• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upload Problem

Hi

Actinic Business v6.1.3
    Host: 1and1

I want to upload my site to the above host. When I use the test facility in 'Advanced Network Setup' I get the following error:

'Unable to connect to the FTP server because the specified username or password is incorrect.'

When I use identical ftp settings in WS_FTP Pro I can connect so I know my FTP user name/password are correct.

Follow up to the post above

These are my network settings:

HTTPPROXYMODE 0
    HTTPPROXYADDRESS
    HTTPPROXYPORT 80
    HTTPPROXYUSER
    HTTPPROXYPASSWORD
    FTPPROXYMODE 0
    FTPPROXYADDRESS
    FTPPROXYPORT 21
    FTPPROXYUSER
    FTPPROXYPASSWORD
    SCRIPTID 1
    SCRIPTEXT .pl
    SMTPHOST auth.smtp.oneandone.co.uk
    WEBSITEURL http://www.mydomain.co.uk/index.html
    IGNOREPASSIVEERRORS true
    USERELATIVECGIURLS false
    PATHTOPERL /usr/bin/perl
    CATALOGURL http://www.mydomain.co.uk/acatalog/
    CGIBINURL http://www.mydomain.co.uk/cgi-bin/
    PATHFROMCGITOCATALOG ../acatalog/
    CODEBASE ./
    FTPHOST mydomain.co.uk
    FTPUSERNAME (My user name inserted here)
    FTPPASSWORD (My password inserted here)
    PATHTOCGIBIN /cgi-bin/
    USEPASSIVEFTP true
    FTPPATHFROMCGITOCATALOG

Comment

the only error I see is that the website url shouldn't have the index.html on it

WEBSITEURL http://www.mydomain.co.uk/index.html

should be

WEBSITEURL http://www.mydomain.co.uk/

Comment

changed, but still can't connect. Why can I connect through WS_FTP Pro and not through Actinic with the same settings

Comment

are you sure the ftp host shouldn't be ftp.yourdomain.co.uk ?

i.e. with the ftp. at the start. I looked at another 1and1 users post and they have the ftp identifier.

Mike
          -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

if I change the ftp host to ftp.mydomain.co.uk I get the error message: Unable to connect to the FTP server because the specified username or password is incorrect.'

If I change it to ftp://mydomain.co.uk I get: 'ftp://mydomain.co.uk is an invalid server name'

Comment

I tried XP's command line ftp program ( run Command Prompt and type FTP). When I try

open mydomain.co.uk

FTP reports "unknown host mydomain.co.uk"

I get the same result if I try to ping mydomain.co.uk. This implies that there's no DNS record pointing that domain to a servers IP address.

So it's a bit surprising that one of your FTP programs can access that site.

I have a OneAndOne business account (on a linux server) and all the above works OK when I substitute my own domain name.

I also tried pinging www.mydomain.co.uk and this did resolve, but there appears to be no FTP server waiting there.

Norman
              Norman - www.drillpine.biz
              Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Hi Norman

This is my fault! my domain name is not 'mydomain.co.uk' I just dont want to advertise my site until is is ready to go 'live'.

I can connect via the XP command line ftp program, and ping, and connect through WS_FTP Pro but not through Actinic.

This might be the problem:

I originally built the site on a machine not connected to the internet. Once I was happy with the layout I wanted to test all of the settings and see what it would look like as seen from the www so I set up the machine as a stand alone demo as described in the advanced user guide. This worked perfectly and I was pleased with the result.

Because the machine was never going to be connected to the internet I did a 'site snapshot' onto cdr, deleted the software from that machine, re-installed on a machine that has an internet connection and used the saved snapshot to restore my site. Even though I have changed the network settings to reflect the upload to my webhost (1and1) I think that some settings from the 'stand alone' demo have been retained somewhere and this is leading to the problem, could the software 'think' it's still running on the demo machine even though I have changed the network settings?

I hope this all makes sense!!

Comment

Have you tried substituting the ip address for the domain name.

are you sure that the domain name has resolved

Comment

I move systems between a test server and the real www (often to oneandone) all the time. The only changes that need made are those you see in Advanced / Network Setup.

I usually save both sets of network settings to text files and import the one I need.

You might want to check firewall software (if you have any) to make sure it's not blocking Actinic.

Norman
                    Norman - www.drillpine.biz
                    Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

If you'd like me to I'm happy to take a look at the underlying packets to see what the difference is between the two different ftp methods.

Here's what you'd need to do:

1. Download the evaluation version of Commview 4.1 from here:

http://www.tamos.com/download/main/

2. run commview, start packet recording by clicking on the arrow button, connect using your normal FTP package then stop recording by clicking on the square button. Then do file>save packet log and save as 'TestA' or similar.

3. Repeat 2 but this time trying to get actinic to connect and saving the filename as something different.

4. Mail me the two log files. And I'll take a look at what's happening.

For your security and peace of mind I'd suggest you use a temporary password rather than your normal one as it will be visible in the packet logs.

Mike

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

Problem now resolved

I have resolved the problem by re-installing the Actinic software.

Many thanks to all who replied with help and suggestions

Comment

Fantastic. Helped me too.

Sincerely,

http://www.zdot.com

Comment

Working...
                          X