Network SMTP Setup problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Network SMTP Setup problems

Having read the sticky on this subject I list the following that apply.
    1. Who is your host?
    2. Is it unix or windows hosting?
    3. Is the permission on the cgi-bin set to 755?
    4. Is the permission on the acatalog folder set to 777?
    5. Is this your first upload? Has it worked in the past?
    6. Have you compacted the database in the housekeeping menu?
    7. Have you changed the cgi number in network setup and tried to reupload?
    8. Have you run the network wizard? what was the result?

Answers:
    1. Easyspace
    2. Unix....I think, see 3 and 4, awaiting confirmation from them but pretty sure.
    3. cgi-bin 0755 .........the leading '0' seems, I think, to indicate Unix
    4. acatalog 0777
    5. Yes, testing network settings only
    6. Yes
    7. Yes, 1,2,3,
    8. Yes, a few times....same failure.

The SMTP Server entry shown on attachment is just one of many including 'localhost' that have returned the same error/failure.

All help and suggestions greatfully received.

Thanks

Michael Jay
    Attached Files

Please export and post your network settings (remove usernames and passwords).
    Is this your first site upload with this host or do you have other sites running?

Comment

I've been with this host for a fair while now and they have always been OK, times seem to be changing, not such good support now, may be time for a change.

Code:
      HTTPPROXYMODE	0
      HTTPPROXYADDRESS	
      HTTPPROXYPORT	80
      HTTPPROXYUSER	
      HTTPPROXYPASSWORD	
      FTPPROXYMODE	0
      FTPPROXYADDRESS	
      FTPPROXYPORT	21
      FTPPROXYUSER	
      FTPPROXYPASSWORD	
      SCRIPTID	1
      SCRIPTEXT	.pl
      SMTPHOST	localhost
      WEBSITEURL	http://www.beebitz.com/
      IGNOREPASSIVEERRORS	true
      USERELATIVECGIURLS	false
      PATHTOPERL	/usr/bin/perl
      USEENHANCEFTP	true
      FTPBUFFERSIZE	4
      FTPCLIENTTIMEOUT	15000
      FTPRETRYDELAY	3000
      FTPKEEPALIVEINTERVAL	30000
      FTPSILENT	false
      FTPMAXRETRIES	3
      FTPCONNECTTIMEOUT	25000
      SMTPAUTHREQUIRED	false
      SMTPUSERNAME	
      SMTPPASSWORD	
      COMPRESSIONPACKETSIZE	1024
      COMPRESSEDUPLOAD	true
      CATALOGURL	http://www.beebitz.com/acatalog/
      ONLINESTOREFOLDERNAME	acatalog
      CGIBINURL	http://www.beebitz.com/cgi-bin/
      PATHFROMCGITOCATALOG	../www/acatalog/
      FTPHOST	ftp.beebitz.com
      FTPUSERNAME	
      FTPPASSWORD	
      PATHTOCGIBIN	/cgi-bin/
      USEPASSIVEFTP	false
      FTPPATHFROMCGITOCATALOG
      I've been able to upload in 'Test Mode' but haven't tried placing an order to see what happens, email wise. Had some script problems earlier but Sellerdeck support help sort that so that's now working. Just testing the whole site and making tweaks (lots of em) before final upload.

Mike

Admin: Edited to make the settings easier to see without opening a document.

Comment

Is your email address configured in the business settings of the same domain name as the site?
        ie: Is the email address something like 'info @ beebitz .com'?

Comment

Yes, michaeljay@beebitz.com, for contact details etc.

Comment

the odd thing is you have some kind of 'parking' pages on your acatalog folder and elsewhere.

Given that I don't see how Sellerdeck can ever pass the test. Have you actually tried a site upload and what happens?

Mike
            -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

Not quite sure what you mean by 'Parking Pages' apart from any left behind when I change from 'Test Mode' back to 'Production Mode'. Which I have now done a couple of times. Or is there something much more sinister I should know about?

