installing a new OS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

installing a new OS

Hi everyone sorry if this is in the incorrect part of the forum.

We are using windows 98SE as our machine that we use actinic on. As you are prob aware this is not really a very secure system as if someone takes the machine they can get details off easily.

I have a new harddisk that I am to put onto the machine but am unsure if i could just install the OS(operating system) & install actinic. Will this work if I copy the data from the original disk????

I was going to start this today but will wait untill I know that actinic will work.

Many thanks,

David Shorthouse
    David Shorthouse,
    Website Manager,
    http://www.Queenswood.co.uk

There are at least two ways and I'd suggest that you prepare for both of them in case one has problems.

First note down the version of Actinic you are using (Help / About).

Also copy / paste all the information in Housekeeping / Security into a textfile. Note down the Authorization Key

The two methods are (I prefer the second).

1) Run Actinic and make a Snapshot (File / Snapshot / Export) on the old disk. Install new disk and O/S. Install Actinic using the same Authorization Key as before. Make sure you update Actinic to the same version as before. Now import the snapshot (File / Snapshot / Import) .

2) Install new disk and O/S. Install Actinic using the same Authorization Key as before. Make sure you update Actinic to the same version as before. Run that Actinic (you'll see the Demo Site) and then close it down. Rename the Site1 folder to DemoSite1. Copy the Site1 folder from the old disk into Sites. Run Actinic and you should see your data. Finally go to Housekeeping / Security and copy / paste the info from that textfile you made into all editable fields. Once you're sure all is working OK you can delete that DOmoSite1 folder.

As you're completely replacing the disk drive while preserving the old one you can easily recover if you get this wrong as you'll still have the original data to re-try with.

Norman

Norman
    Norman - www.drillpine.biz
    Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Thanks for your quick reply norman I will be taking a full backup anyway but the drive will be setup as a slave till I am happy its working.

Many thanks again,

Dave
      David Shorthouse,
      Website Manager,
      http://www.Queenswood.co.uk

Comment

Working...
      X