which I doubt I can include in catalogue so I would like to know if I can upload/link to the pages in my existing site. Ideally I would like visitors to visit my existing home page and link to the catalogue store using a link I could place on the existing home page. Can this be done and if so how and in what file structure etc? Any help very much appreciated. Ta! in advance

HI Michael

This is all very easy. Your Actinic store will upload to a sub-folder on your site called 'acatalog' so to create a link from your current home page to your store front page, just create a link to 'acatalog/index.html'.

You can then link to your old pages by using the 'File/URL' and 'Information Link Text' fields within the 'Links' tab of your products. Add in the details of the old page here, and the link will automatically be added to your new products.

Comment

Hi Chris,
      Very many thanks for the reply, pretty obvious really I suppose, silly me!
      Just one other point, my present home page as such is index.html, is the fact that the Actinic site home page is also index.html going to present a problem, I know it's going to be in a folder of its own, but????

Cheers Mike

Comment

No problem in having more than one index.html in different directories. Indeed it somewhat simplifies things as you could tell someone your storetop is www.mysite.com/acatalog without needing to add a file name.
        Norman - www.drillpine.biz
        Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Norman,

isn't there an option somewhere in Actinic to make sure that your home page isn't overwritten?

I know that on my new site, the www.originaltouch.co.uk/index.html keeps getting overwritten whenever I upload. (So keep going back to Dreamweaver to overwrite it again!)

Can't remember where you ensure that it uploads to acatalog/index.html instead.
          Sam
          http://www.originaltouch.co.uk
          http://www.spcb.co.uk

If you spend your whole life waiting for the storm, you’ll never enjoy the sunshine.

Failure is the tuition you pay for success.

Comment

Sam,
            I think you're getting confused between the Brochure "home" page which gets uploaded to [domain]/index.html and your "shop" home page which gets uploaded to [domain]/acatalog/index.html

If your www.originaltouch.co.uk/index.html keeps getting overwritten then it is the brochure home page that is doing it. You can either:
            1) Change the filename of the brochure homepage to something else e.g. shophome.html
            2) Delete the brochure home page so it is not uploaded
            3) Rename your handmade index.html homepage to something with higher precedence on the server e.g. normally something like index.htm suffices.

A few ideas.....
            Fergus Weir - teclan ltd
            Ecommerce Digital Marketing

SellerDeck Responsive Web Design

SellerDeck Hosting
            SellerDeck Digital Marketing

Comment

Thanks,

no wonder I couldn't find it and was getting confused!!!

Changed homepage name and all sorted now!
              Sam
              http://www.originaltouch.co.uk
              http://www.spcb.co.uk

If you spend your whole life waiting for the storm, you’ll never enjoy the sunshine.

Failure is the tuition you pay for success.

Comment

Working...
              X