No announcement yet.

Rackspace Cloud

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I tend to think of cloud hosting as distributed computing on the internet. In theory it should:

- Eliminate the server as a single point of failure.
    - Scale cleanly as you need it rather than fall over if the load get's too high.
    - lead to faster loading pages.

From what I can see, rackspace are now selling it as cloud 'servers' rather than 'hosting' with the proposition being that you pay for a set number of virtual servers in their cloud. You can then increase / decrease how many of these you want (and what spec they should be) within minutes.

I guess this explains why the service might be slow (if capacity has been under specified) but I'm not sure it's a positive move.

Mike
    -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

I think it's about time to retire, this all makes my head hurt
      Chris Ashdown

Comment

Originally posted by olderscot View Post
        From what I can see, rackspace are now selling it as cloud 'servers' rather than 'hosting' with the proposition being that you pay for a set number of virtual servers in their cloud. You can then increase / decrease how many of these you want (and what spec they should be) within minutes.

I guess this explains why the service might be slow (if capacity has been under specified) but I'm not sure it's a positive move.

Mike
        almost - they have a US service that has 'servers', 'files' and 'sites' - i.e. you can 'rent' virtual servers and load them up with your software, development environments etc, you can have files that are a 'distributed network' in effect, or a 'virtual server' foir web sites.

The UK roll-out doesnt have the 'sites' option - you have to take the server option, and do EVERYTHING yourself - its an unmanaged virtual server in a distributed data 'cloud'.

seems i knew more than i thought!

i'm running www.legendgames.co.uk on the US based cloud sites option.
        Andy Warner

www.legendgames.co.uk - rpgs, boardgames, dice and other geeky stuff
        www.RPGMiniatures.com D&D and Star Wars Miniatures

Both running the Cart from Search Page hack

Also www.mainlymurder.co.uk www.thegamesplace.co.uk and www.thediceplace.co.uk

All running V8.5.2 Multisite on a windows 7 quad PC, augmented by Mole End automation, from a single shared database, using actinic specific hosting from Host-IT.

Comment

Working...
        X