preloaded rollovers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

preloaded rollovers

When I base the layout of a new page on an external html file that has rollover images, the rollovers don't get preloaded. If I look at the resultant html code I find that the file has two 'body' sections and the only images that get preloaded are the ones in the main template file (eg Act_Primary.html). How do I get round this? What am I doing wrong?

I woder how you ended up with two <body> tags? How are you creating your designs? Did you just copy the entire code from Act_Primary.html into your external file? If so, then this will not work.

You need to copy the code in the <HEAD> section in Act_Primary into the <HEAD> section of your external file. You then need to copy the contents of the <BODY> tag from Act_Primary.html into the <BODY> tag in the external file. Finally, you need to copy the bulk area (everything in the main table) from the Act_Primary.html file into your external design. You can then save your new file in your 'Site1' folder and select it as the 'Overall Layout' template for the store in 'Design | Options | Layouts'.

That is how you can turn an external file into an overall layout template. Then, add in your extra preloaded files into the <body> tag of your new file like this.... (extra code shown in bold)

onLoad="NETQUOTEVAR:ONLOAD;PreloadImages('image2.gif','image2.gif','image2.gif','image2.gif','image2.gif','image2.gif')"

Comment

preloaded rollovers cont.

Chris,
      Thanks for picking up my thread.. I've realised that my original post was a little ambiguous, so here's a more detailed explanation of my problem:

I'm actually trying to add a custom fragment to my homepage. I have changed both Act_Primary.html and Act_BrochurePrimary.html to reflect my own design.

From within Actinic Catalog, I select the Home icon (ie the top of the tree) and then select "New Fragment". I then change the Layout (ie "image and title", "image only" etc, etc) to point to my own custom html file. This file has the graphics and links that I want to appear on my homepage. The "Home" page is based on the Act_BrochurePrimary. When Actinic creates P_SiteRoot_index.html, my fragment (ie the content of my external html file) is added into the BROCHUREBODY area of Act_BrochurePrimary. The resultant P_SiteRoot_index.html file then ends up having two <BODY>'s, one from Act_BrochurePrimary and one from my external html file.

The reason the images from my fragment don't get preloaded is that they are attached to the second <BODY> in the html file which is of course illegal.

I guess I could change my external html file to not have a body but then how would I specify that its images are to be preloaded?

Comment

From within Actinic Catalog, I select the Home icon (ie the top of the tree) and then select "New Fragment". I then change the Layout (ie "image and title", "image only" etc, etc) to point to my own custom html file.
        You need to set the 'Layout' field of the actual home page to your custom file - not the fragment layout. Double-click on the little house icon in Actinic tree to do this.

Comment

OK thanks. I'm beginning to get to grips with this now.

A more generic question... Do the images that belong to each of a number of fragments on a page get preloaded?

If not, is there a way to make them get preloaded without hacking the resultant html?

Comment

...correction to the above. I mean rollover images.

Comment

So have you created custom rollover images for your brochure fragments then? This does not make any sense. Fragments are just items on a page. I do not see how these can have 'rollover images' - could you give me a page to look at.

Do you actually mean the Actinic icons for brochure pages? These get automatically preloaded by the NETQUOTEVAR:ONLOAD variable within the <body> tag of brochure pages.

Comment

Yes. I've created custom rollover images for my brochure fragments.

I've used the advice you gave elsewhere in this forum for creating fragments side by side on a page. So I have the first fragment defining a table. The next fragment defines cell1, the next cell2 etc. Then I have a fragment that does a new row followed by a few more cells and finally a fragment that closes the table.

Each fragment (cell) has a different product category. I have used the !!< >!! within the fragment text to insert my html. This html sets up a rollover image for that category.

It works.

BUT the rollover images don't get preloaded.

I can give you a URL to look at that shows this but I'd rather not post it to the forum before our site is complete. Can I email it to you directly?

Comment

You need to open the overall layout template for your brochure pages - this is normally called 'Act_BrochurePrimary.html'.

Look at the <body> tag and find where it says

OnLoad="NETQUOTEVAR:ONLOAD"

Edit this in the way as I describe above (in my original reply) to add in the filenames of your images you want to preload.

Comment

OK. Thanks. I was hoping there was a way that this could be done without editing Act_BrochurePrimary. These images will be changing at least weekly so I'll have to edit the filenames in Act_BrochurePrimary each time.

Is this something that might change in future versions? It would be nice if Actinic recognised the presence of a rollover image and updated the 'onLoad' for that page accordingly.

Comment

Working...
                    X