PERL.exe or DLL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PERL.exe or DLL

Hi - I have just had this response from my host (maximum asp) regarding using Perl:

----
    "CGI/Perl (If the .pl or .cgi extension needs to be mapped to perl.exe rather than perlis.dll it will no longer function)"

If your script is trying to use perl.exe, then it will fail since it is not allowed to run on the servers for security reasons. It must be able to use the perlis.dll call instead. If your particular scripts must run using perl.exe, then the only way around this is to move to a dedicated server. Let me know if I can be of additional assistance.
    ---

Does anybody know if it possible to configure Actinis to use the perlis.dll instead of the perl.exe. This was working fine until the servers were upgraded to Win2003.

This has now become a very important issue for me and I'm hoping it can be resolved easily (ish!).

Many thanks for your help.
    KDM Digital Media - Actinic web design and hosting

Some IIS6 servers are set up with .plx mapped to perliss.dll already. Therefore try using .plx in Advanced |Network setup instead of .pl.

Hope this helps.
    Darren

SellerDeck

www.sellerdeck.co.uk

Comment

Darren - thanks for the reply.

Still doesn't work unfortunately. When I do the test I get the message:

"The test script sent an invalid response (77:\web\users....ts000002.plx script produced no putput)

This happens even if I use .pl - thought the test file is a .pl not .plx.

MaximumASP say they can't allow me t use perl.exe any longer because of the security issues - so I'm a bit stuck really.

Kevin

Comment

Ask your isp what you need as the 1st line of your perl scripts. E.g.

#!/usr/bin/perl

then try whatever they tell you (without the #!) as the entry in Path to the Perl Shell in Advanced / Network setup - in the example above you'd use

/usr/bin/perl

Norman
        Norman - www.drillpine.biz
        Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Thanks Norman - I have tried that already to no avail.

The upside of all this is that my ISP have said they will give me a dedicated server for the same price as my standard VPS - which means I can run perl.exe and have all the other benefits of a dedicated server.

Not the ideal solution - but hopefully one that will work.

Thanks

Kevin

Comment

Hi there, just another suggestion

Does anybody know if it possible to configure Actinis to use the perlis.dll instead of the perl.exe
            This is something that the host has to do. Ask them if it is possible for them to enable the 'Perl ISAPI' extension under 'Web Service Extensions in IIS' . This should be set as default to use perlis.dll and may be prohibited so will need enabling. Also, ask them for the perl extension to be used in Actinic, ie .pl or .plx.

Often in windows /usr/bin/perl.exe works (windows just knows where to find the required files) but you could do no harm in trying 'c:\perl\bin\perlis.dll'

Hope this helps
            Darren

SellerDeck

www.sellerdeck.co.uk

Comment

Working...
            X