Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The problem is probably due to permissions problems, but could be low disk space

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The problem is probably due to permissions problems, but could be low disk space

Have started to receive this error message when uploading the site
    (we use v7 business).

An error occurred while writing to "acatalog" on the web site. The problem is probably due to permissions problems, but could be due to low disk space. Actinic can not work with these settings. Press Cancel if you would like to manually examine the permissions and disk space on the web site. Press Retry if you would like Actinic to attempt to change the permissions on the directory for you.
    Can anyone tell me what this could possibly be?

Just had a thought.

Should the "acatalog" folder permissions be set to 777 ?
    as at the moment they are set to 755

Comment

Very common error message Gavin, have you tried any of the solutions in the forum as yet? Sometimes it fixes itself, seems to center around the network settings and whether actinic can communicate with your server. Does it pass a network test?

Comment

Have you checked the permissions?
        Can you ftp to the site?
        Have the hosts changed anything?
        Has anyone been melding in the network settings?
        Have you tried a refresh?
        Have you shut down actinic compacted Databases and restarted the software?

All of these things a re worth a try before posting. If you have done any of them, we need to know so we don't suggest something you've already tried.

Army Gore-tex
        Winter Climbing Mitts
        webD's Blog: Website design, SEO and other ramblings…
        Twitter LinkedIN

If you think a post is good, rate it!

Find the answers in the Knowledge Base | Have you read the User Guides

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys.

Definelty is not an issue with "low disk space" as have checked on our VPS and we have 5+ GB disk space free.

Have changed the permissions to the "acatalog" folder to 777. (Wonder if the host has made some changes behind the scenes as it was set to 755).

Also checked the "cgi-bin" folder and its ok at 755.

Network Test - Passes
          Ftp to site? - yes.

Will try to compact the database, restart Actinic and do a refresh of the site.

If the problem persists will post back up.

Comment

Have changed the permissions to the "acatalog" folder to 777. (Wonder if the host has made some changes behind the scenes as it was set to 755).
            I wouldn't worry to much about this, there are some hosts who have configured stuff so Actinic can run with 755 on acatalog. This is primarily due to security implications of 777. I've got several Actinic sites on 755.

if your host keeps changing acatalog to 755 and the site still runs, then all is probably fine.

Comment

Ok, I did a refresh of the site, and i got the error message again.

What now?

Comment

ask your host

Comment

Originally posted by pinbrook View Post
                  ask your host
                  Being a hosting company yourself, if a customer can to you this this problem, at your end what would you check for ?

Comment

How far through the upload does it get?
                    Does it always stop at the same point?

Comment

Hi Duncan,

Hows the diet going! Hope all is good.

I *think* its at different points of the upload so not on the same file all the time...

I will try again a couple of times and make note of the files it stops at.

It just says "Operation Timed Out".

Comment

Originally posted by GAViN™© View Post
                        Being a hosting company yourself, if a customer can to you this this problem, at your end what would you check for ?
                        Gavin that is a very strange reply to Jo's question. Have you asked the hosting company, or are you hosting this site yourself?

Army Gore-tex
                        Winter Climbing Mitts
                        Twitter LinkedIN

Comment

Originally posted by webD View Post
                          Gavin that is a very strange reply to Jo's question. Have you asked the hosting company, or are you hosting this site yourself?
                          You think so?
                          Am just curious as am able to talk direct to a "host" what it is they would test out on the server to try and find out the problem.

Comment

Gavin, you are 1 hour in and have identified that the permissions have changed without your input. And said yourself:

Wonder if the host has made some changes behind the scenes as it was set to 755
                            Yet you haven't picked up the phone and asked "Have you made any changes on the server that would have effected folder permissions?"

If I was you I would have attacked this problem on two frontS, here and with your host.

JMO

Army Gore-tex
                            Winter Climbing Mitts
                            Twitter LinkedIN

Comment

Originally posted by webD View Post
                              Yet you haven't picked up the phone and asked "Have you made any changes on the server that would have effected folder permissions?"
                              JMO
                              Talking to them via live chat as i write this.

Comment

Working...
                              X