new server idea's please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new server idea's please

My inoffice server is now 6 years old and running sbs2003 which is unsupported this year

We run 6 workstations which could grow to 10 if we are lucky in the new servers timeframe

No dedicated software on the server except sd2014, all workstations have office and outlook plus sd business plus with sites on a server disk

Looking for options on a new server be it traditional inhouse or cloud

Please advise
    Chris Ashdown

Hi Chris

I am the chap behind toplightco.com a long time user of Actinic and now Sellerdeck. I am also a director of hispecservers.com where toplightco is hosted. We are committed to being the fastest Sellerdeck hosting available and are also flexible enough to provide custom solutions for your particular requirements.

Contact me at andrew@hispecservers.com

Comment

Thanks but already have a dedicated server at UKFAST for the sites just looking for a solution for the inhouse server, now considering how little use it gets thinking along the lines of just getting a NAS setup and letting everyone just use their outlook for email

Think we may have been sold over our requirements in the first place

Still welcome any thoughts on if better to go server m/s 2012 r2 enterprise route or NAS drives
      Chris Ashdown

Comment

We used to have SBS2003 until last November, and had 4 computers in the network, accessing SD and Sage. When Sage stopped supporting XP, and Microsoft stopped supporting XP and IE8 was defunct, we completely changed the system, removing the server, basically going back to what we had before the server but much higher spec.

I now have a super-duper laptop, with sd drives as well as normal drives, and external portable backup drives. We use this laptop as the server for SD and Sage, though it is not a server. The other computers network. We run Windows 7 Pro and IE11. We backup at night and store the backup drive is a different place to the laptop.

The whole system is very much faster than before, my only regret being not doing it sooner.

I take the laptop home with me evenings and weekends, and can carry on working the same as at work, without the need to log into the server at work. This makes it much faster, especially as we have BT Infinity at home (unfortunately not at work). I have a docking station at work and another at home for docking the laptop, with separate large monitors, keyboards and mice in both locations, so it feels like using a desktop.

Sarah

Comment

I was thinking of putting all computers through the switch to a NAS drive for all storage and have my computer running sync and all computers just using outlook for email

Simular to your but keeping all the Sellerdeck files on the NAS I think that will work as long as my computer with the sync is switched on and less work for my computer
          Chris Ashdown

Comment

Working...
          X