SSL on Fasthosts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SSL on Fasthosts

I am trying to upload my first Actinic catalog (V6) on to a FastHost Linux server. I intended to have the catalog in one directory with SSL for the check-out.

I've established that the Fasthost HTTP and SSL are on separate servers and the SSL is on a Windows server.

File access is required between the Catalog and both CGI directories. I have spoken to Fasthost support who have advised me that under no circumstances would they setup NFS2 access between the two computers.

I have been advised by them that the only option I have is to load the whole catalog to the SSL directory (which is of limited size 10 MB as opposed to the 2GB in the HTTP area ) and is on a Window server which is going to potentially cause operational problems.

Has anybody got any suggestions ?
    Andrew

Without NFS (network file system) access, Actinic has no way of creating the order files within the 'acatalog' folder, so it cannot work without this.

The other option is to install a SSL certificate on your Unix webspace to allow you to connect to your Linux web space with an https connection. Ask Fasthosts about this option.

Comment

SSL

Thanks for the info. Because of the quality of telephone support from FastHosts I've gone for Actinic shared SSL.

Regards

Andrew
      Andrew

Comment

SSL / Fasthosts

Hi all,

I have just moved to Fasthosts, and intend to use their shared SSL.

I have everything working EXCEPT the path from shared SSL cgi-bin to the non secure catalog area on my normal site.

I have asked Fasthosts to see about NFS (network file shares???) and they said they will look into it - I didnt get a 'NO!' straight out the box!

Now...... As many people seem to use fasthosts, and many people have shared ssl problems with them, I have suggested they re-evaluate their current unhelpful setup....

If you need shared SSL and host with Fasthosts, I suggest that YOU also email them to express your dissapointment that they don't fully support the feature as yet - the more we badger them, the more chance we have that they will take note of our requirements.

Ive applied for the actinic shared hosting, but I will press on with fasthosts too, in the hope we can get somewhere!

I did notice an odd thing, I can traverse from SSL cgi-bin up to root then down to acatalog on the non secure server using FTP, so somewhere they ARE mapping this link - cant be too big a hop to do it via a web request can it?

By the way, I have NO problems with fasthost web servers, BUT I did make sure they knew I would be running actinic when I bought the package.

Here is my network setup for your info, on a Linux Enterprise:

HTTPPROXYMODE 0
        HTTPPROXYADDRESS
        HTTPPROXYPORT 80
        HTTPPROXYUSER
        HTTPPROXYPASSWORD
        FTPPROXYMODE 0
        FTPPROXYADDRESS
        FTPPROXYPORT 21
        FTPPROXYUSER
        FTPPROXYPASSWORD
        SCRIPTID 20
        SCRIPTEXT .pl
        SMTPHOST smtp.legendgames.co.uk
        WEBSITEURL http://www.legendgames.co.uk/
        IGNOREPASSIVEERRORS true
        USERELATIVECGIURLS false
        PATHTOPERL /usr/bin/perl
        CATALOGURL http://www.legendgames.co.uk/acatalog/
        CGIBINURL http://www.legendgames.co.uk/cgi-bin/
        PATHFROMCGITOCATALOG ../acatalog/
        CODEBASE ./
        FTPHOST 213.171.193.5
        *******NOTE I use the IP not the ftp.legendgames.co.uk
        FTPUSERNAME *************
        FTPPASSWORD *************
        PATHTOCGIBIN ./htdocs/cgi-bin/
        USEPASSIVEFTP true
        FTPPATHFROMCGITOCATALOG

Andy Warner
        www.legendgames.co.uk
        Andy Warner

www.legendgames.co.uk - rpgs, boardgames, dice and other geeky stuff
        www.RPGMiniatures.com D&D and Star Wars Miniatures

Both running the Cart from Search Page hack

Also www.mainlymurder.co.uk www.thegamesplace.co.uk and www.thediceplace.co.uk

All running V8.5.2 Multisite on a windows 7 quad PC, augmented by Mole End automation, from a single shared database, using actinic specific hosting from Host-IT.

Comment

fasthosts still refuse to set up NFS

As an update, I have received the stock answer from fasthosts that they will NOT install NFS between servers due to 'security implications'

I strongly suggest people request such a system from fasthosts, then hopefully they will take notice and sort something out.

andy

p.s. Ive now gone with actinic shared ssl, and it works fine but is VERY limited in that you cannot customise the page in any way except background colour

(dev team take note.....)

andy
          www.legendgames.co.uk
          Andy Warner

All running V8.5.2 Multisite on a windows 7 quad PC, augmented by Mole End automation, from a single shared database, using actinic specific hosting from Host-IT.

Comment

I will email my Fasthosts account manager, but I see little hope in getting this changed...

BTW who do you use for your shared SSL is it internetters? Or is it someone else?

Comment

shared ssl

I use our very own Actinic !! and they set me up in minutes of opening the morning after I applied.
              andy
              www.legendgames.co.uk
              Andy Warner

Comment

thanks, was looking under services, but found it under products...

I'll probably go that route, but fasthosts would of been half the price....

Comment

Hmm applied yesterday and still no word from them....

Comment

Working...
                  X