Fasthosts cgi-bin issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fasthosts cgi-bin issues

I have client who's Actinic site is running on a Fasthosts shared platform. The main site is running fine in the htdocs folder, but we now need to launch two further Actinic sites for the client, on the same server.

I have set-up the further respective FTP accounts which upload directly into sub-folders on the server, but I have issues with these cgi-bin folders that I have created in the relevant sub-folders. I'm getting the following error from Actinic when trying to set it up:

"The web server returned error code 405 - Server does not support the requested method. Your web server is not configured to accept POSTs to CGI scripts. Contact your ISP or system administrator and have them reconfigure the server."

I have manually created the new cgi-bin folders and have tried them with permissions of 755 and 777, both with no joy.

I have successfully done this same thing on other servers so I'm guessing this might be something to do with some Fasthosts settings?

Any ideas anyone?
    Web . Design . Multimedia . Branding

This is interesting because there are a lot of people who have this problem on fasthosts and we've never known why it works for some people and not for others.

From the sound of it, it'll work in the root folder but not in sub folders.

I'd suggest you get in touch with fasthosts and see if they can find something in the server settings that they can change. If they'll allow posts to cgi scripts in the main folder then there's little reason why it shouldn't be allowed in sub folders.

Mike
    -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

Have you done a seacrh of the forum for 'Fasthosts' as i know lots of people have reported problems with Fasthosts.
      Darren Guppy
      Golf Tee Warehouse
      Golf Tees and Golf Accessories.

Comment

Originally posted by Golf Tee Warehouse View Post
        Have you done a seacrh of the forum for 'Fasthosts' as i know lots of people have reported problems with Fasthosts.
        Thanks. Just reading through the many posts now.

Comment

Sounds like the solution might be to use the same cgi-bin in the root, use the root ftp account with different network settings and of course change the script id.

Comment

Originally posted by drounding View Post
            Sounds like the solution might be to use the same cgi-bin in the root, use the root ftp account with different network settings and of course change the script id.
            I'm just trying another suggested solution of disabling/re-enabling the scripts with Fasthosts but that's now gone and screwed up so the current site is no longer working.

Cheers Fasthosts.... you're so good!

I will try your method if this doesn't work.

Comment

Would it be out of line if I offered the usual Fasthosts advice: Change hosts

Comment

Hey, I wouldn't use them, but the client had it already set-up. I may have to convince soon though!

Comment

Originally posted by Richardpixel View Post
                  Hey, I wouldn't use them, but the client had it already set-up. I may have to convince soon though!
                  I had the same issue with a client that was with godaddy, they were adamant they weren't going to move, but I one through in the end LOL

Army Gore-tex
                  Winter Climbing Mitts
                  webD's Blog: Website design, SEO and other ramblings…
                  Twitter LinkedIN

If you think a post is good, rate it!

Find the answers in the Knowledge Base | Have you read the User Guides

Comment

The thing that so often gets overlooked is when a "client" chooses a host that clearly doesn't work well with Actinic that they end up laying more for their designers time to sort out the problems than they would pay for decent hosting in the first instance. Couple that with lost sales due to slower page load - it just doesn't make sense.

Comment

Tell me about!

Over 2 hours now and they still haven't managed to restart the cgi scripts. What the hell are Fasthosts playing at?!!!!!

Comment

For anyone that cares.... it took Fasthosts approximately 8 hours to re-enable scripts... mighty impressive. The best thing is that my new cgi-bin folders still won't work!

Comment

Working...
                        X