• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is changing the script ID worth a try?
    Darren Guppy
    Golf Tee Warehouse
    Golf Tees and Golf Accessories.

Comment

Darren, if you mean the ID number then yes we did try changing that at one point, but unfortunately it made no difference.

Thanks,

Laura
      http://www.lembrassa.com
      Designs for the Fuller Bust

Comment

Yes, I was referring to the 'CGI Script ID Number' in network settings.
        Darren Guppy
        Golf Tee Warehouse
        Golf Tees and Golf Accessories.

Comment

My only suggestion is to do a refresh from the troubleshooting menu, ensure that all cat, fil pl and pm files get replaced. Change script Id to 2 just for the sake of it.

After you've done this, examine the webspace to check all permissions are correct. and that all files have the new datestamp.

Save the error.err file to PC and put and empty one back on the server.

Now monitor for 24 hours.

On another note you say your main business comes from the states, is that what you are targetting or is that just what has happened? the reason for this is of course down to the fact you use both US hosting and a com TLS. If you wanted more UK business you need to take more steps with Google to get your location recognised as UK.

Comment

Jo, thanks for the suggestions.

On your other point, I don't think I said that most of our customers are in the States (or if I did I apologise). What I meant is that a significant part of our sales are coming from elsewhere than UK. The UK is still our single biggest country, but the likes of Denmark, France, Poland, Australia, USA, and many others are increasingly appearing on our order list and are very important to us. For our main keywords we are already on page 1 or page 2 for Google in the UK and seemingly in other countries also. So if we focused all our efforts on improving the UK standing then we might at the same time lose in other areas?

Thanks,

Laura

Comment

Actinic digitally signs the .fil and .cat files to prevent hacking. The error message you're getting is saying that someone / something has altered the file and the digital signature is no longer correct.

You're unlikely to get this on .html files as these aren't digitally signed.

The reason people are suggesting that this looks like either:

a) a security issue, or

b) a server issue

is that if it were actinic making mistakes we'd expect to be seeing a lot more of it. This problem usually occurs very rarely and typically disappears with a site refresh.

Two things I can suggest are:

1. Compact your database, just in case in an error has crept in somewhere.
              2. Follow the suggestion in this thread. http://community.actinic.com/showthread.php?t=3674 to clear out and refresh all cat and fil files.

If the problem continues I personally would try a different host. You can get trial hosting from lots of people (including Actinic) and if that works without problems then it kind of points the finger at your current hosts.

Mike
              -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

What make is your router?

I recall a few years ago some people using Netgear DG384 routers having uploaded files munged by the router. See http://community.actinic.com/showthread.php?t=13557 for one thread.
                Norman - www.drillpine.biz
                Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Mike,

Thanks - that makes things a lot clearer for me.

I will be trying a number of the suggestions made on this thread to see if they resolve the situation more than temporarily.

And as you said if none of these provide the result, then it must be something to do with the server or host provider and we will have to take act on that basis.

Thanks again for putting things so succinctly,

Laura

Comment

Problem resolved

Many thanks to all who contributed and assisted with this issue.

As sometimes happens in these cases, the problem has turned out to be a combination of elements each of which had to be fixed before the whole situation could be resolved.

Security was not an issue - thank goodness. The problems were all at the client end not at the server at all. The host put in a lot of time and effort working with us and checking logs and settings at their side. All credit to them since they never believed it was their issue but still were very co-operative and put in the work to help diagnose the root cause.

The final piece of the jigsaw, which I mention because it may help others in future, was significantly increasing the default timeout periods on the FTP options under Advanced Network Options in Actinic.

Thanks from a much relieved site owner.

Laura

Comment

Working...
                    X