Problem configuring website settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem configuring website settings

During initial set up I am getting an error message after I have configured the location of my cgi-bin & www directories, as follows:

"Either your web root directory path or web site address appears to be incorrect. The connection wizard attempted to upload a file to the web root directory and download it via the web server but the file was not the same as the file that was sent."

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

/Bernie.

post you network settings and a screen dump of your web server set up
    Owner of a broken heart

Comment

I am having exactly the same problem.

I have checked folder permissions and they are fine. I have followed advice by removing files and doing a fresh upload/refresh (failes at the same point whichever method I choose). I have deleted cgi & actinic directories and done afresh. I have changed the script ID 2 or 3 times, but still failes. I have checked file path structures and I have looked at lots of other instances on here and cannot find the exact replica of this problem.

Either I am missing a fundamental point in my set up (we had Actinic working fine; but we changed servers in the hosting company and now these problems are coming). I am using the perl settings they are advicing.

Not sure if the problem is that the perl files cannot be executed in some manner due to the way perl is installed on this particular server, if my settings are missing something fundamental or if there is a 3rd option.

I have tried running 'test ' in advanced network setup; but everytime I run this; it gets to 'Testing normal settings: Testing CGI script settings..' and crashes. I have sent a snapshot and the dump file to support@ today for them to look into.

Head scratching after 3-4 hours looking in the forum and making adjustments as advised at several points. Ticketing hosting company to see if they can find something in permissions etc., but all to no end.

I am running Business Plus v9.0.5 JHZA. I am on a Plesk system (the new server package they moved me onto this weekend) on a Linux system at CWCS hosting.

Here are my network settings (as I see others have had to post theirs for insight/feedback):

HTTPPROXYMODE 0
      HTTPPROXYADDRESS
      HTTPPROXYPORT 80
      HTTPPROXYUSER
      HTTPPROXYPASSWORD
      FTPPROXYMODE 0
      FTPPROXYADDRESS
      FTPPROXYPORT 21
      FTPPROXYUSER
      FTPPROXYPASSWORD
      SCRIPTID 1
      SCRIPTEXT .pl
      SMTPHOST localhost
      WEBSITEURL http://www.ebaytoolkit.co.uk
      IGNOREPASSIVEERRORS true
      USERELATIVECGIURLS false
      PATHTOPERL /usr/bin/perl
      USEENHANCEFTP true
      FTPCLIENTTIMEOUT 15000
      FTPRETRYDELAY 3000
      FTPKEEPALIVEINTERVAL 30000
      FTPSILENT false
      FTPMAXRETRIES 3
      FTPCONNECTTIMEOUT 25000
      SMTPAUTHREQUIRED false
      SMTPUSERNAME
      SMTPPASSWORD
      COMPRESSIONPACKETSIZE 1024
      COMPRESSEDUPLOAD false
      CATALOGURL http://www.ebaytoolkit.co.uk/acatalog/
      ONLINESTOREFOLDERNAME acatalog
      CGIBINURL http://www.ebaytoolkit.co.uk/cgi-bin/
      PATHFROMCGITOCATALOG ../httpdocs/acatalog/
      CODEBASE ./
      FTPHOST ftp.ebaytoolkit.co.uk
      FTPUSERNAME *****
      FTPPASSWORD *****
      PATHTOCGIBIN cgi-bin/
      USEPASSIVEFTP false
      FTPPATHFROMCGITOCATALOG

Advice greatly appreciated!
      Nigel Singer
      www.lifetools.com
      Solutions for Life

Comment

Yes - thanks - compacted database - been through all the steps possible.

Partly think it may be the perl installation on the server. When I go to upload the site it failed on the merging files at the final process it comes up with 'an error occurred while merging files on the remote site' and when I run the wizard - after I have hit the stage of 'directories' I point it to the cgi-bin directory and point it to the right web root directory.

These are correct as all of the files in the 'upload' process have been placed in these 2 folders. The folder permissions are correct (777 & 755 for Linux server); however straight after I pointed the directories and hit 'next' it comes up with the error warning at the top of this thread.

I cannot believe the root directory or web site address - as per the warning - are incorrect. Therefore it must be related to the test file it uploads and downloads; if this test is linked to a script running from the cgi - then that would 100% point to the server. However, if I knew what the file uploaded and downloaded was - I could look at it - whilst waiting for the server team to investigate the perl issue.
        Nigel Singer
        www.lifetools.com
        Solutions for Life

Comment

I cannot believe the root directory or web site address - as per the warning - are incorrect.
          Strange as it may seem, try clicking this from your settings:

WEBSITEURL http://www.ebaytoolkit.co.uk

I get a page cannot be displayed error. It appears not to exist (no IP address from DNS) ?

Mike

Edit: Interesting that it appears without the www., Sounds like a dns setup problem to me. Give your hosts a b********g (or maybe yourself if you messed up the nameserver settings in 123-reg).
          -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

Off topic but this has got to be the winner of the "what's the oldest post I can successfully resurrect" award.
            Elysium:Online - Official Accredited SellerDeck Partner
            SellerDeck Design, Build, Hosting & Promotion
            Based in rural Northants

Comment

Thanks - sometimes the solutions are simple in the end.

On the Plesk server you had to say if you wanted the 'www' on as an option when you add a domain. I didn't select this so ebaytoolkit.co.uk was registered, but in my network settings I was putting in www.ebaytoolkit.co.uk.

I thought the www was largely redundant these days; but no, it is still critical in linking domains to hosting and in the network settings.

Reason it was an issue - is I was on a hosting package at this company and the perl kept failing to execute and everytime I added a domain; they had to do a manual workaround - in the end they moved me to a new server with the Plesk system and the problem 'looked' the same.
              Nigel Singer
              www.lifetools.com
              Solutions for Life

Comment

Shame i missed this post earlier (other issues to deal with here) i have been working on plesk servers for the last two months and although its a learning curve i generally find it better than the whm/cpanel

www is still important for many reasons. And yes it gives you the option to select if you miss it you can always add a new cname record to the dns for www.mydomain.co.uk

i would also recommend adding somethign to your htaccess file so your site defaults to www or you find people end up with empty baskets when the try and check out.

Also dont forget to register your site with google webmaster tools and specify your url with or without www

Comment

Thanks Darren, going to get a checklist made up now of steps and processes so I don't miss anything obvious.

Will look at the google service now and see how I implement it.
                  Nigel Singer
                  www.lifetools.com
                  Solutions for Life

Comment

Working...
                  X