Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Perl Instalation... Somebody help PLEASE

Hi every1,

Although I am thick and couldn't really call myself a Web Designer I have a problem which I dont know if it is a problem with the way Im doing something or if it is my Hosting company. (useless hosting company!!)

I am trying to upload my trial site and I get to a point where perl instalation takes place (checking HTTP connection to remote server) and my pc jamms, or times out, I get a message telling me that I need to identify the path to the perl scripts. My hosts keep telling me that it is .pl but the actinic software cant seem to find it and then gives me a message telling me that conection to the remote server cant be found or is not responding???

To coin a Terry Wogan frase, "is it me" ????

Please help anybody??

There are two things you can do to help us fix your problem.

1. post your network settings here (use 'export' in the network settings page and remember to delete the username/password info).

2. Tell us the name of your host (members have lots of expereince of the settings for different hosts) and your website.

Mike
    -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

Ok

my hosts are businessserve.co.uk

Having problems exporting the settings as they all appear blank (since I have not yet successfully uploaded).

Comment

Maybe its this??

I am also getting this message in the Network Settings page:

"Unable to move to the acatalog directory "<path>/" on the FTP server possibly due to a mistake in the Path from CGI-BIN to acatalog Directory field.
        The specified directory does not exist or you do not have access to the directory".

Comment

Before you can publish your Actininc site, you must first complete your Network setup page (Advanced / Network Setup).

If you go to http://businessserve.co.uk/helpdesk/...spx?catID=2256
          they have a set of info pages to help you figure out what values you will need to plug in to the relevant fields in Actinic.

Also, the Actinic help and wizard can be quite useful.
          Eileen Eby
          http://www.wildbirdfood.uk.com

Comment

no,

Have tried the biz serve pages,

all settings are in now - it is actually the wizard that canot find the "path from the cgi-bin to the actalog directory" This is (i think) why I keep getting the error message in the wizard program!! ??

Comment

My hosts keep telling me that it is .pl
              .pl is not the path, it is the extension for the script ID.

the path will be something like /usr/bin/perl, assuming a unix box

Comment

Hi again!!

Yes, my settings are showing the correct path to the perl shell but not from the cgi-bin to the acatalog directory field (but I dont know what this means!!!)

This is the error message "Unable to move to the acatalog directory "<path>/" on the FTP server possibly due to a mistake in the Path from CGI-BIN to acatalog Directory field.
                The specified directory does not exist or you do not have access to the directory."

Comment

Thanks everyone

have sorted this now.

Comment

Web space

Can anybody tell me if the amount of webspace I have available from my host affects the display of my pictures? I have alot of products to display and at present only 10mb of space, some of my pictures are not displayed even though the file names seem ok with no spaces etc!!!

my site is http://www.mrmoto.co.uk

(please remember before critisizing the plain boring nature of my site that I am a novice and already know that in terms of design, my site is poor!!) lol

{;-)

N.B - Thanks!!!!

Comment

If you don't have enough space on your server then all your files won't get uploaded and so won't display. There's no way for us to tell if this is the problem or you've just misnamed the image files.

If the page pre-views OK then it's likely that the image is named correctly. Most web hosting has a control panel that should show you how much web space you're using. Try checking there. You can also ftp into your site and see if the image files are there or not.

judging by the size of your photos I wouldn't be surprised if you have run out of space. You'll either need some more web space or to reduce (compress) your images a bit. I'd probably recommend both as your site will load faster and you'll need more space as soon as you start building up your stats logs.

Mike

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

Working...
                      X