Perl upgrade causing problems - sorted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Perl upgrade causing problems - sorted

... wel, sorted on Heart Internet, anyway. Having received a panic email from a client about pages with Single Add to Cart Button generating an error when more than one product was selected on their v7 site, I checked by uploading their site and a 'virgin' v7 Site1 to proofing servers, and got the same problem. I also tried a v9 Site1, still with the same problem.

The culprit turned out to be a recent Perl upgrade (to perl-5.8.8-15.el5_2.1), which it seems has been carried out by more than one host recently judging by some other posts here, and after much dialogue I'm pleased to say that Heart have rolled back to the previous version of Perl.

I know a lot of the other major hosts won't be that pro-active so hats off to Heart Internet... and to the guy in Actinic support who helped me to pinpoint the problem (shame we can't name names here!)

Malcolm
    ¤ The world wide web needn't cost the earth
    ¤ ARTISAN INTERNET LTD
    ¤ www.artinet.co.uk

Originally posted by Artisan View Post
    ... wel, sorted on Heart Internet, anyway. Having received a panic email from a client about pages with Single Add to Cart Button generating an error when more than one product was selected on their v7 site, I checked by uploading their site and a 'virgin' v7 Site1 to proofing servers, and got the same problem. I also tried a v9 Site1, still with the same problem.

The culprit turned out to be a recent Perl upgrade (to perl-5.8.8-15.el5_2.1), which it seems has been carried out by more than one host recently judging by some other posts here, and after much dialogue I'm pleased to say that Heart have rolled back to the previous version of Perl.

I know a lot of the other major hosts won't be that pro-active so hats off to Heart Internet... and to the guy in Actinic support who helped me to pinpoint the problem (shame we can't name names here!)

Malcolm
    Your welcome Malcolm

Comment

Surely that's reactive not proactive? Proactive would ensure that an email has gone out to the complete userbase before the upgrade is actioned? That way if people experience problems, they have a possible reason in their mind as to why.

Too often hosts just change things and mopup after, that's not proactive in my eyes, nothing like .

Speedily sorted out is a better phrase in this case, so well done for that Heart.

Comment

Originally posted by leehack View Post
        Surely that's reactive not proactive?
        ... or even retroactive

I guess I've got used to finding out afterwards that something's been screwed, they all do it, so I guess all we can hope for is a good response when things do go wrong... I used to be a Pipex reseller... say no more

Malcolm
        ¤ The world wide web needn't cost the earth
        ¤ ARTISAN INTERNET LTD
        ¤ www.artinet.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Artisan View Post
          ... or even retroactive
          That's the phrase! perfect.

Comment

Working...
          X