Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows 2003 and CGI-BIN

Hello,

I'm having a very frustrating time currently. I've been using Actinic Catalog 6 since it was released and all the relevant patches have been upgraded.

All was working fine until my host (maximum asp) upgraded the servers to Windows 2003. Now, basically, Actinic will not see the CGI-BIN directory. The 'test' in Network Settings says it returns a 404 saying it can't find the directory. When I run through the setup wizard, it spends ages on the "trying cgi-bin guesses" part. If I monitor the cgi-bin directory during this time, I can see test scripts being put in and removed (the "guessing" part). After that is done, the error I recieved is "The specified CGI-BIN URL or possibly the path the the CGI-BIN is not correct".

Clearly the path is correct as it has been uploading the files during the "guessing". The directory has both script & executable permissions and I've even changed the directory browsing settings.... still nothing.

Now, the only thing that changed was the upgrade to Win2003.... Before that (Win2K server) the site was running perfectly for the last 2 years.

Any help or perls of wisdom will be gratefully recieved,

Many Thanks

Kevin Mullins - London, England
    KDM Digital Media - Actinic web design and hosting

I have found a partial solution (I think others might have the same problem so I will share it).

The application mapping for CGI was pointed to perl.exe, which is not allowed to run in Windows 2003 (was OK in 2000). I have modified this to point to the DLL (perlis.dll, which is allowed).

That is fine, but now I am having problems with the path to the perl script engine. My hosts are looking into it and I'll post an update once I have one.

Kevin

Comment

The answer for this one is in this thread.

Comment

Thanks for the reply Chris - the othe thread was mine too (a bounce from this one realy). Unfortunately I'm still having the problems and the ISP just don't seem to be able to tell me why Actinic is not using the perlis.dll. I'll keep persevering (sp!)....

Thanks Kevin

Comment

Kevin

Tp be honest the amount of time I spent trying to make things work with NT/Win servers was a joke.

Just get hosting on a unix box
          Owner of a broken heart

Comment

Originally posted by garyhay
            Kevin

Tp be honest the amount of time I spent trying to make things work with NT/Win servers was a joke.

Just get hosting on a unix box
            Thanks Gary - but the irony is that it worked perfectly on Win2K - it was only after the upgrade to Win2003 that the Perl issue arose....

Cheers

Kevin

Comment

Thats just it.

Everytime MS do something I was jumping through hoops again. Even my host (who I had used for 3 years) advised to change and they never had Linux/Unix servers.
              Owner of a broken heart

Comment

Yep - I understand (and agree). I think the issue here though is that the ISP will not allow perl.exe to be used for security reasons and have used the upgrade as a time to impliment that. Still, its very annoying and has caused my site to be down for weeks now. They are supplying me with a dedicated machine though which will solve the problem...... finally!

Thanks for the help/comments.

Kevin

Comment

Would this be Fasthosts!!!
                  Says Mrs Grumpy
                  (Jenny)
                  Hanson Web Design
                  www.hansonwebdesign.co.uk
                  jenny@hansonwebdesign.co.uk
                  Actinic hosting, Actinic Software, template design and re-design

Comment

Nope - Maximum ASP - and I have to say their support and service is second to none. Because of this problem they have effectively given me a dedicatd machine for 200 UDs a month less than the normal.

Kevin

Comment

It's just that there was the same problem with them. Some people do seem to be ok but I had no problems until sites were put on to the windows 2003 servers.
                      Jenny
                      Hanson Web Design
                      www.hansonwebdesign.co.uk
                      jenny@hansonwebdesign.co.uk
                      Actinic hosting, Actinic Software, template design and re-design

Comment

I think this will be a common problem as more and more machines are switched to Win2003....

Comment

Working...
                        X