SMPT Server Error Mail Delivery Failed - Gmail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SMPT Server Error Mail Delivery Failed - Gmail

V16.1.2 - since adding SPF (Sender Policy Framework) and DKIM (DomainKeys Identified Mail) text to the DNS entries according to Gmail Postmaster Guidance on our site host domain and shop sub-domain we have been getting Mailed Delivery Failed notices on automated online order receipts for customers using Gmail email addresses.

There is no problem receiving emails with Gmail addresses on enquiries from customers using the contact form on our website.

The problem occurs when an automated receipt is generated in response to an online order and also when an email is sent using the mail tab on an order after downloading affecting customers only with Gmail email addresses.

It appears that the html code on the automated order response gets rejected as these emails can be resent separately with text content copied from the mailed delivery failed notices without a problem.

Any guidance on how to overcome this most welcome.

Martin Nichols
    Mantra Audio
    Last edited by Mantra; 04-Jan-2022, 09:49 AM. Reason: Extent of problem encountered clarified
    Martin
    Mantra Audio

Originally posted by Mantra View Post
    V16.1.2 - The problem occurs when an automated receipt is generated in response to an online order and also when an email is sent using the mail tab on an order after downloading affecting customers only with Gmail email addresses.

It appears that the html code on the automated order response gets rejected as these emails can be resent separately with text content copied from the mailed delivery failed notices without a problem.
    I got this one resolved by arranging for an extra SPF text line to the DNS entries to cover the IP range of CGI servers that control the PHP on our domain host platform.

Martin
    Mantra Audio

Comment

Hello Martin

i have been finding the same problem to what you describe here, gmail blocking automated order receipt emails from my website even though mails can be sent from the contact form. Just started happening at the start of March despite no changes my end.

I was wondering if it might be possible to provide any further details as to what the extra SPF text line contained in this case please, though of course I realise the individual IPs will differ. If I can approach my own domain host (my website is on a shared server) with an authoritative suggestion as to how this can be resolved I might stand a better chance!

Thanks very much, Paul

Comment

Originally posted by PA.com View Post
        i have been finding the same problem to what you describe here, gmail blocking automated order receipt emails from my website even though mails can be sent from the contact form. Just started happening at the start of March despite no changes my end.

I was wondering if it might be possible to provide any further details as to what the extra SPF text line contained in this case please, though of course I realise the individual IPs will differ. If I can approach my own domain host (my website is on a shared server) with an authoritative suggestion as to how this can be resolved I might stand a better chance!
        Hello Paul

Microsoft documentation on the issue - see Create or update your SPF TXT record:
        https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/mic...o365-worldwide

The SPF TXT lines that have been added to the DNS Zone to cover the main and shop sub-domain of our website are:

HostName Type Content
        @ TXT "v=spf1 include:spf-claramail.mail.eu.clara.net ip4:##.###.###.0/24 ip4:##.###.###.170/24 ~all"
        shop TXT "v=spf1 include:spf-claramail.mail.eu.clara.net ip4:##.###.###.0/24 ip4:##.###.###.170/24 ~all"

These appear to be a combination of Elements 1 & 3 in the Microsoft documentation table for the mail system I am using.

The IP4 addresses are linked to CGI servers that control the PHP on the host platform for PHP Versions 5.5 (old) and 7.2.

If you have a website admin you should be able to view the DNS Zone settings for your site(s) or your web host provider should be able to advise.

If you go to SD Help | Troubleshooting | Website Analysis the top section of the report of permission settings and other useful diagnostic information includes an entry SERVER_ADDR and I suggest that you check with your host that the IP address listed here is covered by the SPF TXT line(s) for your site(s)

Hope this helps

Martin
        Mantra Audio
        Martin
        Mantra Audio

Comment

That’s brilliant Martin, really useful information I can suggest to my web hosters, as well as the analysis I can do myself but which would not have occurred to me.

Thanks very much!
          Paul

Comment

Working...
          X