Need help with pointing www 'A' record to new IP address

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help with pointing www 'A' record to new IP address

Here's the problem: My domain name was originally bought via my current host 'Catalise' (previously Drummond Media) but their customer service is terrible and for the past 2 weeks I've been trying to get them to point it to a new IP address as we decided to move to Actinic Hosting.

Does anybody have any advice on this?
    There doesn't seem to be a way to do this ourselves via the 'control panel' that the host gave us for our web space.

Is there an application that I can use to redirect it ourselves instead of waiting for our current host to do it?

Or is there another way to do this? Do we need to contact 'Nominet' for example?

We've already signed up and paid for the Actinic Hosting but 2-3 weeks later we still can't use it. And countless tech support tickets and phone calls to the current host with still no reply.

Any help (and clear non techinical advice) would be greatly appreciated.
    www.ComicDomain.co.uk

you can only do this `via your host, however if they are really uncooperative you should change the tag to a registrar that gives you control panel access

if its a co.uk you could contact nominet and get them to help you move it away, nominet will require you to prove who you are in order to prove ownership prior to moving it

Comment

you should change the tag to a registrar that gives you control panel access
      Iwould agree with jo on this one a good one IMO is 123-reg.co.uk

Comment

OK try easily.co.uk

transfer the name into them, cost about £10, if they have not secured it within 24 hours, then request a transfer to them from nominet

as said this is for .co.uk domains, then for nominet to change the tag it will cost you £10 +vat normally done within within hours of paying the fees, can be done online.

Once changed over if you use easily, login to your account, click on the A symbol next to the domain name and chneg the name servers to the actinic ones.

to be honest i would register a domain name, set this to actinic, then upload a .htacess file redirecting to the new domain until you get this resolved. It would allow you to move instantly (isp and ns permitting) and then you can worry about the changes after.

I can vouch for easily and there NS record changes are done instantly and i can normally upload to my new webspace withing an hour of changes, they are reasonable cheap for registrations.

D

Comment

Try ZoneEdit

If you can change the nameservers on your domain, you can point them to zoneedit (get a free account at zoneedit.com) and then you can configure 'A', 'MX' and 'CNAME' Records as you like.

Hope this helps,
          Regards,
          Richard
          www.frozenskys.co.uk

Comment

Working...
          X