1 &1 PHP version being updated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1 &1 PHP version being updated

This came from 1&1 just now. Terrifies me. Especially the bit about upgrading and *then* checking your website works.
    Can someone who knows about this, inc. Sellerdeck people, offer any insights?
    For reference, we're on a dedicated managed server.
    Our goal is to keep pace with all new technical and security-related requirements. For this reason, we inform you today about the transition to a new PHP version.
    From April 1, 2013, the PHP versions 4 and 5.2 will not be supported anymore. As of now, we will use the version PHP 5.4 instead.
    In order to benefit from the new PHP version as quickly as possible, you should already switch to the new version now.
    To do this, log in to your 1&1 Control Panel (https://www.1and1.co.uk/login) and choose the current PHP version PHP 5.4 under "Global PHP Version". Then, check if your website and scripts run properly.
    For more information on PHP, please refer to our FAQ section at: http://faq.1and1.co.uk/scripting/php/index.html
    Important: From April 1, 2013, the versions PHP 4 and PHP 5.2 will not be supported anymore. Therefore, do not wait too long before you switch your version. Thus, you ensure that your website is displayed correctly and your scripts operate smoothly.
    Please note that after the transition, the option "Register Globals" will not be supported anymore. Furthermore, we recommend updating the following applications in particular: - Contao - Drupal - eGroupWare - Joomla - MediaWiki - myorgbook - - phpBB - Serendipity - Shopware - Typo3 - WebCalendar - WordPress - XOOPS - xt:Commerce
    Do you have any further questions? Please feel free to call us. Our team will be pleased to support you - 7 days a week, 24 hours a day: 0844 - 335 - 1212
    Or send an e-mail to: support@1and1.co.uk
    We wish you a lot of success with your new PHP version!
    Best regards,
    Web Hosting Team
    1&1 Internet Ltd.
    Reusable Snore Earplugs : Sample Earplugs - Wax Earplugs - Women's Earplugs - Children's Earplugs - Music Earplugs - Sleep Masks

I also just received this.
    Can Sellerdeck please confirm Actinic and SD releases will work ok on php 5.4?

Comment

Not an official answer, but EC uses PERL not PHP, so unless your site has been modified or uses additional coding the PHP upgrade shouldn't be an issue.
      Steve Wardell
      Operations Director

Comment

We've had a lot of experiences upgrading PHP versions on servers running Actinic/SellerDeck with no issues.
        As Steve says, Actinic/SellerDeck (EC) uses Perl on the server, so unless you have any additional applications running (WordPress etc) it should not affect you.
        Fergus Weir - teclan ltd
        Ecommerce Digital Marketing

SellerDeck Responsive Web Design

SellerDeck Hosting
        SellerDeck Digital Marketing

Comment

Of course, why did I read php and think perl?

Comment

I read Perl as well. Duh. Brain hurts.
            But we do have a Wordpress blog on the server so will have to check that bit out.
            Thanks all.
            Reusable Snore Earplugs : Sample Earplugs - Wax Earplugs - Women's Earplugs - Children's Earplugs - Music Earplugs - Sleep Masks

Comment

*sigh*

I asked them where I might find the Global PHP selector in my CP as I couldn't see it.

Here's their (imo weasel-worded) response:

Thank you for contacting us.

This change will affect your server however the global php version is not a feature that your package will need. That is only for our shared hosting platforms.

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact us.

Sincerely,
              Ronnie Hanif
              Technical Support
              1&1 Internet Limited
              Grrr etc.

Comment

For the record; SellerDeck does not use PHP on the server and so any change to PHP version by the ISP will have no impact on SellerDeck sites unless of course you have specifically added any server side PHP requirements to your site which would be outside of SellerDeck support.

Gordon Camley

3rd Line Support
                SellerDeck.

Comment

Working...
                X