Anyone host on a dedicated server?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone host on a dedicated server?

Looking to use a linux server from webfusion. Just wondering if anyone has any experience of this?
    Water is both ordered and flexible at the same time. It maintains its own identity, but conforms as necessary to the circumstances around it.

-Miyamoto Musashi - The Book of Five Rings

Jake
    Buy Fire Extinguishers
    Fire Extinguishers

Can i ask what your main reasons for wanting a dedicated server are?

Comment

Main reason is for SEO. A dedicated UK IP address is a definate advantage.
      Water is both ordered and flexible at the same time. It maintains its own identity, but conforms as necessary to the circumstances around it.

Jake
      Buy Fire Extinguishers
      Fire Extinguishers

Comment

Originally posted by Firecom View Post
        A dedicated UK IP address is a definate advantage.
        Most hosting companies can offer you a unique IP address for your site if you wish. These are most commonly used for full SSL certificates.
        Save you the cost of a dedicated server if your website usage (bandwidth, disk space, processor speed) does not require one.
        Fergus Weir - teclan ltd
        Ecommerce Digital Marketing

SellerDeck Responsive Web Design

SellerDeck Hosting
        SellerDeck Digital Marketing

Comment

I doubt we need the bandwidth (although it would be great to have such a succesful store to warrant it), its purely from an SEO function. We have a few competitors and want any edge we can get.

I guess the world of SEO is a complex one with so many factors influencing it, but its one area that should never be scrimped on. Google certainly does take your sites hosting into account.

Jake
          Buy Fire Extinguishers
          Fire Extinguishers

Comment

Exactly what Fergus stated with regards the usage. Your better saving you money and finding a host with UK hosting.

Dedicated servers only really benefit people for a few reasons.

Installing your own software
            Hosting Multiple domains
            High server loads and bandwidth usage. e.t.c

If its merely a UK ip address then it would be a waste IMHO

Comment

Originally posted by Firecom View Post
              I doubt we need the bandwidth (although it would be great to have such a succesful store to warrant it), its purely from an SEO function. We have a few competitors and want any edge we can get.

I guess the world of SEO is a complex one with so many factors influencing it, but its one area that should never be scrimped on. Google certainly does take your sites hosting into account.
              Your right with regards SEO, being on a shared server hosting black listed sites could have an impact, i have no evidence it effects you just various information i have seen floating around

Comment

I seem to remember that SSL (obviously not shared SSL) needs a dedicated IP address so in most cases the IP address comes free with that option.

(I also seem to remember that you're supposed to have a good reason for requesting a dedicated IP address - in which case just tell them it's for SSL).

Mike
                -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

Your absolutely right Mike you need a dedicated ip for ssl. Shared ssl is exactly the same from a server point of view but the certificate / site is shared to all on that server.

Comment

Working...
                  X