error with too many items

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

error with too many items

We have been experiencing a problem for sometime now when a customer places a large number of items in the basket an error page is shown when they go to make payment.

Not sure if it occurs because of the number of items or the amount of time the customer has spent adding items to the basket

Any ideas??

Thanks

Kevin

Got a URL Kevin so we can have a play?
    Affordable solutions for busy professionals.
    Website Maintenance | UK Web Hosting

Comment

url

www.stitchncraft.co.uk

Comment

any idea how many?

I am up to 10 without any issue??
        Affordable solutions for busy professionals.
        Website Maintenance | UK Web Hosting

Comment

I have had this reported too on a page with many products with a single add to cart. The solution has been to split the page into parts. I think the script processing time perhaps takes too long on some servers with multiple products.

Comment

it can also be a hosting issue. We've had clients move to us as their old host threw errors when adding 100 items to the basket

Comment

Are you using fasthosts by any chance?

Comment

I had a strange ie error when i was playing so it may be code related as I note thet checkout has been modified?

Comment

Yes I am using Fasthosts. The numbers of items in the basket can be as little as 20 but some baskets of 30 or 40 items can go through ok. That's what makes me think it's a timing issue rather than number of items

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Firth View Post
                    Yes I am using Fasthosts. The numbers of items in the basket can be as little as 20 but some baskets of 30 or 40 items can go through ok. That's what makes me think it's a timing issue rather than number of items
                    Ask yourself, of all the 100's of hosting companies you could be using, how could i have possibly guessed your host? (i didn't cheat). Fasthosts + Actinic = carnage, do yourself a favour and change hosts to a proven actinic provider. Fasthosts are the most problematic actinic host bar none, the forum is littered with troubled sites when using them.

Comment

I used fasthosts all those years ago when Mole End started, the problem I had was that when I looked it all worked fine but when people tried to shop, it didn't. My explanation for this after a lot of consideration was that the resources were too thinly spread. I moved hosts and my sales doubled in the first month, it was scarey really.

I've had lots of hosts since then but the only one I wouldn't use again is fasthosts.

I actually think that fasthosts have a lot of good points, great techical support for example, even at 4 in the morning but I am yet to be convinced that they make good hosts for Actinic sites.

Regards,
                      Jan Strassen, Mole End Software - Plugins and Reports for Actinic V4 to V11, Sellerdeck V11 to V2018, Sellerdeck Cloud
                      Visit our facebook page for the latest news and special offers from Mole End

Top Quality Integrated label paper for Actinic and Sellerdeck
                      A4 Paper with one or two peel off labels, free reports available for our customers
                      Product Mash for Sellerdeck
                      Link to Google Shopping and other channels, increase sales traffic, prices from £29.95
                      Multichannel order processing
                      Process Actinic, Sellerdeck, Amazon, Ebay, Playtrade orders with a single program, low cost lite version now available from £19.95

Comment

at the risk of repeating myself, its all to do with the resources your site gets from your server. Use a host where you fight for resources and you struggle to get many order lines in a basket, move to a host who doesn't overload sies on to servers and hey presto you can get huge baskets. Its a no brainer

the old saying - spend money to make money

Comment

what jo says ties in with the error message I got using ie. It implied that it was not able to get the info required to load the page. So it certainly seems you are being throttled by your host ie you are being denied resources because they are all being used by other sites on the server. Its a common practice with cheap hosts which usually results in slow sites but it the first time I have seen ie giving a warning about it

Comment

Working...
                          X