Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1and1 setup, managed dedicated server

This is a 1and1, not Actinic question.

On a managed dedicated server I have several domains listed. Updating just one, to start with, affects all the others.

As you can see I searched first:

Originally posted by wjcampbe View Post
    In a standard 1and1 setup, all the domains will point to the root of the site and typing any domain into a browser will return the same index page. Once you navigate off the index page though, the results will follow the navigation setup - i.e. relative addressing will continue to show the domain you entered by, but follow one link hard coded to .com from the co.uk and all future pages viewed will return the .com domain path - you can confirm this by watching the file path change in the browser address bar.
    Yes, I agree, I can see that. But I don't understand, nor can I find in [Help] how to set the Actinic Advanced Network Settings to point to the [Destination] folder set in the 1&1 CP for each domain.

Nor did an external search tell me anything about how to set up a folder structure on a dedicated server. Hints gratefully received.

This'll be the death of me - two days battling, not there yet.
    Paul
    Flower-Stands.co.uk - the UK's largest online supplier of Fresh Flower Merchandising Stands

Using V10.2 with Norman's brilliantly simple TABBER.

without looking at 1 and 1

whats the os and cpanel software?

Comment

I can describe how to do this on a shared 1and1 server if it helps, but have no experience with a dedicated server 1and1 server.

Comment

Thanks for the replies - events overtook me and I forgot to come back!

I've had a number of issues with 1and1's automated 'get yourself online quick' offering this week but I do have to say in their defence that their telephone support is fairly efficient. Don't be afraid to call them - attempting to sort it out yourself, or asking questions by email, is NOT the way forward.

Advice - be veerrrryy careful, or you'll come a cropper. I'm more than happy to detail the issues that I encountered if anybody thinking of going to 1and1 wishes to PM me, but here is not the place to explain in detail.
        • Automated 'Select address from postcode' - (empty dropdown box, multiple addresses)
        • Payment by Direct Debit from a Business Bank Account - (number of signatories (!))
        • Erroneous DNS entries (fact that they exist is unclear/unexplained)
        • Set up Dedicated SSL - (invisible disclaimer if you get it wrong*)

* e.g.: Ordering an SSLCert gives a choice of 'Which Domain?' and orders from Geotrust accordingly. But it turns out there is a difference between what 1and1 list in the dropdown (domain.com) and what you actually need (www.domain.com).

Support said "We get a lot of customers with this problem" - nuff said.

Paul
        Flower-Stands.co.uk - the UK's largest online supplier of Fresh Flower Merchandising Stands

Using V10.2 with Norman's brilliantly simple TABBER.

Comment

Working...
        X