No announcement yet.

smtp server that requires authentication

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You must have patched it wrongly and broken Actinic.pm. I'd try again from the beginning using the clean Actinic.pm. It might help if someone with a little Perl knowledge (or any programming experience) does this.

Norman
    Norman - www.drillpine.biz
    Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Originally posted by NormanRouxel
      You must have patched it wrongly and broken Actinic.pm.
      That was my first thought so I applied the patch again, following your instructions very carefully, and got the same result. Does anyone have a patched actinic.pm they could send me at office[nospam]@artinet.co.uk (remove [nospam] from address first), or is the file specific to each store?

Malcolm
      ¤ The world wide web needn't cost the earth
      ¤ ARTISAN INTERNET LTD
      ¤ www.artinet.co.uk

Comment

There are 2 issues here.

1) You need the Perl module Mail::Mailer to be available on your server for this patch to work. If that module isn't there then you will get run-time errors. Aske your service provider about this.

2) You have to have an Actinic.pm that matches the exact version you are using. See Help / About in Actinic and also search Actinic.pm for the word "revision" to get the revision number of that file.

Post that info and that may help others to send you the appropriate file.

Norman

Comment

1) You need the Perl module Mail::Mailer to be available on your server for this patch to work. If that module isn't there then you will get run-time errors. Ask your service provider about this.
          I ascertained that before I started, so no problem there.

2) You have to have an Actinic.pm that matches the exact version you are using. See Help / About in Actinic and also search Actinic.pm for the word "revision" to get the revision number of that file.
          I'm using 7.0.1.0.0.0.EGSA, but can only find
          Code:
          $ACTINIC::prog_ver = '$Revision: 478 $ ';
          in Actinic.pm - is that the relevant info?

Malcolm
          ¤ ARTISAN INTERNET LTD
          ¤ www.artinet.co.uk

Comment

I'm confused.

Earlier you said "I've tried the patch on Actinic.pm in v6 first but I'm getting the following errors:..."

I thought you were trying this on V6, not V7. I've no idea if it will work on V7, sorry.

As far as I know V7's Authenticated SMTP should do the job so I'm not going to re-do this patch when the code is already there.

Norman

Comment

I thought you were trying this on V6, not V7. I've no idea if it will work on V7, sorry.
              I need the patch for v5 and v6 sites, but if I can get it to work, I will also try it on v7 as I've had no luck with getting v7's built-in authentication to work.

Malcolm
              ¤ ARTISAN INTERNET LTD
              ¤ www.artinet.co.uk

Comment

SMTP Authentication

Will your workaround also work for Version 7. We don't use a SMTP server as such as we have SMTP feed into Lotus Notes. We use messagelabs for our SMTP feed and have tried to use there server but it will only send to address's on our domain.

Your workaround could help us out if it works on ver 7

Cheers

Comment

You'd have to get someone with Perl knowledge to adapt it. I don't think it would pop straight in.

Norman

Comment

I finally sorted out what was happening...

1) The domain I was uploading to had a DNS issue and had become un-associated from the hosting account, which wasn't helping one bit! This was a version 6 site.

2) I didn't use it on a version 7 site because I sorted that one out, my fault, I had a wrong setting in the SMTP area - doh!

Thanks for all your help, Norman.

Malcolm
                    ¤ ARTISAN INTERNET LTD
                    ¤ www.artinet.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                    X