No announcement yet.

Files not included in the snapshot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can we get rid of that as phase 2 though please after 3 months of successful installation of new features. At the moment, that option is the only way I can reliably get the files uploaded to a site that I need. Normski has been having problems with his addons in this area too, we now have to manually add files in V9 that we did not in V8, I'd be pulling my hair out if I was him rewriting his readmes.

Comment

A feature of Actinic that has not moved with the times shocker.

Football Heaven

For all kinds of football souvenirs and memorabilia.

Comment

Originally posted by drounding View Post
        Tracey,

So for example we could add a folder for each site to contain subfolders perhaps of files that we want included.

Two questions then:
        1. Will the snapshot fail if the folder or file is not found?
        2. Will it also include subfolders?
        1. No the snapshot will not fail
        2. Sub-folders are not a supported feature, however, I've been doing some testing and it will take sub-folders but there is an issue whereby the path to the sub-folder includes the parent folder twice, for example:

test1\test2

shows in the snapshot as

test1\test1\test2

Tracy - why did snapshots suddenly change as we never had any problems with them prior to v9?
        I've been told that they haven't changed. The problems listed here were in v8 but I'm talking about full snapshots and not Design snapshots.
        Tracey
        SellerDeck

Comment

I'm talking about full snapshots and not Design snapshots.
          So am I as I have NEVER used a design snapshot as they have NEVER worked since they were introduced in V8.

I beg to differ as to your statement about snapshots in V9 as they were altered to stop them importing into unlicenced copies of V9. I repeorted this just after V9 was released as a major problem and that files were being missed after installing some of norms addons. So they were altered and CD at the time confirmed this - the fact is that in V8 snapshots work ok and in V9 they fail. To me this is a show stopper to designing in V9 as they can no longer be trusted ALSO I noticed yesterday that my snapshots have been producing the dreaded empty snapshots again???

Comment

Originally posted by RuralWeb View Post
            So am I as I have NEVER used a design snapshot as they have NEVER worked since they were introduced in V8.
            I am working on a complete redesign of a site and tried all sorts of ways to get the new site into and existing site, all it did was trash the site completely, to be honest i dont understand why the design snapshot option even exists

i ended up having to use a hieracal import which trashed only 15% of the site after i had to remove blank lines actinic had put into the export in the 1st place

Comment

I guess V9 snapshots are well and truly buggered - this is one from a couple of months ago that I just tried to import into a MS Virtual PC this morning, it produces this:

Library error - The structure of local file header is damaged! has been caught.

So I tried snapshots from a few days around this and again, same error.

Now in the process of importing a current snapshot to ensure they are actually working.

The 'Details' of the error message say to contact Actinic Support or your Reseller - I feel sorry for all the resellers out there as this will make them all look plain stupid.

_________

Don't feel the need to comment on V9 Design snapshots - it'll be 13 weeks this coming Monday since the support ticket(s) were opened (a few have been opened due to various issues the Design snapshot has caused and/or the poor quality of V9 snapshots) - in that time I can count on one hand the number of calls I have received from support in regard to the issues - unless you do the chasing you'll never get an answer. I don't know if this is sheer discourteousness or a fully-blown embarrassment for the board of Actinic.

Rant over for this hour

Comment

I guess V9 snapshots are well and truly buggered
                They were shown to be problematic during beta test days when I think one of jos snapshots failed to import with missing files and I had to get a client to email us one of norms php files.

I recon that it is all due to the change to prevent snapshots importing into unlicened copies ie something designed to detect and prevent the import is actually detecting and preventing bits in licenced copies. i remember saying at the time that it was a bad idea and that a better method was to use that used in the designer software that limits the number of orders held and also writes demo over the reciepts and invoices.

Comment

I remember saying at the time that it was a bad idea and that a better method was to use that used in the designer software that limits the number of orders held and also writes demo over the reciepts and invoices.
                  Exactly Malcolm - I'm not sure what Actinic thought this would fix, unlicensed software, cracked software - I don't know but it certainly hasn't worked. It just causes even more grievances for the genuine users of the software.

LOL - Who'd have guessed

Comment

Mandelson on the case again I see lol.

Comment

I'm not sure what Actinic thought this would fix, unlicensed software
                      It was in responce to certain forum members on here telling people how to crack the 30 day trial and one in particular running the software for 2 years before buying it and then getting upset when he was told it was out of date.

As with the banks we now all suffer because of a few idiots

Comment

It was in responce to certain forum members on here telling people how to crack the 30 day trial and one in particular running the software for 2 years before buying it and then getting upset when he was told it was out of date.

As with the banks we now all suffer because of a few idiots
                        Yep - I had heard one of those stories. We should probably stop telling people to use Google search. There are a few software creators who have done a bloody fantastic job of stopping software piracy. One I personally know has over 10k users of the software and you won't find it 'cracked' anywhere simply because of the stringent way the software has been developed and because he actively seeks out those who try to undermine his presence.

As it is Catalog that is having the piracy issues, why don't Actinic lock it down? Ie. When buying the software you need to specify the domain name you want to use the software with, which is hard-coded into the software and will only allow the software to upload to that domain and lock the Business Settings to the exact business name supplied when buying the software. It is the same mob who is burning Actinic, so why don't they do something about it? Others have.

Comment

When buying the software you need to specify the domain name you want to use the software with,
                          That is done automatically when the software is first made live so they do know what licence is associated with what domain and can tell if its being used for multiple sites.

Comment

That is done automatically when the software is first made live so they do know what licence is associated with what domain and can tell if its being used for multiple sites.
                            Yet nothing is done about it? Kids in glasshouses...

IMO it needs a set up where they are notified of the software being used for X domain as well as the software being locked so it can only be used for X domain. Everyone would have their own unique version of the software - I didn't spend 3 years in software engineering for no reason, I know this can be done and it's obvious it needs to be done.

Comment

It's the trial software that's the problem - so that's what was targeted. I've not heard of problems with the licences software being cracked.

Comment

Hey there, Thought I would drop by..
                                As it is Catalog that is having the piracy issues, why don't Actinic lock it down? Ie. When buying the software you need to specify the domain name you want to use the software with, which is hard-coded into the software and will only allow the software to upload to that domain and lock the Business Settings to the exact business name supplied when buying the software.
                                Good suggestion, but still complex, and what happens if the customer has changed domain name,or wants to test the site on a test server, you not giving them that freedom. Also you need to factor that Actinic is working on v10, and what you asking for is a big chance, as in software development, such a thing would need to be written as a design specification, etc. I also did Software Engineering and was in the development of Actinic before I left.

Library error - The structure of local file header is damaged! has been caught.
                                Just to ask, you not exporting the snapshot onto a network drive or flash drive, if so, then don't do it, export it onto the desktop and then copy it across. Actinic will create a temp file, and it doesn't like it if it is on a network drive.

Kind Regards

Nadeem

Comment

Working...
                                X