cgi-bin problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cgi-bin problems

I am trying to upload my site for the first time. As recommended by Actinic I am hosting this on an Envisage Linux Enterprise Server.

I am experiencing problems with uploading to the cgi-bin. At the purging part of the upload I can an error message saying:

"Actinic Ecommerce received a bad method error from the web server. The server is not properly configured to allow Actinic Ecommerce to run CGI scripts from the cgi-bin. Run Web | Configure Web Site Details... to review your web site configuration"

When I then configure website details as requested above I get an error message saying:

"Your FTP account does not have permission to write to the web root directory. Please contact your system administrator to have the directory permissions corrected"

I found something on the actinic knowledgebase which said to check that permissions on the cgi-bin are set to 755 (rwxr-xr-x) on a UNIX server. I have contacted my hosting company (fasthosts) who say that all permissions are set up on the cgi-bin.

What is strange is that when I check what has uploaded I can see some files there like acatalogue and actinicAppletTest.html. Therefore I must have some sort of permission. As mentioned, when I get to the "purging" part (which I assume is something to do with script files .pm, .pl???) this is when it says I don't have permission.

I feel like I have tried everything possible and would really appreciate some help from you guys.

Many thanks

Nats

Hi Nats

The files 'acatalog' and 'actinicAppletTest.html' will have been uploaded via FTP in a standard way.

Your problem is that the server is not allowing the Perl scripts to create and remove files within the 'acatalog' directory. This is required in order for Actinic to work (the order files *.ord are actually created by the Perl).

In order to allow this you need to ensure that the 'acatalog' folder has permissions of '777'. You should be able to do this yourself with a 'CHMOD' command in your FTP program (in CuteFTP you would right click on the 'acatalog' folder and select 'CHMOD...').

Comment

I had a simular problem with this server on Fasthosts.

After getting the run about for a day, The person on the tech help desk was asked tohave a look at all the settings and set them for me. Half a hour latter all was fine and three months down the line all is still OK, apart from some server outages over the last three days.
      Chris Ashdown

Comment

Teething problems

I have finally(!) resolved the problems with Fasthosts and I now have something up and running - yippee! Many thanks for your help Chris Dicken. Thanks also Chris Ashdown - your comments give me faith! As for the server outages, tell me about it!

Anyway, few teething problems now that the site is uploaded. It appears some files havn't uploaded properly. I had to manually upload some image files which are now showing. The stylesheets didn't upload either so I manually uploaded those but these are still behaving strangely! Also when I click the "add to cart button" "view cart" button and "checkout" button I get an error message of:

"The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request"

The site can be found at: http://atomdigitaldesign.co.uk/acatalog/

The worrying thing about having to manually upload files is that it makes me wonder what other files havn't gone across properly! Can you help me some more?

Many thanks

Nats

Comment

you should not have to manually enter to your server.

I would suggest you ftp your server and delete all cgi and acatalog date from it. then (use the refresh option) the website which should automaticaly load all your site. (Not the Update option).
          Chris Ashdown

Comment

I have heard most things Fasthosts have to say.. Timeouts seem to depend on the type of account you have. Need a bit of advice then you are welcome to contact me.
            Jenny
            Hanson Web Design
            www.hansonwebdesign.co.uk
            jenny@hansonwebdesign.co.uk
            Actinic hosting, Actinic Software, template design and re-design

Comment

Working...
            X