Comment

What I mean is when you visit your 'catalogURL' which is here http://www.beebitz.com/acatalog/ then all you get is a host generated 'parking page' instead of anything from sellerdeck. (although even the parking page isn't displaying properly for me today - it did yesterday - but now I have to 'view source' to see the underlying code as all I'm seeing is a blank page)

If you want to get Sellerdeck to work, the first thing you need to do is simplify things and get the main setup working first. i.e. avoid trying to load it into a test directory as that just adds another layer of complexity.

So my advice would be to get sellerdeck uploading and working in the correct webspace first and then look at solving any smtp problems. Having the site loading and operating properly a) allows us to focus on just the remaining problems and b) helps identify what the problem is as it also gives access to the sellerdeck error log.

Mike

Comment

Thanks for info. Yes, that's what I'm doing, sorting all the little layout details and functionality etc. Just this anoying little SMTP problem, thought I might try to get some answers prior to main upload. The Parking page is something left behind from a previous Test Mode upload, I think, so might try to remove that and have a clean up. Any Test mode upload now goes to .../test/acatalog so not really sure how the other got there.
                  I'll take your advice, finish all the tweaks and then upload and see what happens, you never know, it might just work anyway.....holding breath.
                  Thanks for help.
                  Mike

Comment

I do think that's best. There are plenty of suggestions on the forum for different email settings with easyspace but any suggestions we made would just be guessing.

There have been previous threads where people have given up on this and just moved hosts. It might be best to bear that in mind if it does turn into a struggle as it only takes a day or so to make the move.

Mike

Comment

Thanks Mike. Yes, that's what I'll do, get the site functioning within itself, 'Test Mode' seems to work OK for that anyway, then try full live upload and see what happens.
                      No doubt you'll hear from me again.........no confidence, heh

Thanks
                      Mike

Comment

Hi,
                        Just to follow up a little, have just been informed by my host 'easyspace' that it is neither Windows, or Unix, it's Linux.
                        That going to be presenting a problem?
                        Apart from that, they're support answers were pretty useless rubbish and not at all helpfull.

Thanks for any advice.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Michael J View Post
                          Hi,
                          Just to follow up a little, have just been informed by my host 'easyspace' that it is neither Windows, or Unix, it's Linux.
                          That going to be presenting a problem?
                          Apart from that, they're support answers were pretty useless rubbish and not at all helpfull.

Thanks for any advice.

Mike
                          Linux is fine (linux is a unix derivative) and the majority of sites I have worked on have Linux hosting in one of its many flavours.

If you are having problems with SMTP that means that the email functions that send email from the site will not work other than that the site should operate normally. Emailing from within Sellerdeck on your PC is not affected by this.

Email setups vary from host ot host so it is difficult to give you the right information, localhost usually works but some hosts do not provide an open account for security reasons. You really need to get the settings for emailing from your provider as they should know how the host is set up, as Mike says all we can do is guess.

However you could try searching the forum looking for threads relating to Easyspace, just type EasySpace in the search box and click the search button.

Malcolm

SellerDeck Accredited Partner,
                          SellerDeck 2016 Extensions, and
                          Custom Packages

Comment

Thanks, really useful info. I'll do a search later. As you say, seems Sellerdeck is working fine, just the email.
                            We shall win eventually.
                            Thanks
                            Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Michael J View Post
                              Thanks, really useful info. I'll do a search later. As you say, seems Sellerdeck is working fine, just the email.
                              We shall win eventually.
                              Thanks
                              Mike
                              From looking at the results from that search, It appears that easyspace has had a poor relationship with Actinic/Sellerdeck, however the most likely setting for SMTP is 10.1.1.200 , which is the ip address of their mail server, and leave user and password blank.

I would suggest a read of some of those threads though as they make interesting reading, mostly they relate to email settings.

Malcolm

SellerDeck Accredited Partner,
                              SellerDeck 2016 Extensions, and
                              Custom Packages

Comment

Working...
                              X