Inexplicable CGI problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inexplicable CGI problems

I have Actinic v6 running on two PCs that share an internet connection; the Actinic network settings (and every other variable I can think of) are identical on both PCs, and everything appears to work correctly when doing an upload except in one case the CGI scripts work, and in the other I get 'internal error or misconfiguration' errors from the server

This has happend with two different websites now, and I've tried everything I can think (manually checking permissions, changing script IDs, completely refreshing the website etc).

Just to add a wrinkle, the PC that doesn't work also has a copy of Actinic v9 on it, which uploads perfectly also using identical settings.

I've been tearing my hair out for days over this, so desperately need someone to suggest a possible reason for this - please!

Thanks

Jeremy
    www.magazineexchange.co.uk

Some thoughts...

I don't know v6 but have you done a network test?
    Are they the same os?
    Firewall perhaps?

Comment

The error message suggests a server problem. Have you tried uploading the website with the errors from the other PC?

Mike
      -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

Originally posted by olderscot View Post
        The error message suggests a server problem. Have you tried uploading the website with the errors from the other PC?

Mike
        Yes, as I say the same thing happens on two different websites. I have tried every combination of variables I can think of to try to isolate the difference that makes one PC send working CGI scripts and the other one not. Both PCs run XP and share the same internet connection, but there are no doubt detail differences (exact version of XP etc). I cannot help thinking that there has to be a simpler explanation to do with Actinic though, but I just can't figure out what it is

Jeremy

Comment

Did you try a network test as Duncan suggested? That might point towards the problem.

I have V6 running on a PC with V9 installed and there's no problems uploading.

If the identical site works from one PC but not another (I'd test via a snapshot to ensure identical settings) then it does sound like the PC that's the issue.

Things I can think of that could cause a problem:

1. Different versions of Actinic.
          2. Different network settings in actinic (such as passive ftp, etc)
          3. Different firewall settings. Ensure V6 has proper access rights.
          4. Microsoft firewall settings if installed alongside another firewall.
          5. Network settings such as MTU size on the PC. Did you ever run a network optimisation program on one PC?
          6. Different router settings. Check that all ethernet ports have the same access (or switch the cables around and see if it makes any difference).

Mike

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

Just to complete this thread I am pleased to say that this problem has eventually been resolved - turns out that the Actinic v6 installation that was giving the problem was missing a patch (issued in 2004!). Once that was installed everything suddenly worked perfectly

Thanks to those who replied

JA

Comment

Working...
            X