Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing from Windows to Linux, but having problems

Hi all,

i am trying to set up my new linux dedicated server to host my site but the network setup always fails on the path to perl bit.

i have issued the command "which perl" and i get usr/bin/perl and a whole lot of other paths.

the issue is that I think that because that path does not fall in to the FTP user accounts web space, actinic cannot see it or does not have permissions to browse to it.

I am using CentOS 5 and I am not a linux man, but I try and teach myself. I've searched around these forums and I am unable to find the answer to help me overcome this.

On my old windows host, everytime i used to create a site it would have a perl folder sitting in the webspace too, so it worked all the time.

Can anyone help me either create this perl folder in the FTP user accounts webspace or show me how i can tell actinic to look outside the FTP user accounts webspace??

My host is 1 and 1 and it is running CentOS 5 with Plesk control panel.

Any help appreciated! thanks!

Mario

Actinic puts no files into the "path to Perl" location. This is used internally by the various Perl scripts, so just enter the correct value into Advanced / Network Setup.

The Perl files are put into your cgi-bin directory which will be inside your FTP space.

There are example network settings on this Community for 1&1 / Linux.
    Norman - www.drillpine.biz
    Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Thanks for the reply Norman.

the Network setup wizard is failing when trying to set up the path to perl. It keeps trying guesses and then asks me to manually put it in. When I do it then says that a HTTP request to the server failed.

I have ensured that the permissions on the CGI BIN and web root directories are 777 for testing perposes. But still this problem persists.

My setting are attached.

Can you suggest anything I am doing wrong? These settings worked perfectly well with my windows host. But not my linux host.

Mario
      Attached Files

Comment

Are you sure that this is right:
        PATHFROMCGITOCATALOG ../httpdocs/acatalog/
        try:
        PATHFROMCGITOCATALOG ../acatalog/

Comment

Hi,

sorry about this, I think I am confusing myself here.

I have setup webhost like this.

CGI BIN

www.domainname.com/cgi-bin

acatalog folder

www.domainname.com/httpdocs/acatalog

FTP User home directory is /

should it be set up like that?

Ideally i'd like the website to work without having to put any "/"'s in the URL.

so www.domainname.com goes straight to the Actinic Brochure page.

Thanks for your help so far.

Mario

Comment

Your home page will be loaded to the root folder, all other pages are loaded into your 'acatalog' folder.

Comment

Can you do this:
              www.domainname.com/acatalog
              instead of:
              www.domainname.com/httpdocs/acatalog

Comment

Hi drounding,

when I create a new domain on my host, the webspace automaticaly assigns the real folder called "httpdocs" as the website root.

For example, when I hit www.domainname.com it actually goes to www.domainname.com/httpdocs/index.html

Now, my CGI-BIN folder does not get put in to this httpdocs folder. So is actinic going to have trouble navigating to the CGI-BIN do you think? What would the URL be?

I have created a new site from scratch in designer, for testing purposes. I've also created the domain and its webspace on my server for testing purposes. When I use the wizard, it fails on the path to perl shell location after it tries guesses. When I try and click next, i get the message about failing to send a HTTP request to the server.

Something wierd is going on here.

I will try and put in manual settings rather than using the wizard and then post them on here.

Mario

Comment

Hi all,

please find the latest network setup export attached.

When clicking the test button i get the following error...

Actinic received a server error from the web server. The CGI scripts are not executing properly on the server. The error could be caused by several things. Check:
                  - the 'Path to the Perl shell'
                  - the 'CGI script extension'
                  - the 'Path to CGI-BIN'
                  - the 'CGI-BIN URL.
                  - the amount of web space left on your server
                  - if your server is configured to accept POSTs to CGI scripts
                  - the permissions on the server:

On Linux/Unix based servers the permissions should be:
                  cgi-bin (755) – drwxr-xr-x
                  Online Store Folder (777) – drwxrwxrwx

In order to eliminate permissions issues, i have set 777 on both folders for everyone.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Script ID is unusual at 1024 - try 1 instead.
                    Also try USEPASSIVEFTP as true.

Comment

Hi there,

sorry that has not helped either.

I cant stop thinking that this is an issue with Perl as the wizard fails at the point where it cannot find the path to the perl shell.

I am just not sure about whether I have to set any permissions on perl directories in order for actinic to be able to use that directory.

Mario

Comment

Actinic on 1&1 Linux is usually very easy. As I said earlier there are example network settings on the Community.
                        Norman - www.drillpine.biz
                        Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Hi Norman,

i imported the settings from the thread http://community.actinic.com/showthread.php?t=28934 and the only thing that i noticed that was different was the location of the CGI-BIN

it advises /domainname/CGI-IN which came up with an error advising that the CGI BIN folder could not be found

when i change it to /cgi-bin/ it now advises that there is an error executing scripts.

I still think that this is perl related. Is there any kind of debugging available with actinic?

Mario

Comment

I've just done a packet capture on my machine and I can see that it successfully posts the file cp000001.pl in to the webspace's CGI-BIN folder.

Then i imagine that the perl scripts in the CGI-IN folder fail to run and I think its down to the perl location.

Should there be any permissions set on the usr/bin folder that the perl scripts sit in?

I can see that the file perl, has -rwxr-xr-x permissions configured. Not sure if that is right or not.

Any help on perl will be appreciated!

Mario

Comment

OK, im getting closer now...

i fouind this article in the community... http://community.actinic.com/showthread.php?t=44812 and from there I have found that I do not have the Standard Perl module installed...

I am going to crack this if it kills me!!!

Mario

Comment

Working...
                              X