Supanames

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Supanames

Hi Does anyone know if Supanames is a good choice for Actinic? I can seem to get the network wizard to complete!

I have recently changed my hosting to Supanames, as its been voted one of the best hosts, and has a guaranteed uptime of 99.9% on the top package.

I have had no problems with them using Actinic, apart from e-mail as it doesn't have its own SMTP, I have to use a third party, this could be causing your problems with the network checks.

Paul Robinson
    www.dessous.co.uk
    Bringing down the price of lingerie

Comment

Thanks

I rekon that it is my local network that is the bottleneck.

Thanks for clarifying :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Paul@Dessous
        I have had no problems with them using Actinic, apart from e-mail as it doesn't have its own SMTP, I have to use a third party
        How do you go about using a 3rd party? We're currently setting up an e-commerce store for a client, and would like to use Supanames but are worried about the lack of SMTP support. Is it easy to get around?

Comment

Hi there

It looks like on the following thread: http://community.actinic.com/showthread.php?t=8099, typing in localhost in the smtp server works with supanames

Kind Regards
          Nadeem Rasool
          SellerDeck Development

Comment

Hey guys, im with supanames and i CANNOT for the life of me get Actinic to upload to it.

When i try to make an 'acatalog' directory, the folder never apears, but making a folder of any other name will work fine!?

So is there a way to change actinic to work with a different folder than 'acatalog'...how about 'myShop' or something?

Steer clear of supanames for actinic is all i can say at the moment...

Heres my network config in actinic v7, am i doing something stupid here?

Network Setup JPG

The error message I get all the time is:

The directory specified as the path from the CGI-BIN to the acatalog directory does not exist on the web server. Check the path. Also see the on-line help for "Path from FTP server to Catalog".

Thanks for any help you can give!

Comment

I can see a few problems in your settings.

1) change path from cgi bin to /home/USER_NAME_HERE/public_html/acatalog/

2) Changer SMTP to LOCALHOST

3) Uncheck use enhanced FTP

The above settings work fine on my site, including e-mail.
              Regards

Jason

Titan Jewellery (Swift Design)
              Zirconium Rings
              Damascus Steel Rings

Comment

Thanks buzby, but that new 'path from CGI to ACATALOG' comes up with the following error:

Unable to move to the acatalog directory "/home/zonunauk/public_html/" on the FTP server possibly due to a mistake in the Path from CGI-BIN to acatalog Directory field.
                The specified directory does not exist or you do not have access to the directory.

I made a test ASP page to get the physical path of where that ASP page is located, and it came up with the following:

d:\users\zonunauk\public_html\

I tried using that as the 'path from CGI to ACATALOG' (without the d:\ of course), but I still get the same error as above.

Ive been trying for 24 hours to get this working now, does anyone have any further suggestions?

many thanks once again

Comment

Hi Seb,

Have you contacted Supaname regarding this issue? If one person is hosting with them, then they could check to see how that server is setup.

All i can suggest would be to register an email ticket on the following address: http://www.actinic.co.uk/support/register.htm.

If you supply them with a username and password, they could try to configure actinic to work on your website. If they can't then they should be able to tell you what happening and advise the hosting company on where to look to fix this issue.

Kind Regards
                  Nadeem Rasool
                  SellerDeck Development

Comment

Hi
                    I've got two customers websites on Supanames, one for about 3 years, 1 for 18 months, and had no problems with either.

The network settings are pretty standard:
                    catalog url: http://website.co.uk/acatalog/
                    cgi-bin url: http://website.co.uk/cgi-bin/
                    Codebase: ./
                    path from cgi-bin to acatalog directory: ../acatalog/
                    path to cgi-bin: cgi-bin/
                    path from cgi-bin to acatalog directory: left blank as suggested
                    use passive FTP transfers: checked
                    ignore passive transfer errors: checked
                    use relative cgi-bin urls: unchecked
                    smtp server: localhost
                    path to perl shell: /usr/bin/perl

Hope something in there helps.
                    Tony Depledge
                    www.depledgedesign.co.uk

Comment

Thanks Tony, but i still cant get it working.

The problem all revolved around the field below:

path from cgi-bin to acatalog directory: ../acatalog/

Its as if the directory doesnt exist, even though it does! And for some strange reason, if i try creating the acatalog directory in the supanames file manager, it doesnt appear! Creating a folder of any other name works fine though.

Has anyone else come accross this problem?

Comment

Hi Seb

I may be wrong on this, but I seem to think that I let actinic create the acatalog folder. Have you tried deleting everything back to the default supanames starting setup and then running the Configure Website Details wizard? BTW, what supanames package are you using?
                        Tony Depledge
                        www.depledgedesign.co.uk

Comment

change the path to read ./acatalog/

./acatalog/ rather than ../acatalog/ seems to do the trick on Supanames for me

Comment

Working...
                          X