Can't set up my own web server for a trial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't set up my own web server for a trial

My web server is with Wiserhosting which is Linux based. My ISP is Tiscali, broadband connection at 8Mb and I use a Netgear router providing a permanent internet connection (PCs are ethernet cabled - not wireless).

When I try to set up my web server to upload the trial version of Actinic I get as far as the wizard page asking for cgi-bin directory and web root directory.

These have been entered but when I click on 'Next' I get the following error message:-
    "An error occurred while sending an HTTP request to the web server. Perhaps your network is down or the web server is down."

This is nonsense since I can upload files with Terrapin FTP and also access the web site in my browser, both from the same machine!

Help please?

Hi Ken,

This is most likely a problem with your network settings. can you export them to a text file and then copy and paste them into the forum. We might be able to spot what the problem is.

And remember to overwite your username and password as these also get exported into the text file.

Mike
    -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by olderscot View Post
      Hi Ken,

This is most likely a problem with your network settings. can you export them to a text file and then copy and paste them into the forum. We might be able to spot what the problem is.

And remember to overwite your username and password as these also get exported into the text file.

Mike
      The Netgear modem/router does not appear to have an export settings function. What exactly do you want to know? As I said, the network is permanently connected to the internet and all ethernet PCs and wireless laptops connect instantly on startup without problems.

Ken

Comment

Hi Ken,
        Mike means your Actinic network settings, not the router settings. In Actinic, go to Web/Network Setup and click the Export button. This will export your FTP settings, CGI-Bin path etc. Copy the details from this file, removing your FTP name and password that will appear in there, and paste the rest of the information here. Others more knowledgeable than me will then tell you what's wrong!
        Ben
        Ben
        http://www.fairygoodies.co.uk

Comment

An easier option may be to use the free trial webspace actinic offer.

Comment

I always get this if I tick 'send mail to me after getting an order' I just ignore this and do it later and it goes through.
            Web design Bradford

Comment

Originally posted by Fairyglass View Post
              Hi Ken,
              Mike means your Actinic network settings, not the router settings. In Actinic, go to Web/Network Setup and click the Export button. This will export your FTP settings, CGI-Bin path etc. Copy the details from this file, removing your FTP name and password that will appear in there, and paste the rest of the information here. Others more knowledgeable than me will then tell you what's wrong!
              Ben
              Because I couldn't get past the error page without cancelling, Actinic ended up with no network settings. However, I discovered that by allowing that then going to 'Web/Configure Web Site Details' the wizard worked!

All is now well and I have a trial set up on my own web server.

Thanks to all who offered help.

Ken

Comment

Originally posted by RuralWeb View Post
                An easier option may be to use the free trial webspace actinic offer.
                But I wanted to be sure I could set up on my own web server before commiting to a purchase.

You'll see from my other recent message that I now have it sorted.

Ken

Comment

Working...
                X