No announcement yet.

Facebook share meta tags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've given up on that entirely now and just used this free service instead.

http://www.addthis.com/

Its super simple to intergate and seem to do just about everything for you.

Comment

Trying to add a Facebook "like" button to my website

hello there.. Im VERY computer illiterate!1 lets get that out of the way first.
      I am running Catalog V8 and have a very basic website..
      I would like to add the Facebook "like" button to the front page of my website.. or possibly all products.. but I have NO IDEA whatsoever about code and the inner workings of Catalog..
      i have been reading the posts here but most of it doesn't make any sense at all to me.. Apologies for being a bit dumb.. but can anyone help me at all??
      i looked at Facebook developer site and that confused me even more...
      Thank you
      Graham

Comment

@graham

If youre going to attempt to add your like button yourself, then i'd download the Advanced user guide, get your head around how to edit the code on the product list layout and go to facebook, read about how they recommend you add your like button, use the code they give you. Reread this thread and see what happens.

If youre struggling, i'd recommend paying a coder to sort it for you.

Comment

I go away for a bit, come back with this task in my mind, take one look at this thread and my brain just instantly melts.

Hello folks.
          Football Heaven

For all kinds of football souvenirs and memorabilia.

Comment

I'm having some trouble with these Facebook meta tags aswell. Again it's the img tag that is causing trouble. My code is as follows
            Code:
               <actinic:block if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22PageType%22%20%2f%3e%20%3d%3d%20%22Section%22" >
            	<actinic:block type="ProductList" >
            	<meta property="og:title" content="<actinic:variable encoding="strip" name="PageTitle" />" />
            	<meta property="og:type" content="product" />
            	<meta property="og:url" content="<actinic:variable name="CatalogURL" /><actinic:variable name="SectionPageName" />" />
            	<meta property="og:image" content="<actinic:variable name="CatalogURL" /><actinic:variable name="ProductImageFileName"/>" />
            	<meta property="og:description" content="<actinic:variable name="MetaDescription" />" />
            	<meta property="og:site_name" content="Denmanbrush.com" />
            	<meta property="fb:admins" content="xxxxxx" />
            	</actinic:block>
            The trouble is that the og:image tag produces incorrect results i.e.
            <meta property="og:image" content="http://www.denmanbrush.com/acatalog/images\Gents\D3M_display.jpg" /> instead of
            <meta property="og:image" content="http://www.denmanbrush.com/acatalog/D3M_display.jpg" />

By removing the CatalogURL variable the result produced is <meta property="og:image" content="D3M_display.jpg" />

my question is why is it that when you place anything in front of the ProductImageFileName variable does it produce the full file path of the image instead of just the image file name? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm on version 10 by the way.

Comment

If you place the images in your site folder rather than in subfolders will work correctly, otherwise I think you may need some php in Actinic to strip the path from the image file name.

Comment

Thanks Duncan for your quick response.

I've already had this thought, but it would mean moving around 1000 images and changing all image references within Actinic. I keep all my images in structured folders on the dev server for ease of use, I know when the site is published to the web that everything is dumped into the acatalog folder and the site serves everything from there.

Surely the issue I'm having is a bug of some sort? I just don't understand how having the ProductImageFileName var on its own will produce a different result than if you have CatalogURL and ProductImageFileName together.

For instance the following FB meta tag works fine this way

<meta property="og:url" content="<actinic:variable name="CatalogURL" /><actinic:variable name="SectionPageName" />" />

The result this produces is http://www.denmanbrush.com/acatalog/...ing-brush.html

Any ideas?

Comment

Just had a thought, the SectionPageName var holds the names of the catalogue pages and these pages aren't stored in structured folders on the dev server so they wouldn't have a path name in front of them. That's why the above og:url Meta tag works. Still can't explain the issue with the og:image tag though.

Comment

You could try replacing the og:image meta with this (untested):

Code:
                    <meta property="og:image" content="<actinic:variable name="CatalogURL" />
                    <actinic:block php="true">
                    $sImage1 = GetImage("<actinic:variable name="ProductImageFileName" encoding="perl" selectable="false"/>");
                    $sStripImage1 = array_pop(explode ('\\', $sImage1));
                    echo $sStripImage1;
                    />
                    Norman or someone may pop by and have a better method mind.

Comment

Thanks Duncan, I've gone the same way as the guys from Leon Paul and used the AddThis toolbox. I'll maybe come back to this in the future as by using the genuine Facebook button with the Open Graph tags allows you to target Facebook users with ads. Not sure if this can be done with the AddThis solution.

Comment

Adding Facebook like to individual products

Hi all
                        Im using V8 and i want to add a facebook "like" to my products.
                        I have absolutely no idea what to do. i have read many posts on adding code to the site.. but Im not sure where I'm meant to add this code.

Im assuming its going to be somewhere in
                        Design/library/layouts/works best with smart brochure pages

is this right or am i totally barking up the wrong tree?
                        And while I am taking up your time.. a simple bit of code that actually works would be helpful
                        Thanks all
                        Graham
                        www.fogeyunlimited.co.uk

Comment

Hi

I have tried your coding Duncan but get an error on upload. It is a really annoying problem as the button always selects the Facebook logo from the bottom of my site instead of the product image!

Geraldine
                          Stardust Funky Kids T-Shirts

Comment

Facebook LIKE button

Hello there. I wonder if anyone can help me before i totally ruin my site bu doing the wrong thing. I'm trying to add a "like" button to my products and I'm using a "Standard layout" template for all products.. I have looked at the Facebook site and the code that it suggests.. but there are 2 bits of code.
                            Firstly this..
                            <div id="fb-root"></div>
                            <script>(function(d, s, id) {
                            var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0];
                            if (d.getElementById(id)) return;
                            js = d.createElement(s); js.id = id;
                            js.src = "//connect.facebook.net/en_GB/all.js#xfbml=1";
                            fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs);
                            }(document, 'script', 'facebook-jssdk'));</script>

... which it says to add after the "body'.. i can't find the body on my layout template code

secondly I'm meant to add this..
                            <div class="fb-like" data-href="http://www.fogeyunlimited.co.uk" data-send="true" data-width="450" data-show-faces="true"></div>

.. but, again, no idea where..

help...
                            please..

thanks
                            Graham

Comment

Working...
                            X